CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Wink How Many Strokes

Dave hits his tee shot right, in to a stand of trees. He declares to his FC that he will play a provisional ball, and hits it to the right as well. Dave, in his frustration, grabs a third ball from his bag, and without declaring it to be a provisional ball, hits it straight down the middle in the fairway.

Dave goes forward to search for his original ball. As he is walking toward the trees, he finds his provisional ball lying in the rough. He drops his hat to mark its location and continues in to the trees to search for the original ball. He searches for 5 minutes, but is unable to find the ball. The original ball is now lost.

Dave returns to where his provisional ball lies and prepares to play it towards the green. His FC says, "Wait, you can't play that ball. You have to play the one in the fairway."

Dave replies, "No I don't. My first ball is lost, and this is my provisional for it. I get to play this one."

Who is right, Dave or his FC? Which ball is the ball in play, and how many strokes has Dave taken?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    According to the rules of golf, Dave would have to play the 3rd ball he hit off the tee into the fairway and he'd be lying 5 strokes at that point.

Next question!

I don't understand why Dave didn't say his 3rd ball was a provisional??? That just seems so weird that he'd call his 2nd ball a provisional but not the 3rd. Braincramp?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    According to the rules of golf, Dave would have to play the 3rd ball he hit off the tee into the fairway and he'd be lying 5 strokes at that point.
    Are you sure? I guess Gerry did not cover this at your recent rules seminar.

Hint: Relationships are important.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Note: If a provisional ball played under Rule 27-2a (the provisional) might be lost outside a water hazard or out of bounds, the player may play another provisional ball. If another provisional ball is played, it bears the same relationship to the previous provisional ball as the first provisional ball bears to the original.
    So this means it is like the first provisional and you do not have to declare it?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    nokids I'm sure you can find the decision for the situation.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

I'm sure nokids is right.

If Dave had found the original ball, it would be a completely different story - but he didn't.

27-2a/4 Three Balls Played from Same Spot; Only Second Ball Was Provisional Ball
    Q. A player, believing his tee shot might be lost or out of bounds, plays a provisional ball. His provisional ball is struck in the same direction as the original ball and, without any announcement, he plays another ball from the tee. This ball comes to rest on the fairway. What is the ruling?

A. If the original ball is not lost or out of bounds, the player must continue play with that ball without penalty.

If the original ball is lost or out of bounds, the player must continue play with the third ball played from the tee as, when this ball was played without any announcement, it rendered the provisional ball lost, regardless of the provisional ball's location. The player would lie 5 with the third ball played from the tee.

In both situations, the third ball bears a relationship only to the previous ball played, i.e., the provisional ball.

The decisions are fun to read. Crazy stuff happening on the course.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Good job Pablo!!!!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I'm sure nokids is right.

If Dave had found the original ball, it would be a completely different story - but he didn't.
    He was, I wasn't, and I've only read that decision 79 times.

Thread Information