CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Anyhow, I'm starting to worry I'm encouraging bad karma lol, hit 'em high, you can kick my butt on the course , which I'm sure is the case, but I've got five words...

"from my cold dead hands"

peace

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    I think ego is what the golf companies are selling with cb clubs. You can work your game so it seems like it's pretty good and you've mastered the sport, but really all you've done is damage control. It doesn't matter if you keep pressing forward, but if you convince yourself that you are hitting them long and high when you are just swinging way too hard with a poor swing. well, that's a drag.
    Here you claim that a too hard, poor swing with a cavity back is servicable, yet in an earlier post you say The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if CB just feel bettter and don't really perform much better, it's all marketing. You are giving conflicting opinions as to the performance enhancement of cavity backs. Either you believe cavity backs help less than perfect swings, or you believe they don't. You claim they do both.

naw, I'm not sure of one thing or the other, I'm just maing points. I don't think those statements conflict anyhow. I didn't say 100% either way, I claimed the difference is overrated.

Boy, you've got my back eh?

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    naw, I'm not sure of one thing or the other, I'm just maing points. I don't think those statements conflict anyhow. I didn't say 100% either way, I claimed the difference is overrated.

Boy, you've got my back eh?
    Oh I must have misunderstood then. From my experience with both blades and cavity backs, I will say I hit the cavity backs with much greater ease, but that may have something to do with the shafts. I had DG S300 in my blades, and I hit the ball much too low for my liking. With the cavities, I switched to a higher launch shaft and I find it a much easier game. My 2 cents.

I thought about it, you're sorta right I'm playing both sides of the coin a bit I guess, so like, "and even if they help", but I'm sure they are more forgiving, especially the really big ones, it's just curious why you can't find test results on line. that article I linked to talks about some test data but doesn't show you any.

Blades just aren't as unforgiving as some say, but you do feel it. A lot of crappy shots still end up on the green all the same, they just don't feel as good, or sound as good lol. That article says the cb were a bit better on heel mis where blades weren't too bad, and notably better on toe mis where blades suck lol. I would expect cb to be far superior on way off center hits, of course they have to be since there's no club there with a smaller blade. Hence allowing one to get away with swinging harder, at this point though I'm just talking out my hat. Like I said though, good luck finding any hard data on this topic.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I will admit I love the feel of forged irons. Now mind you I played forged Adams A4's, Mizzie 57's. Not blades, but the 57's are not a true CB either.

Now, I will also admit I was impressed with the feel of the new Burner 2.0 irons I just put in my bag. That clunky cast feel is not there.

Let's face the facts about working the ball. A good player can work the ball with a draw, fade or hit it straight whether they are playing forged blades, forged CB's or cast CB's. It is all about the swing, not the tool in this case. My swing gives me that high draw. I need to work on being able to hit a fade with my irons, it makes going after pins on my course a lot easier. It won't happen this year, our range was rebuilt this spring and not ready to use. However I will work on it when I can.

The bottom line is this IMO. Getting fit for what ever set of irons you are going to use. And being totally honest with yourself. When the Pro at the course I belong to asked me how far I hit my 7 iron before we started the fitting session I told him, 145-150 and 150 is a big 7 for me. He said "Well it is nice to know you are honest about your game, a lot of guys are not and it makes fitting harder for me"

I'd be willing to bet that most Pro's who fit people for clubs are not going to recommend blades unless that person is a scratch golfer. I know mine would not. I also have a friend who is a CPGA pro and he sure wouldn't recommend blades to a higher handicap player. It's all about improving your game.

Years ago when Callaway brought out the CB irons, they were shovels no doubt about that. But now CB's are good looking irons, thinner top lines etc. Times have changed.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

Ok so you hit one off the toe with a blade. Instant feed back right?

So you hit one off the toe of a CB. Instant feedback because the ball did not go any where close to where you wanted it to go.

Now here is another thought. I'd be willing to bet that most golfers do not even get fit for their irons. Why go buy a set of nice forged blades and not get fit for your swing? But it happens constantly, and I know because I worked part time in the golf retail business at a very busy golf store.

Like I said in my original post, play em if you want, get that instant feedback when you miss hit a shot and make a smooth double.

I will be the first to admit I do not like the big "Shovels" that were classified as GI irons.

However today's irons look great and can be GI irons. I know those Burner 2.0's I just put in the bag yesterday are pretty sweet looking sticks IMO. So are the new Callaway Razors.

I would have to say that my first set of GI irons was a set of TaylorMade 200's. I was fit for those irons and those things were so easy to hit it was scary. My index dropped 2.5 strokes within one month of putting those irons in my bag. And they were not clunky looking irons either.

Like everyone else I love the looks of blades. But I am not about to put them in my bag based solely on looks.

Apparently many of you have a different goal in golf than I do.

My goal is go to out on the course and shoot the lowest scores that I can. My goal is not to go out on the course, hit bad iron shots (with blades) and think, "Hmmmm, gotta work on that on the range"

Making birdies, isn't fun? Having the chance to make more birdies in a round is not fun?

And there are guys I golf with who would kill to have a nice high draw with their irons. Much like I want to get back to being able to fade the ball when need arises.

Come on folks, take a good hard look at the pros. They have equipment in their bags which helps them shoot low scores. That is where the money is.

Hey if you are happy shooting higher scores with blades then go be happy. Again, my goal is to lower my scores.

"Hey Ed, I have a nice set of forged blades in my bag now"

"Is that right Bob, how do you like them?"

"Well Ed I love em, when I hit a shot pure it is awesome. I hit 3-4 shots that were pure today"

"What did you shoot Bob?"

"I shot 95 Ed, but man I hit a few pure iron shots with those blades"

Well spoken right there. I just can not grasp why any amateur golfer would want to make the game harder than it already is.

You hear, "Instant feedback" "Pure shots" "I can work the ball" etc etc

Meanwhile they are struggling to break 90 on most days on courses that are not that tough.

If that is enjoying the game then I must be missing something here. I thought enjoying the game involved great shots, (not just one or two a round with BLADES" and low scores.

After 29 years of golfing I have now found out I am searching for the wrong things in golf. I am supposed to be playing blades, hitting the odd pure shot and not scoring low.

I guess all the major manufacturers of golf clubs have it all wrong too. Pushing those game improvement irons at us every year. Ping, Callaway, Cobra, TaylorMade, etc, they all have it wrong. We are supposed to be suffering out on the course, not enjoying ourselves by shooting good scores. And they have the nerve to make irons that are easier to hit and score with.

I am not saying they are hard to hit. I am saying that the majority of golfers have high handicaps (Most are not man enough to admit to that fact though, or they reverse sandbag for their own ego)

Anyone over a 10 index should not be playing blades for the sake of hitting the odd pure shot.

As I said, the idea of golf is to post a low score. Interesting, I am watching the Travelers and Cantlay is near the lead. I didn't see a blade iron in his hand. But hey, what the hell, he is only rated as the #1 Amateur in the world.

As I said, I worked in a golf retail store part time for two summers and never sold a set of blades to anyone.

Same applies to guys who think they need a stiff shaft in their driver. Meanwhile their swing speed is under 95 MPH. The used driver bins are full of stiff shafted drivers, why is that?

Honest story here. I was working one evening at the store. A guy comes in, wants a new driver and asks for a steel shaft. Of course I told him no one makes drivers with steel shafts. He stated he had a very fast swing speed and would break a graphite shaft. Told me his average drive was 300 yards.

So I taped up two TM drivers, one stiff and one regular.

Out he goes on the range, I go watch the ball flight.

Not knowing which shaft was which as he didn't look. I hand him the stiff, he blocks every ball right.

I hand him the regular, he hits every ball straight down the range. Gave him the stiff, blocked right again and again.

Back to the regular, every ball down the range, about 240 yards total. (Must be the golf balls, didn't see a ball close to his 300 yard average)

I recommended the regular flex, 10.5 loft. When he looked at the shaft he said "I will break this shaft in one swing at the course"

I said, "if you break it bring it back, under warranty" Apparently he didn't break it!

Just goes to show that a lot of guys do not have any idea of what they should be playing. Or they are too macho to admit to it.

Hey I play what I play, you play with what makes you happy. At the end of the day the low scores always win.

I will admit I love the feel of forged irons. Now mind you I played forged Adams A4's, Mizzie 57's. Not blades, but the 57's are not a true CB either.

Now, I will also admit I was impressed with the feel of the new Burner 2.0 irons I just put in my bag. That clunky cast feel is not there.

Let's face the facts about working the ball. A good player can work the ball with a draw, fade or hit it straight whether they are playing forged blades, forged CB's or cast CB's. It is all about the swing, not the tool in this case. My swing gives me that high draw. I need to work on being able to hit a fade with my irons, it makes going after pins on my course a lot easier. It won't happen this year, our range was rebuilt this spring and not ready to use. However I will work on it when I can.

The bottom line is this IMO. Getting fit for what ever set of irons you are going to use. And being totally honest with yourself. When the Pro at the course I belong to asked me how far I hit my 7 iron before we started the fitting session I told him, 145-150 and 150 is a big 7 for me. He said "Well it is nice to know you are honest about your game, a lot of guys are not and it makes fitting harder for me"

I'd be willing to bet that most Pro's who fit people for clubs are not going to recommend blades unless that person is a scratch golfer. I know mine would not. I also have a friend who is a CPGA pro and he sure wouldn't recommend blades to a higher handicap player. It's all about improving your game.

Years ago when Callaway brought out the CB irons, they were shovels no doubt about that. But now CB's are good looking irons, thinner top lines etc. Times have changed.
    I dunno Golfbum, I'm still not convinced.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

ya, I don't wanna be the problem blade guy. I fall into a bad category, I wou;d hit a modern 7 165, i hit blades and probably haven't been any lower than a 12 in the last 5 years. But I'm wild from one day to the next and it's a lot of lost balls off of the tee. But I'm the guy potentially that thinks he hit's it farther than he does, plays blades etc...

But I was close to SD and dropping before I stopped playing, the game was wooden woods, blade irons and balata balls, so It's not like I migrated to blades, when I thought about buying new clubs in the late 90s I more or less laughed at the shovels. And you're right, I thought I was a better golfer that didn't need them, and as far as the shovels were concerned I was right. Now there's been some stretches since then lol...anyhow.
    Part of me says nobody needs them. You can keeo the big offset, that's just poison IMO, and the huge base, while I hit my share of fat shots, I just hate the feel of a wide flange, even on some of my old mb clubs. I guess you get used to something.

Now they have rational players clubs, that's great, a good iron with a bigger sweetspot, and in my perfect world is should go from barely anything on a 9i, to whatever they think is right on the lower ones, of course no one hits low irons anymore either. Oh, I forgot, I have a 1y in my bag, go ahead laugh, it is funny sometimes, I'm not so serious that the odd blooper doesn't amuse me, even if it costs the odd stroke. But it's the club for short par 4s with tight fairways. The odds of heeling it 50 yards aren't much different than hooking a 3w into the woods, honestly I can't remember the last time I pulled it. It's good conversation piece
    People get the clubs they are recomended cause they don't want to be arogant, but the club industry has become a rediculous mega industry promising you you can buy a better game, I'm just not buying it, or I wasn't. I am starting to wonder now if the game really has changed. Develop a game that takes advantage of the new tech, leverages consistency and a lot of 4 cappers become 2s. I dunno...

I don't care about the working the ball arguments, ya I do occasionally try, but I'm sure I could with rational cb clubs too. I've never played a round with cb clubs so I can't comment on the feedback of where you hit the club. I assume they don't promote center hits as much as blades would, that's just logic, but in the real world is the difference meaningfull? And exactly how much more forgiving are they, my clubs aren't that bad, and they are from the 80s, modern blades have gotten more forgiving too. I had some maxfli assie blades, they launched pretty high and had a pretty good sweetspot.

I just feel like I'm being frog marched into spending hundreds (thousands) of dollars on clubs that are inferior to whats already in my bag. Buying equipment is fun, I admit that, I just love my irons. I grew up playing them though, so YMMV I guess.

I'm just old school

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    I had some maxfli assie blades, they launched pretty high and had a pretty good sweetspot.
    One of the best designed blades ever!
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

Then nokids you just continue to play your blades. When your index stays where it is and you see no improvement in your scores maybe you will see the light.

Sure there are bad swings out there. However there are a lot of damn good swings and those guys are using CB's. For instance, my friend I play with every Sunday morning who is a 5 handicap. Using TM CB irons. Damn good swing, could likely use blades but why would he when he can control the ball with his current irons?

As I said, out of close to 300 bags in the Back Shop when I worked in there for 3 seasons I do not recall seeing any blades. Maybe one set a guy had, and they were not in his bag for long.

All I know is what I saw when I worked at the golf retail store, not too many new or used blades going out the door in this area.

You play what makes you happy and don't worry about improving your scores. Be honest with yourself. Look at how long you have played the game and how many strokes you have taken off your handicap during that time. That will tell the tale right there. Face facts, has your swing improved since you first started playing the game.

I prefer to shoot lower scores. My swing is not a pro swing but it gets the job done. I am an honest 9 handicap on a tough golf course. I have played the game for 29 years, I know what works and does not work for me. Blades are not in the plans. I like my new Burner 2.0 irons, they will do just fine. Look good and feel good.

This will be my last post on this subject because I realize you just can not change some peoples minds when it comes to golf equipment. As my Pro said to me one day "Rick sometimes you have to sell them what they want, not what they need"

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    You make good points. But I'm still hesitant... Could you give me some more examples please?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    This became redundant a long time ago. I don't mean to be rude but what merit does a high handicap have suggesting blades are suitable for someone who rarely finds the center of the face? I rarely see good players neglect technological advances in equipment, it always seems to be the high handicappers..

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    When did golf become purely about technology? I thought the game was about enjoyment. Play the clubs that you enjoy playing, and stop acting all high and mighty because you thing your choice of clubs is superior.

ya, it's the assumption that noone is ever going to improve, or is ever going to hit a decent shot, or doesn't want to shoot low scores etc...I want to shoot low scores, but I'm not going to use equipment I don't like to do it. I'm not a pro and I don't play for money, well, not most of the time lol.

It's the whole mystification of the game that bugs me, it's not that hard if you do a couple things right, I suppose I'll wait until I can actually play better to do any more talking.

Be honest with yourself. Look at how long you have played the game and how many strokes you have taken off your handicap during that time. That will tell the tale right there. Face facts, has your swing improved since you first started playing the game.
    You are suggesting people give up the hope of ever getting better? Or that none of us will ever be good enough to enjoy a round playing blades? I just think that simply isn't true.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I played true blades for over 40 years - Titleist Tour blades and Wilson Staff FG-51 blades. I loved the look and feel of both. As a retirement gift to myself, I bought a then new set of Cobra Pro Forged CB irons. Wow, what a difference. They look like blades, so they satisfy that which appeals to my eyes. At the same time, I can work the ball high and low, left and right. Finally, they are more forgiving than my old irons. Needless to say I am very happy to have made the switch.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

You make good points. But I'm still hesitant... Could you give me some more examples please?

You want a good example, read mpare's post above this one.

Boys I am not suggesting no one can improve their swing. I am just stating that most of us do not have enough time to work on our swing like the pro's do. The majority of them have swing coaches, they have trainers, etc.

I am retired and I have time to hit tons of balls on the range. I just do not have the desire to do so. And there are days I do not have time to hit balls. Even being retired, there are days I just would not be able to go to the range. Then there is winter. Unless you have an indoor range you basically moth ball your swing for 4 months of the year.

Most of you are still working, so do you have the time to go work on your swing between work, family and other activities? I know I sure didn't when I was working 5 days a week.

Wknd_Warrior, yes the game is about enjoyment. For some that means playing with blades. For others that means shooting the lowest scores they can. For others it simply means the enjoyment of their playing partners.

I am not suggesting that people give up on getting better and improving their swings. I am simply suggesting that they put the proper tools in their hands to help them as they improve.

You don't see many trades people using tools that were designed in the 1940's when they can be using tools designed in the present. I don't see many guys fishing with the old fibreglass fishing rods, no they are using graphite rods now. Why should golfers be any different?

Why ignore the improvement in technology? Just look at the pro's. You do not see many of them playing with old technology golf clubs. You also see a fair share of them using CB irons of some sort, whether they are cast of forged irons.

And where did those balleta golf balls go?

Look at how many of them are using the drivers with shafts that can be moved, weights that can be moved, all to adjust those clubs to their swings. Improved distance and accuracy is what they are seeking. If equipment like that is in the pro's bags why should weekend golfers turn a blind eye to it?

Go back a few years, who ever heard of ball fitting back then? Yet now it is an important part of the game for the pro's. Times change, equipment changes and with that comes lower scores.

Again, I have nothing against anyone who wants to play blades. I just feel that the majority of amateur golfers would greatly benefit by using more forgiving irons to improve their games.

jonf, I am not acting all high and mighty because I feel my clubs are superior to yours. That is not what the thread is all about. It is about whether higher handicappers should be playing with blades. My opinion is NO, they should not be using those clubs. IF THEY WANT TO SHOOT THEIR BEST SCORES then they should not be ignoring the new technology that is available in clubs. If they want irons that they feel "Look Good To Them" then fine, play with blades.

One last point, when was the last time you saw someone using a steel shafted 240 CC metal headed driver?
    Last edited by Golfbum; 06-27-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Which blades are you referring to? Modern day blades are a lot easier to hit than blades from the 70's. Modern day blades have a longer hitting area and progressive offset throughout the set.

Old blades:

offset throughout the set is constant
    shorter club length
    weaker lofts
    more upright angles
    sweet spot closer to heel
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Hahhaha fantastic.

I didn't realize blades were such a touchy subject, my bad.

Golftown has a sale on some Callaway X-Forged Irons this week. I'll go see if I can hit them and report back (see what I did there?).

Thanks for the responses though.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

One last point, when was the last time you saw someone using a steel shafted 240 CC metal headed driver?
    Up untill just a few years ago I played a wooden driver I can go on about this as well, the differences are overplayed versus wood, and man, are the old woods nice to hit. Mostly the drivers now are just so big you can get away with swinging like a gorilla at every tee shot. Personally I think 460 is too big, but, eh, I own one lol. The first season or two I'd lose about 6 tee balls a round just trying to kill the ball all day long, too much fun. I'm not sure it's "golf" as I knew it but things change.

I agree that certain clubs that help a grooved swing that's not likely to change much, and that's going to improve scores and enjoyment of the game, sure, but I don't want to contribute to the sense that only pros can shoot in the 70s, many of us think there is nothing wrong with our swing, cause we designed it after all, that's why we never get any better, a different kind of ego. We can make cases around it all day and there is sensible opinions on both sides of the fence. I just get a little splatty when someone thinks (not accusing you) I play blades because I'm trying to convince people I'm a good player by the clubs in my bag. this was the game I grew up playing.
    At the risk again of jyncing myself, I don't need offset to correct my slice, I don't want a higher launch angle, except post 200y irons, but that's pretty immaterial, I'll worry about that when my cap get's down to 3. I don't want a larger sole, even if it helps, I just hate the way that feels. Anbd I don't want heavier clubs, and I don't want my 7i having any larger of a face than it does.
    Give me a nice set that lines up like mine and starts enlargening the sweet spot around 150y and get's pretty forgiving on the long irons and I'll talk about it, but then I don't want to spend the money
    I suck though, so I'm used to dodging arrows on the course, I just say "I'm old school", or "I've played them my whole life" (which is true), or they are too beautiful to take out of the bag ( also true). I don't go on about working the ball etc...I will say I like the trajectory and stabibity and for the most part don't mind the minor mis. I'm not sure a club can save me from my bad days. Now ehn I start thinking a more forgiving club can help me with 2 of the last 5 bogeys on my card, then I might get interested.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    Hahhaha fantastic.

I didn't realize blades were such a touchy subject, my bad.

Golftown has a sale on some Callaway X-Forged Irons this week. I'll go see if I can hit them and report back (see what I did there?).

Thanks for the responses though.
    Deal is online only. Didn't have anything in stock.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Old blades:

more upright angles
    I thought the old clubs were flatter?

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    they were.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I think if you're just starting out at the sport a set of big ol' "cavity shovels" is a great first set. You need to learn how to swing and get a short game and know the rules and etc . .

If you get hooked and start playing regularly (as many of us have) you will probably get decent with this "beginner" set within a couple seasons and start looking around at all of the options available to you and a change/upgrade(a proper fitting after building a consistent swing perhaps?) at this point would probably improve your scores.

If you're constantly playing and improving/changing your game you may go through many clubs (as I have) until you find something that you like and that works. (I've had a set of tommy armours, callaways, couple pings and now titleists).

At some point or another life will catch up with you and your skill development will probably get put on the back burner for work/kids etc and you will hit a ceiling mostly affected by how much you play.

I'm going to assume that this is where most people on this forum are at right now: play the same amount of rounds most summers (10-20-50+) and if they're being honest with themselves don't see large improvements unless they increase the frequency of their playing and practicing. (If you play 5 times a year and see improvements every summer I hate you)

If you want to play as well as you can at this point then getting properly fitted for a set of clubs that suits your swing and playing ability will definitely help your scores (by at least a little).

I would encourage any reader of this thread to wander into a golftown and grab a few 6 irons and do their own test. Pick your favourite brand and grab their most shovel-y option, the butter-knife and something in between and hit some balls.
    I'm willing to bet that a few of those butter knife shots would be wet/sandy/covered in burnt worms whilst the shovels and CBs are coming down on greener surfaces more often. (I can't really hit shovels straight any more but I also shank blades too often so I opt for the in between every time)

If your enjoyment comes from anywhere other than scoring to your maximum potential, this advice may not apply to you and I hope you enjoy golf as much as I do.
    Even I've never heard of me

DUNLOP aussie blade 3 iron l(l978)Lie 58 degrees- length 38.5- loft 23 degrees

pitching wedge lie 65 degrees loft 51 degrees length 35 inches

Modern clubs PW 64 degrees lie- 35.5 to 36 inches length- Loft 47 degrees

So a pitching wedge at 65 degree lie is more upright and even more at 35 inches which imho is short. Moreover the loft of you aussie blades is 4 degrees weaker than most of today's pitching wedges

Take a look at the
    MALTBY M-SERIES MMB FORGED IRON HEADS

Mahatma Gandhi

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    after that sweet rounf yesterday, looks like bneill should be going to GI irons today.

Depends on the manufacturer. Aussie blades wer more upright but shorter in length which offsets the more upright lie.Louisville golf had a PW at 35 inches and 62 degree lie and Mario Cesario had a 35 inch long 65 degree lie PW. Anyhow it would be best to get fitted for lie
    Mahatma Gandhi

FWIW
    http://www2.cybergolf.com/newsletter...&courseid=2116

"Do Clubs Really Make That Much Difference?"

By Lynn Griffin,
    IPAC Member, KZG Master ClubFitter, World�s Top 100 ClubFitter,
    Swing Surgeon's Director of Club Fitting (formerly Peak Performance Golf)
    This is one of the most frequently asked questions by individuals looking to improve their golf games. A close second would be, �Should I wait until my swing gets better before I get fit?� I usually answer that question with a question. If you play baseball, how important is it to have the proper size glove and correct bat weight? If you run track, how important is it to have the correct size shoes? Ever try to play basketball, football, or soccer with an under inflated ball? So, if the equipment is key to success in playing all of these other sports, why do golfers put such little importance on their equipment? Truth be told, the clubs have a huge influence on your ability to hit a good golf shot. To illustrate this point, I am going to share the results of an actual fitting I conducted.

This fitting involved a gentleman that had a very good swing but he hit everything to the right. His swing was technically sound and there was really no good reason for the ball to be going right. He was playing a newer set of the larger headed clubs that had been �custom fit� by one of the crazy expensive places. He had literally spent thousands of dollars on these clubs. After watching him labor to hit the golf ball with negative results, I went into the fitting lab and returned with a small headed muscle back blade. I asked him to just hit a few shots with this club and let�s see what happened. He hit the first ball, nice high soft draw. Second ball, nice high soft draw and on and on it went. Now, what was happening? By putting a smaller club head in his hands he was able to square the club face rather than having it left wide open. Thus, he is rewarded for his good swings. In fact, everything else about the blade that I handed him was an ill fit for him. The shaft was too heavy and was too stiff for his swing. The point to this is that even with the wrong shaft he was able to hit great shots with the correct head.

My advice to all that are unhappy with their present equipment is to get fit by a professional fitter. It could have a very dramatic and positive effect. There is no good reason to wait until your swing gets better. As with this gentleman, the swing would not have gotten better with the equipment he was using. The variables measured in a fitting that have to do with the dynamics of the swing do not fluctuate a significant amount with an improved swing. An improved swing results in better scoring and properly fitted equipment allows you to improve your swing.

One premise that I have always stood by is that great golf is impossible without a positive mental attitude, a sound swing, and properly fitted equipment. Remove any of the three and the game goes south. Do yourself and your game a favor: don�t let the equipment be the missing link.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information