CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Actually, NBC thankfully didn't show us very much of Phil's demolition derby. I agree with you, though, that they simply talk too much. They fear an economy of words and a poignant silence. Maybe they are paid by the word.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    The thread was not started as a "TROLL THREAD"

If I am in the minority then a lot of my friends are in the same group as am I.
    Intended or not, it is a troll thread.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Actually, NBC thankfully didn't show us very much of Phil's demolition derby. I agree with you, though, that they simply talk too much. They fear an economy of words and a poignant silence. Maybe they are paid by the word.
    At the risk of sounding totally biased that why I LOVE the BBC golf coverage. They probably speak half as much and when they do they don't ususally just state the obvious or simply describe what we are all watching. They seem to give the viewer some credit and actually assume we are watching the pictures and know a little about golf....but as I said...I guess I am completely biased

Educate me. Which posts constitute examples of trolling. Obviously, I don't know its meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Call it what you want.

Now I know why I quit visiting this forum. It appears that Tiger Lovers and those from Ottawa can speak their minds. All others are not welcome.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

As I posted earlier, I like the thread. Thanks for starting it.

Call it what you want.

Now I know why I quit visiting this forum. It appears that Tiger Lovers and those from Ottawa can speak their minds. All others are not welcome.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Educate me. Which posts constitute examples of trolling. Obviously, I don't know its meaning.
    The thread itself mike. Any time a thread is started on a controversial topic, eg tiger it will no doubt start a flame war.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Mike, a "troll thread"can be understood by looking at the definition of a troll.

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. They try to start arguments and upset people. Sometimes they do so by directly antagonizing individuals or groups of people. They will often do so indirectly by reviving topics that are known to be controversial, posting flaimbait topics (religon politics, sexuality) and sometimes stating an outlandish opinion to spark a backlash.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. Indeed, the greater the fuss they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it).
    The anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish. They are easily identified by the fact that they are constantly at odds with other members of the forum, and often take shots at individuals they have disagreed with in the past, trying to provoke a reaction.
    Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash or ridicule.When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.
    As to this thread being a troll thread, I think not. The controversy factor is not nearly worthy of the backlash that a real troll thread would have. It's just an opinion that has been expressed before.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Jeff, the shame is that it's not the thread itself that's problematic. One should not fear to raise an issue of interest. The problem lies with those who can't respond to that thread thoughtfully. From my perspective, they're the trolls, not the initial poster.

The thread itself mike. Any time a thread is started on a controversial topic, eg tiger it will no doubt start a flame war.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    It's just an opinion that has been expressed before.
    Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...again
    You only get out of something what you put into it

That was succinct, succinct, succinct ....

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...again

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    It's a waste of time is what it is, don't post ANOTHER new thread on the same topic find an old one and bring it back to life if you want to bring up Tiger Woods again. It's never Tiger fans bringing him up on this board it's the guys that have a hate on for him, can we start a tiger haters side forum. You guys can have a grand ol time in there and we won't have to listen to your snide commentary over and over about the SAME thing.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    OK I think we have all said our bit regarding the haters / trolling. Let's get back on topic if anyone has anything else to add.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Holy Crap McIlroy! what a fantastic performance...I don't think I have seen golf played much better than he played this week. I am so happy for him. And for what is worth I thought Tigers congratulatory tweet was a nice touch

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Totally agree with Golfbum ! So nice to be able to watch the rest of the field for a change. I actually watched most of the tourney live, not in my TW mode (ie - PVR it and then fast forward through all the Tiger nause). Chalk me up clearly in the minority group - I will be completely happy if TW never plays another game. Too many other good young players to watch these days. Well done Rory ... I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of you in the future.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Amen to that. Saw him in 2000 at the Bell Canadian Open. Best ever.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    > Amen to that. Saw him in 2000 at the Bell Canadian Open. Best ever.

Fourlights,

Are you sure about that ? Rory would have been about 11 years old in 2000.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    > Amen to that. Saw him in 2000 at the Bell Canadian Open. Best ever.

Fourlights,

Are you sure about that ? Rory would have been about 11 years old in 2000.
    I was talking about Tiger. I hit reply instead of reply with quote. Break 68 said I saw Tiger Woods play in person at the Byron Nelson in 2000, and no one plays or strikes the ball like Tiger did in 2000. No one.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    I was talking about Tiger. I hit reply instead of reply with quote. Break 68 said I saw Tiger Woods play in person at the Byron Nelson in 2000, and no one plays or strikes the ball like Tiger did in 2000. No one.

Rory was striking it pretty solid during the 4 rounds. Actually Rory strikes it pretty solid anytime he plays. He learned from his mistakes at the Masters and made no mistakes this time around.

Plus he is fun to watch. He doesn't stand around wasting time before hitting shots. Gets the yardage, pulls the club and steps up and hits it. No club tossing or swearing after a bad shot.

I loved the expression on his face when he stiffed it on 10 yesterday. Priceless
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

If the guys ahead had been able to play more quickly Messrs. Yang and McIlroy would have finished in 4 hours or less. That's moving along when you're playing in, and trying to win, the US Open. I loved every minute of the tournament. Good golf always captivates me, and there was plenty of it. I can't wait for The Open.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    While watching Rory set a record for the first 36 holes of a U.S. Open IS THE BEST GOLF YOU HAVE SEEN in a 36 hole stretch.

Other than the double on 18 yesterday no one has played better in the first two rounds of a U.S. Open. Not Woods, Jack, Arnie, Miller, Watson, NOOOOOOOOOOO BODY
    These types of posts are also why I seldom post here anymore. Too many negative post to make people react. Rory was incredible to watch no question. Perfect swing and gentlemen. I like this kid and he will be the next #1 in the world a la Tiger IMO.

But Tiger made the Tour what it is today money wise and attractive for young kids. Not Jack, Arnie…. You say that because you grew up watching those guys. Before Tiger, golf was not that interesting for the casual golf fan. Tiger was and still is a crowed magnet. That sells tickets, attracts the media and that equals $$$$$! Heck Tiger was more popular than most PGA if not all PGA players when he was winning three US AM’s. It was a media circus was he announced he was turning pro. Denying that is blindness IMO.

I hope Tiger comes back with the domination he had in the past years. I think golf would greatly benefit seeing a tight race for #1 in the world between Rory ant Tiger. I just hope Rory can start winning 6-7 tournaments per season and then we might see a duel if Tiger can come back with his A game. If not that we might start seeing negative posts about continuous coverage of Rory in the years to come…….
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    These types of posts are also why I seldom post here anymore. Too many negative post to make people react. Rory was incredible to watch no question. Perfect swing and gentlemen. I like this kid and he will be the next #1 in the world a la Tiger IMO.

But Tiger made the Tour what it is today money wise and attractive for young kids. Not Jack, Arnie…. You say that because you grew up watching those guys. Before Tiger, golf was not that interesting for the casual golf fan. Tiger was and still is a crowed magnet. That sells tickets, attracts the media and that equals $$$$$! Heck Tiger was more popular than most PGA if not all PGA players when he was winning three US AM’s. It was a media circus was he announced he was turning pro. Denying that is blindness IMO.

I hope Tiger comes back with the domination he had in the past years. I think golf would greatly benefit seeing a tight race for #1 in the world between Rory ant Tiger. I just hope Rory can start winning 6-7 tournaments per season and then we might see a duel if Tiger can come back with his A game. If not that we might start seeing negative posts about continuous coverage of Rory in the years to come…….
    Well said! I agree 100%. America loves a comeback story and if Tiger can return and break Jack's record it would be an incredible comeback.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    The Golf channel brought up a good point about what they expect from Rory going forward. Some are saying he's the next golf superstar and that he's going to win many more majors; but some of the commentators were saying he's never talked about chasing records like TW did and he might get complacent.... We'll see what happens. I would bet money that he'll win more majors (3 or 4) in his career but not 14 or 18.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyOctopus View Post
    Well said! I agree 100%. America loves a comeback story and if Tiger can return and break Jack's record it would be an incredible comeback.
    Not as much as the comeback to break Jacks record but more for the rivalry between Tiger and possibly the next one in Rory. The battle would be fun to watch. Tiger has never had a solid rival during his career. Now I guess it would be the other way around. Rory would have a rival IF Tiger comes back.

Could you imagine if Rory would have won the Masters?? Two in a row!!! Let’s see what he will bring to the table at the Brit Open.

Who's being provocative now? Claiming that Tiger made the Tour what it is today invites the very controversy you rail against. You can't have it both ways. For my part, I think that Tiger was an obviously important player on the Tour, but you can make a strong argument that for sustained growth, Arnie's impact was greater. The jump in the number of players taking up the game and sticking with it argue in favor of Arnie and Ike. If Tiger's role in the game was so pivotal, then would his recent self-induced fall from grace have had a corresponding negative effect on the game?

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    I think the coverage yesterday displayed how desperate the tour is for a new star. Throughout the telecast yesterday, they all but annointed Rory as the best player of this generation, and THE guy to beat for the foreseeable future. He's won two tournaments on US soil, and two in Europe. I understand he's just getting going, but I think it's a tad early to be heaping on the praise, and even worse, the expectations. He's got big shoes to fill, and I just hope he doesn't crumble under the pressure being put on him by the sport as a whole.

Best case for golf would be if Tiger came all the way back, and Rory took him down in a major on Sunday. End the Tiger era correctly - not via injury or scandal.

Lastly, why is everyone so sure Rory's a "perfect gentleman"? I'm sure he is a good guy, but aren't these the same expectations the sport placed on the last phenom? Why ensure that any fall from grace is so severe? Why not manage our expectations of a 22 year old man, and assume he's going to make mistakes, swear after a bad shot, and toss a club in frustration here and there. Surely it won't be the worst thing a 22 year old with millions of dollars has ever done.

Lest anyone confuse what I am saying, let me be clear. I would love to see Tiger back in his old form. His presence would make for good golf and good theatre. That said, I am not prepared for a minute to attribute to him a singular influence on the growth of the game. The numbers just don't bear that out. Having said that, I would love to see Tiger, Day, McIlroy and others going toe to toe in the near future. Now that would be memorable. In the meantime, I will rejoice in the talented players that are actually playing right now.

Mike, we could debate this until our faces turns blue. I agree that all great players have made an impact in there era. Let’s just leave it at that. I’m just tired of reading about post of “it’s refreshing of not seeing Tiger on TV but what the heck let’s talk about him anyways”.

Get well Tiger and comeback with your A game. Golf fans need a rivalry for the #1 spot since nobody seems to want to take a grip and run away with it.

I appreciate your point. I have never contended, though, that golf is better without Tiger. To the contrary, when he's playing, he is something else to watch. But I just wish that the networks were more balanced in their coverage when he's present. Having said that, I am with you 100% in wishing to see Tiger back on Tour firing on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Mike, we could debate this until our faces turns blue. I agree that all great players have made an impact in there era. Let’s just leave it at that. I’m just tired of reading about post of “it’s refreshing of not seeing Tiger on TV but what the heck let’s talk about him anyways”.

Get well Tiger and comeback with your A game. Golf fans need a rivalry for the #1 spot since nobody seems to want to take a grip and run away with it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I am not a Tiger hater. I'm a media-loves-Tiger-24/7 hater. It's nice to see some attention go elsewhere after 10+ years of all Tiger, all the time. That being said, if Rory keeps winning now, the media will be in constant orbit around Planet McIlroy, and we'll be right back here in a couple of years complaining about him too.

The media doesn't care who it is, they just have an insatiable hunger for the "next big thing", and they'll ride it through good and bad until they've sucked the life out of it, and then move on to the next meal.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information