100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road

Question Newbie Question: Changing Loft

Good morning,

I have a question that should be right up the alley of many experts out there. I have a hybrid club / driving iron, the Mizuno Fli-Hi II in an 18 degree loft. This club plays like a 4 or a strong 5 wood. I would like the club to play at 15 or 16 degrees of loft, or a normal 3 wood.

Is it possible to bend this club such that its loft becomes 15 or 16 degrees without materially weakening the club?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

amac

Putter DavidLake is on a distinguished road

Create a "digger sole"

Amac,

This club can be bent for the loft angle you desire; however, by adjusting the loft angle of the Mizuno Hi-Fli by -2º or-3º you will also be eliminating the built in bounce angle of the clubhead thus creating a "digger sole". The result would be a very unforgiving club when used from the fairway.
    [font=Arial]David Lake[/font]
    [font=Arial][url="http://www.1irongolf.com/"]www.1irongolf.com[/url][/font]

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Hi David. Welcome to our forum.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I have a slightly different question. I have a 22* Cobra Baffler hybrid. It is essentially a replacement for my 3 iron. Right now instead of a 3 iron I use a strong 7 wood that I like.

Here's the question, can I cut down the hybrid by half an inch, bend the lie upright 2* and add a few degrees of loft? I am looking fo a candidate to replace my 4 iron. I'm pretty sure I could cut the club down and bend the lie but that would only get me to something between a 4 and 3 iron. If I also had loft added, would I have problems hitting it form the fairway because it would have much more bounce?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    http://www.cobragolf.com/corporate/p...ease.asp?id=15

Depending on the material it could be risky business to bend either way. As a general rule when trimming 1/2 inch there is no need to adjust the lie by 2*. Instead of having a digger sole you would end up with a scoop sole and unless you are hitting down on the ball all the time you would end up skullling the shot more times than not. Before going through all that I would try gripping down on the club. If you go ahead and do so then you don't have a replacement for your 3 iron anymore. Unless you are looking for additional loft then gripping down would be your best solution imo. Besides they just came out with a 26*model.

Putter MMasikJr is on a distinguished road
    I have bent bafflers before and they are very hard to bend. The other thing to consider when taking length off the club is swingweight. I say rather than the cheap fix, which the results will be marginal, go to the store and pick something up that was made for what you are looking for.

Cheers,
    Mike

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    Given the fact that I really like my Mizuno Fli-Hi, I think that I will keep it intact as an 18 degree club. I may seek out a hybrid that is in the 15 degree range. Most golf manufacturers have an offering in this golf club segment, so I should have plenty of choices.

Thanks for the feedback.

amac

Thread Information