100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid swing

Im a fixture here mathc38 is on a distinguished road mathc38's Avatar

Hybrid swing

I know that there has been postings on this matter in the past but I figured I'd bring it up again and get some fresh views on it. What is the appropriate swing to use when hitting a hybrid? Iron swing or fairway, sweeping swing? Does it depend on the hybrid type (low profile, fairway wood type or iron, bulky type)...I play a fairway wood like hybrid, low profile (burner superfast rescue) and while having success with it early this season, have been fighting with it since. I use to use a sweeping swing on it, picking the ball of the turf cleanly with minimal divot. Ball position would be forward in my stance...probably about a ball-ball and a half forward of centre. After much ready online and just seeing I could get different/better results, I've taken up hitting it like an iron, ball position in the middle of my stance and taking a divot..issue with this method is now I've started fading the ball left (i'm a lefty) and this is with the superfast rescue (and we all know that these rescues are a good degree closed to begin with)...Please feel free to offer your opinions, views and experiences. I mainly use the hybrid as my 5 wood and mainly off the fairway when trying to go for a par 5 in 2.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hit it like an iron.

The original purpose of the hybrid was to make it easier to hit long shots out of the rough. If you only use it off the fairway as a 5W replacement, why not just get a 5W?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

can't find a 5W low profile enough for my liking..

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Ive said it before and Ill say it again.. the more you hit down on it the more the path will go out to the left(for a lefty)... you need to aim more right.

why is that though?

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    watch this video and it will explain.. easier than me typing it out again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sIQ-7DJJbU

Putter snowmen10 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Hit it like an iron.

The original purpose of the hybrid was to make it easier to hit long shots out of the rough. If you only use it off the fairway as a 5W replacement, why not just get a 5W?
    I never hit a hybrid before, as the last time I played golf was 7 years ago. So I bought an hybrid today, it felt very weird... I really don't know why everyone said hit like iron... If I use iron's swing it will slice... Am I doing something wrong here?

I'm not even using full swing...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It depends on the hybrid.

Most hybrids that you buy are too long since they want you to get the most distance on perfect hits. Also, some are designed to be more like woods than irons. If you have one of those you might need to adjust your swing.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    I have a couple of 5w lh heads with very low profiles if you are interested.

The new Wishon 929 HS is a very compact head with a face height of 31 mm ( 1.22'' )

The other is a Zero Tolerance Fairway Master witch features tungsten weights in the wide sole and has a face height of just 28.575 mm ( 1 1/8'' or 1.125 '') . )

Thread Information