+ Reply to Thread
    Im a fixture here mathc38 is on a distinguished road mathc38's Avatar

I keep drawing my irons more than I want..I just want to hit a straight ball!

Hi there,

I'm a lefty with a handicap around 8. Weakness of my game is iron play...anything from 4-7 iron is inconsistent. Majority of the time i fight a draw, slight hook....I play 4-5 irons a ball forward of centre, 6 and 7 irons half ball forward of centre. My grip is neutral and I start off at address with the iron clubface square. I do have a flatter swingplane than most so I don't know if this can be the cause as I've been told that in my swing I rotate hard right and that's what causes my clubhead to directional go right causing the draw/pulll....any help or tips or diagnoses would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mathc38 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm a lefty with a handicap around 8. Weakness of my game is iron play...anything from 4-7 iron is inconsistent. Majority of the time i fight a draw, slight hook....I play 4-5 irons a ball forward of centre, 6 and 7 irons half ball forward of centre. My grip is neutral and I start off at address with the iron clubface square. I do have a flatter swingplane than most so I don't know if this can be the cause as I've been told that in my swing I rotate hard right and that's what causes my clubhead to directional go right causing the draw/pulll....any help or tips or diagnoses would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
    1st thing to do is get some sticks and make sure your alignment is on. I have a particular problem with alignment. Over time I get more and more closed leading to more pulls and hooks (by necessity to get the ball back to target.) Check that first. Many evils are caused by not aiming where you think you are and subconciously compensating.

Pitching Wedge NickyBoy is on a distinguished road

Uncanny

It's amazing at how this sounds exactly like what i've been going through lately. I am also a lefty and also an 8 handicap lol. I have spent a lot of time working on my short game this year and my mid-long irons have suffered. I have always had a draw (which I've learned to appreciate) but more recently my irons have turned into a slice. I took a few days off to try and forget some of the bad habits and hit the range. I set my grip further into my fingers (as if you held the club with your middle finger and wouldnt drop it) to allow the club face to come through at the same position as when you address it. I have also moved my stance a bit closer to the ball. I have definately straightened out my ball flight by doing this. Take it with a grain of salt and hope it helps!

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Try weakening your grip. And if you have a flat swing plane, get a lie board and check that you are not getting the toe of your club pointing up at contact.

It is funny you mention that because I know for a fact that I set up a bit close. I don't know if this subconsciously causes me to pull/draw/hook the ball?

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Since you are a better player im assuming that you make ball first contact. In order to hit the ball straight you need to have the club face square at impact, hit it in the center of the face and have a net club path of zero( or straight at the target). When you hit down on the ball it will affect you net club path and swing it out to the left. If the club face is square to the target you will hook the ball. The problem that most golfers have is when the see the ball going to the right they swing farther to the left. This only makes the ball hook even more.
    Try this. Set up with the club face at the target and a normal stance. Keeping the club face square, open you feet hips and shoulders so they poiint right of the target. Make a swing along your foot line that would feel like you are going to hit the ball right of the target. If you have an average PGA tour angle of attack you need to aim about 4.2 yards per 100 yards.
    If you do this properly you will have your net path straight at your target and the clubface straight at the target and you will hit the ball perfectly straight. Check out this video and it will help you understand the concept better as you can actually see whats going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sIQ-7DJJbU.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have had the same problem and am a lefty. There can be several reasons for it, all I can share is my own experience. I was setting up and felt parallel to the target line but in fact my shoulders were closed to it. My teacher made me bump my right hip backwards as part of my set-up routine and it cleared away the strong draw.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    See a pro and get fit for your irons.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mathc38 View Post
    It is funny you mention that because I know for a fact that I set up a bit close. I don't know if this subconsciously causes me to pull/draw/hook the ball?
    In my case it definately does. If your whole body is closed (just your feet can lie sometimes), then it takes a bit of 'over the top' to start the club on line, or a big hook starting way out left. (I'm also a lefty - hmm, maybe this is a genetic problem). I say check alignment first. If it is right on then move on to another solution. I just think golf is hard enough when you are correctly aimed!! If you setup is good then its one less thing to compensate for.

2 Iron smiths_falls is on a distinguished road
    I had the same problem and i got fitted for a set of mizuno jpx 800 pros...i had to get the lie angle bent down 2 degrees, this has made my shots deadly straight...i would recommend that. you may be square at address but impacting with the heel first...this creates side spin.

Thanks for all your replies guys!

I did get my irons adjusted for lie angle 1* flat already so I don't want to tinker with that further unless I know for a fact it's not my swing..I think I solved it this week at the range...I believe I was getting way to 'handsy' thinking I needed to help square the face that way when in fact it was shutting it down....so I just focused on rotating and not stopping and allowing my arms and hands to flip over...We'll see if I can transfer this to the course now!

Thread Information