100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

2 balls touching in a bunker

I think I know the procedure: closest ball is removed, furthest away hits, recreates the lie, and the closer ball is replaced as close as possible to its original location, and played, I just wanted to double check.
    Andrew

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I think I know the procedure: closest ball is removed, furthest away hits, recreates the lie, and the closer ball is replaced as close as possible to its original location, and played, I just wanted to double check.
    The closest ball is lifted, as you suggest. However, the position of the ball to be lifted must be marked first (20-1) and the marker moved if necessary.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Can the same procedure be used if you have two balls in the bunker that are close enough that you know that the one closest to the pin may be moved by the other shot? Or do you just replace it if it does move?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    ... and can the player whose ball may be moved by the swing at the other ball volontarily mark his, or must he be asked to mark his? (I think he has to be asked to mark it, but again, not sure) and thanks for the reply BC.
    Andrew

The lie of the ball in the bunker closest to the hole must be re-created if it is altered by the stance or swing of the one farthest away.[20-3b(iii)]

If a player lifts a ball without being specifically asked to do so, he is penalized one stroke for a breach of 18-2a.(Ball at Rest Moved) This prevents a player from cleaning his ball, or perhaps being able to move the wad of mud sticking to the ball, to another, more advantageous position.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    The lie of the ball in the bunker closest to the hole must be re-created if it is altered by the stance or swing of the one farthest away.[20-3b(iii)]

If a player lifts a ball without being specifically asked to do so, he is penalized one stroke for a breach of 18-2a.(Ball at Rest Moved) This prevents a player from cleaning his ball, or perhaps being able to move the wad of mud sticking to the ball, to another, more advantageous position.
    Sorry can you clarify this portion of your response? If he is asked to mark the ball, is he allowed to clean it? or are you saying if he's not asked to mark it, that is what is preventing him from cleaning his ball? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Sorry can you clarify this portion of your response? If he is asked to mark the ball, is he allowed to clean it? or are you saying if he's not asked to mark it, that is what is preventing him from cleaning his ball? Hope that makes sense.
    If the player is asked to mark his ball because it interferes with an other player's stroke or stance, he is not allowed to clean the ball.(Unless on the putting green, of course.) However, on the outside chance that there is a wad of mud on the ball, the ball can be rotated so that the mud will not contact the club face when hit, but the ball cannot be replaced with the mud on the ground, as it would be acting as a "tee." After marking and lifting, the player should hold the ball between his thumb and forefinger so as to give no perception that the ball is being cleaned. Putting it in your pocket is a no no.

So if a player feels his ball may interfere with another's play, (he really just wants to sneakily clean it or rotate it because it's got mud/grass on it) he cannot lift it without penalty, unless specifically asked to do so by his OPP or FC.

Thanks for clarifying.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Incidentally, it isn't necessarily the nearest ball that has to be lifted. Either may be lifted if it is more convenient.

Thread Information