100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar

Cavity vs Blades

So I was in Golftown last night, just perusing. I decided to take a few swings with the Nike VR Tour Split-Cavities and compare them to the Forged Tour Blades.

I am not convinced that they are worth the $500 price difference lol, but holy crap did I ever fall in love with them. I was ridiculously close to walking out with a set.

So thumbs up to blades... but boo-urns to the $1k price tag.

I currently play a 10 year old set of knock-off X-18 full cavities and would like to upgrade in the near future. Maybe when I win the lottery?
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    habsfan just got another set of blades and he let me test out a swing on the course, man did it ever feel solid when I hit it, and the flight was beautiful. Another year or two and I'll consider switching over

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Don't buy em new, check out ebay.ca or golfwrx.com and you can find sets for a very solid price.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road

Cool

Nothing feels better than a well struck iron shot with blades...pure butter. However, blades + cord grips + mi may be one of the worst feelings in golf. Switched to cavity-back a couple of years ago (TM tour preferred) and admit the playability is far better (as expected). I still have my old mizu blades and take them to the range every few weeks. If you are working on something the feedback is great.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreen View Post
    Nothing feels better than a well struck iron shot with blades...pure butter. However, blades + cord grips + mi may be one of the worst feelings in golf. Switched to cavity-back a couple of years ago (TM tour preferred) and admit the playability is far better (as expected). I still have my old mizu blades and take them to the range every few weeks. If you are working on something the feedback is great.
    I guess I should say bad hit?

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Lol does the software automatically censor some words? Mi.

I take that as a yes.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Blades are awesome. No better feedback for your game than hitting a set of blades. You know exactly where your mis-hits are, and you know when you've hit it right. Obviously, you can also work the ball like crazy.

Looking for more affordable blades? http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...e-Grooves-3-pw

I have a set of blades ( Mizuno MP33), a set of cavity blades (Titleist DCI 962B) and a set of cavity backs (Titleist AP1). Unless you are a low handicap player who likes to work the ball, and change trajectories, I see no advantage to hitting blades. Hitting it straight at the target is good enough for me, which is why my blades have been permanently retired. But for really good golfers, I can see why they would use them. They do feel sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    I have a set of blades ( Mizuno MP33), a set of cavity blades (Titleist DCI 962B) and a set of cavity backs (Titleist AP1). Unless you are a low handicap player who likes to work the ball, and change trajectories, I see no advantage to hitting blades. Hitting it straight at the target is good enough for me, which is why my blades have been permanently retired. But for really good golfers, I can see why they would use them. They do feel sweet.
    I am about a 6 handicap, and could probably benefit from being able to work the ball more. You are right when saying that they feel quite sweet. I didn't really find any difficulties in hitting them when I tested them out last night, quite the opposite actually.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for sales, ebay, other sites etc.

Thanks for the convo.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    i switched from a full set of blades to a mixed set with the 3 and 4 iron being cavity backs and i hit them worse then the full blades, i cant stand the look of the cavity backs compared to the blades. good thing i have the 3 and 4 blades still, will be shafting those soon enough.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Don't forget that there are varying degrees of cavity back.

I am playing a set of "player's" cavity backs which have a very small cavity. At address they look like the equivalent blade and only offer minimal forgiveness of off center hits. There there are the full on, game improvement shovels. Those are much more forgiving on off-center contact but are typically very big and clunky looking.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    If you're looking for an affordable set with a little forgiveness:

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...-Prophet-Tours

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    So what are you waiting for LOL. I'ma 11 HDCP. and play blades and no way would I go to a CB set unless I was hitting the long irons,witch I am not. I took my old CB forged irons out yesterday and today and had the worst games of the year. The blades are back in the bag.There is always a good set waiting for a home here on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    I am about a 6 handicap, and could probably benefit from being able to work the ball more. You are right when saying that they feel quite sweet. I didn't really find any difficulties in hitting them when I tested them out last night, quite the opposite actually.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for sales, ebay, other sites etc.

Thanks for the convo.

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    I just picked up a set of Titleist 735cm's which are blade/progressive. I am not a great golfer and shoot mid 80's yet I am able to hit these irons great! I have used them 5 or 6 times now and every game my ball striking gets better. I usually have 1-3 holes where I butcher my score due to a stupid miss hit. But it gives me great feedback and then I can adjust. The one thing I am now missing more than anything is the spin I was able to get from my Cobras. I used to be able to spin the ball back to the hole and with these Titleists I find it very hard.. Maybe because they don't have sharp grooves??

I have also been hitting every club further since my ball flight is better.

I have been going to the range and practicing working the ball, and I can work it pretty good sometimes... But when I get to the course I butcher every shot if I try to work it.....Frustrating.

Cheers,
    Just another lefty....

Putter SimSoph is on a distinguished road
    I'm in a similar boat as you. I carries an 8 last year dispite playing < 15 times. I moved from a set of T-Zoids to cavity backs last year. It really improved my game because of consistency. I find that my mis were not costing me as much as in the past as slightly off-centre hits were much closer to "pure" distance.

One bit of advice would be to move up shaft stiffness if you are moving to cavity backs, it will assist in keeping the trajectory of your shots in control.

Quote Originally Posted by SimSoph View Post
    I'm in a similar boat as you. I carries an 8 last year dispite playing < 15 times. I moved from a set of T-Zoids to cavity backs last year. It really improved my game because of consistency. I find that my mis were not costing me as much as in the past as slightly off-centre hits were much closer to "pure" distance.

One bit of advice would be to move up shaft stiffness if you are moving to cavity backs, it will assist in keeping the trajectory of your shots in control.
    I'd be doing the opposite and would be going from full cavities to blades. If I do end up with a set, rest assured that they would be fit properly.

Even just thinking about the possibility of owning them gives me goosebumps lol. I need to go play....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Blades are awesome. No better feedback for your game than hitting a set of blades. You know exactly where your mis-hits are, and you know when you've hit it right. Obviously, you can also work the ball like crazy.
    Don't really understand the meaning of the bolded part. If my club face is 2* open at impact, the club head path is 4* from the inside and the contact point is the percussion centre, the ball will draw. How will the flight of the ball off a cavity and a blade differ under these parameters?

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Don't really understand the meaning of the bolded part. If my club face is 2* open at impact, the club head path is 4* from the inside and the contact point is the percussion centre, the ball will draw. How will the flight of the ball off a cavity and a blade differ under these parameters?
    Well if you had a Rapture iron and a S56 I can almost guarantee they will have a different ball flight.
    It has to do with the dimensional and mass properties (cg, offset, bounce) between the 2 heads that allow more workability with a blade. I know what you are sayin there are only 9 possible flight paths so 2* open and 4* in-out should give the same flight. However the ability to deliver the club to this impact position with a cavity and blade will require different swings. I think its also visually and mentally for better ball strikers.
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    These threads frustrate me to no end; handicap golfers should not be playing blades. It makes the game a lot harder, especially from the rough for no good reason. It makes no sense to make the game harder than it already is.

Pitching Wedge sandbagger is on a distinguished road
    What do you play bNeill?

Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
    What do you play bNeill?
    Mizuno MP62's.

hmm. i do agree with you for the most part. but some people may like the look of blades better, and the confidence that it gives them could be enough to offset what they lack in their swing.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I respectfully disagree with you. I will never be a scratch golfer and my swing is way from perfect but,I enjoy the feel of hitting blades pure once in a while.
    Its a personal choice and thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    These threads frustrate me to no end; handicap golfers should not be playing blades. It makes the game a lot harder, especially from the rough for no good reason. It makes no sense to make the game harder than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you. I will never be a scratch golfer and my swing is way from perfect but,I enjoy the feel of hitting blades pure once in a while.
    Its a personal choice and thats all that matters.
    Do what you like of course but you're choosing to give up shots and not play to your potential.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Frustrate you? Are you serious? what business of your's is it what kind of clubs other people play?

I couldn't disagree with you more, the merits of cb are far overstated. As far as I'm concerned they benifit good players more than high handicappers. telling an 18 that the irons he plays are really going to change his game is what is frustrating.

I have already reached my potential at 58 years old. Quite happy with my game right now and I play golf for the social aspect of it and not to break records.

Do what you like of course but you're choosing to give up shots and not play to your potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    Frustrate you? Are you serious? what business of your's is it what kind of clubs other people play?

I couldn't disagree with you more, the merits of cb are far overstated. As far as I'm concerned they benifit good players more than high handicappers. telling an 18 that the irons he plays are really going to change his game is what is frustrating.
    I'm not sure what you mean by they benefit good players more than bad. i thought that the point of cavity back irons was providing forgiveness on offcenter hits. I could be wrong but dont high handicappers have more offcenter hits?
    The only reason im siding with bNeill on this one is because cavity back irons are a great inovation in golf, and unless you are looking for a more "historic" experience, then i dont know why you would use blades

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post

As a better player I see many higher handicap players with clubs either ill-fitted or not designed for their game. Considering the majority of people want to shoot the lowest score possible they are giving up potential strokes.

Please refer me to a study that concludes that "the merits of cb are far overstated." Unless only good players miss the sweet spot then no, they benefit anyone who misses the center of the clubface.

Marcos: I play frequently with a 69 year old who breaks par often on a very difficult golf course; you've only reached your potential if that's what you have decided for yourself.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information