CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

U.s. Open minus woods

Hello Golf Fans

Isn't it refreshing to be able and sit down and watch the U.S. Open on TV and actually be able to watch many golfers hit shots?

Isn't it refreshing to not be forced to sit and watch Woods' every move on the golf course? His club slamming, his cursing, watching him walk to his tee shot that is buried in some trees?

I have enjoyed the past two days of coverage Thank You very much. It was nice to hear about the Robert Rock story. It was great to see the Swedish and Italian groupings. It was great to see the amateur players, Sergio, Davis Love lll and others hit shots.

Yes, it is very very refreshing IMO and the guys I golf with and talk to at my club say the same thing.

The icing on the cake would be to have Rory just blitz the rest of the field on the weekend
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    It'd be better with Tiger, the hating gets old too. There are too many emotionless robots on tour and he's one of the few who isn't scared to show what he's feeling imo.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Let the hating begin...
    I actually don't really like Tiger, but he makes everyone play better and he is interesting to watch.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Let the hating begin...
    I actually don't really like Tiger, but he makes everyone play better and he is interesting to watch.
    I have no idea how anyone could have made McIlroy play better...especially a Woods who may be well past his sell by date. That might have been the best 36 holes of golf I've ever seen!....including Woods

I saw Tiger Woods play in person at the Byron Nelson in 2000, and no one plays or strikes the ball like Tiger did in 2000. No one.

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    It'd be better with Tiger, the hating gets old too. There are too many emotionless robots on tour and he's one of the few who isn't scared to show what he's feeling imo.
    Posts like yours are one of the reasons I stopped visiting this forum for a long time. People like you put words in my mouth, and that is rude. You just assume I hate Woods because of my post? I don't hate him, never met him in person. However I will admit I can get along just fine without him being in a PGA event. If you think that is hatred then so be it.

Not once in my thread did I say I hated Woods. I simply said it is refreshing not being forced to watch a one man show. I, and many others I know simply get sick and tired of constantly watching every move Woods makes during a round of golf. Hell he could be 10 shots off the lead and still be shown more than someone who is 3 shots back.

Showing your feelings is one thing. Slamming clubs, cursing and horking on greens is another.

As far as him making others play better. If people think he would have made Rory and others play better if he was in the field this week they are dreaming. Even if he was healthy his game isn't. He would have been luck to make the cut at +4 based his last few rounds of golf.

For the Under The Age of 40 golfers, remember, Tiger did not make the PGA what it is. Arnie, Jack, Gary, Lee and many others who came along well before Woods did that built the PGA up to what is is today.

Sure the purses grew in the last 12 years. They likely would have grown with or with out Woods. The economy was strong, big business had money to toss towards PGA events.

Now with the continued down turn in the economy the PGA is fighting hard to find sponsors for events that are losing sponsorships this year. So tell me, how is Woods helping those events, especially when he doesn't play in them? When was the last time Woods played the Canadian Open? When he won, and he has not been back since. No show of support for our National event.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I have no idea how anyone could have made McIlroy play better...especially a Woods who may be well past his sell by date. That might have been the best 36 holes of golf I've ever seen!....including Woods
    Back to your point, I agree. Woods couldn't make anyone play better this year.

I saw Tiger Woods play in person at the Byron Nelson in 2000, and no one plays or strikes the ball like Tiger did in 2000. No one.
    And that was then and this is now Sure he struck it great back in 2000. So did I, but I ain't know

Too many swing changes have messed Woods up, plus too much time bulking up in the gym. Not to mention his little run in with the EX

Obviously in 2000 Woods was a phenom and you are lucky to have seen such a great player in his prime...but that was 11 years ago now..McIlroy was 10 at the time

I like McIlroy, I do. He is great to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    While watching Rory set a record for the first 36 holes of a U.S. Open IS THE BEST GOLF YOU HAVE SEEN in a 36 hole stretch.

Other than the double on 18 yesterday no one has played better in the first two rounds of a U.S. Open. Not Woods, Jack, Arnie, Miller, Watson, NOOOOOOOOOOO BODY

I like McIlroy, I do. He is great to watch.
    me too mate...and in response to leafmans post I certainly don't find him robotic. He looks so natural and fresh like he is genuinely enjoying himself. I would love to see him pull it off...I think he is great for the game and the way he handled the press after Augusta was really classy

I apologize if you feel I put words in your mouth, but what you posted sounded like you aren't a fan of Tiger and really every time this type of post comes up it is the exact same responses for or against the guy. I'm not sure what you expected to come of the post.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I too am pleased to be watching more golfers display their talents now that Mr. W is not present. Despite the single-minded obsession of the press with Tiger, they are now forced to cover those players who are hot. That's a good thing.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I too am pleased to be watching more golfers display their talents now that Mr. W is not present. Despite the single-minded obsession of the press with Tiger, they are now forced to cover those players who are hot. That's a good thing.
    It's also a "single-minded obsession" with the general public. Ratings are much higher when Tiger plays, and astronomical when he plays well and is in contention. There's a reason why TV would show his every single move. And it's not something to get bent out of shape about, like so many do.

He is one of the two best players to ever live...so any self-respecting golfer should enjoy Tiger's game when on TV.

wow, I completely agree with a sens fan. I'm glad it's in reference to golf, lol.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Its very refreshing to watch the coverage "Tiger free"
    But i'd like him to get his game back too .
    I'd love to see him go up against some of the younger stars , it would make for some great golf .
    Oh by the way ... GO RORY !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

I don't get bent out of shape. I get annoyed. I too enjoy watching Tiger when he's in contention. If he's not in contention, then focus the camera on those who are. His absence compels the network to actually follow the action, which makes me very happy. And unlike the fans who only show up when Tiger is present, I will watch most tournaments because I enjoy golf for its own sake.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I almost shed a tear a couple days ago watching some Tiger clips of his best moments. I mean, Rory is doing pretty well against the field which seem to be struggling, but imagine if Tiger was there and him and Rory were battling it out, now that would make some great golf.

It would be great golf if the "old" Tiger was playing. Unfortunately, the present Tiger is not even a pale shadow of his former self.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I almost shed a tear a couple days ago watching some Tiger clips of his best moments. I mean, Rory is doing pretty well against the field which seem to be struggling, but imagine if Tiger was there and him and Rory were battling it out, now that would make some great golf.

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I apologize if you feel I put words in your mouth, but what you posted sounded like you aren't a fan of Tiger and really every time this type of post comes up it is the exact same responses for or against the guy. I'm not sure what you expected to come of the post.
    You are right about one point. I am not a Woods Fan. Never have been, never will be. Not even when he was winning Majors like he was.

I just never liked his arrogant attitude. I can also tell you that many of the guys I golf with on a regular basis are not fans of him either. So I am not alone on the subject.

As far as TV ratings go, I guess I go against the grain. When Woods was winning I wasn't watching much. When Woods is not present I watch.

I started the thread simply to say how nice it was to be watching a Major without Woods. You know and I know that even if he was playing and was 14 shots back of Rory every shot he hit would be shown. And after not winning a tournament for almost two years that would not be warranted. He is no longer #1 and chances are he may never regain that status. So why show every shot from someone who is no longer #1 and is 14 back?

We didn't see every shot of Like Donald today, and he is the World #1. However he was a long way from the lead. Same went for Kaymer. Westwood, different story, he was having a hell of a round. So he got air time.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I always find these threads to be a mystery. Rather than sit back and enjoy the "Tiger-Free" coverage, a thread is created directly referencing him, inevitably starting up the same stale discussion. Why not just go to one of the numerous Tour-Talk threads that are linking to stories of how good Rory is doing, and discuss his amazing play? There are some people who really enjoy watching Tiger, so if you're going to come in and poke the bee-hive, you should probably expect more stings than honey.

That being said, I hope Rory goes out and tears the course apart tomorrow leaving the USGA scratching their heads... Assuming there's any scalp left to scratch after his first three rounds.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Thanks Hoolio so true, some people don't know when to let a dead horse rest. I love watching Rory or anyone else play well, hopefully he can keep it together tomorrow.

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I always find these threads to be a mystery. Rather than sit back and enjoy the "Tiger-Free" coverage, a thread is created directly referencing him, inevitably starting up the same stale discussion. Why not just go to one of the numerous Tour-Talk threads that are linking to stories of how good Rory is doing, and discuss his amazing play? There are some people who really enjoy watching Tiger, so if you're going to come in and poke the bee-hive, you should probably expect more stings than honey.

That being said, I hope Rory goes out and tears the course apart tomorrow leaving the USGA scratching their heads... Assuming there's any scalp left to scratch after his first three rounds.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    lol...master of the understatement mate

Also what makes this amazing is the fact the rest of the field is not struggling. Woods won in 2000 at -12 and second place was +3

At this open Yang, Westwood and others are playing REALLY well. -6 after 54 holes in the US Open will usually put you in a great position..this year it puts you 8 behind. This is an incredible display. I will be cheering for the young lad tomorrow and really hoping he can do it in style...i think its hard not to like McIlroy...amazing swing, great style of play and seems like a great young man

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post

That's why these threads should be banned as 'troll threads'.

Also, thumbs up to what Sensfan said. Media is just following Tiger b/c he gives them better ratings, good or bad Tiger. So Golfbum should realize he's in the minority when it comes to not watching golf when Tiger plays.

FYI, I don't like Tiger either, but I'll watch whenever he plays.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    That's why these threads should be banned as 'troll threads'.

Also, thumbs up to what Sensfan said. Media is just following Tiger b/c he gives them better ratings, good or bad Tiger. So Golfbum should realize he's in the minority when it comes to not watching golf when Tiger plays.

FYI, I don't like Tiger either, but I'll watch whenever he plays.
    The thread was not started as a "TROLL THREAD"

If I am in the minority then a lot of my friends are in the same group as am I.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    If I am in the minority then a lot of my friends are in the same group as am I.
    That's a logical conclusion.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

You can add me to that minority as well. I enjoy seeing a US Open in which all of the contenders are featured. If that tournament includes Tiger, so much the better. After all, he can be the most exciting golfer around. But if he's not in contention, then a lot of us would rather watch those who are in the middle of the fray than the one who isn't.
    Last edited by mpare; 06-25-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    You can add me to that minority as well. I enjoying seeing a US Open in which all of the contenders are featured. If that tournament includes Tiger, so much the better. After all, he can be the most exciting golfer around. But if he's not in contention, then a lot of us would rather watch those who are in the middle of the fray than the one who isn't.
    I expect a thread about how much Mickelson we were subjected to yesterday. After all, he was well back of anything resembling a contender, and yet I saw many of his shots.

This Open actually reminds me of the "Tiger majors" of five or six or ten years ago. The commentators have to come up with all kinds of to make it interesting, because the lead is so large.

Thread Information