100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Interesting Match in Matchplay from Golfwrx.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...7#entry3278457

Interesting Match in Matchplay from Golfwrx.
    Golf is a funny game sometimes.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I think it's wrong to give more than 1 stroke on a hole. Very very wrong.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Agreed. That match was hopeless from the start.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    The worst part is if even if you shoot your own handicap, there's a good chance you aren't going to win.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    For the high cappers, I think its the change in expectations that generally allows them to play better in these handicap matches. Usually a high capper makes the big number when playing the hole in the hopes of a par. Playing a par 4 like a par 5 or 6 (especially when a 5 will win the hole), keeps them from trying a shot outside of their skill level to get on in regulation, and thus keeps them from blowing up on a hole. Generally if they managed their game this way on a regular basis, they would be lower handicaps.

my $0.02

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    the worst part about it is, high cappers tend to play a lot better when they are grouped with better golfers (at least in my experiences) so on top of having all there strokes they usually play there best rounds.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Definitely think that there should be no more than 1 stroke given per hole. Although his example of the par 5 seems pretty fair, he had a chance at birdie, and his opponent had a chance at bogey, the way it should be.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you are ever in a match where you have to give up a lot of strokes play from the longest tees possible. Most high handicappers have a problem with that and the lower handicap person won't be at a disadvantage.

As to giving up more than one stroke a hole, I don't have a problem with it. If I can't beat a 42 handicapper giving two strokes per hole then there is something seriously wrong with my game that day.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Well, having been that high handicapper a little while back and having played a match where I got 2 strokes on some holes, I can say that it is definitely unfair. I felt sorry for my opponent, who didn't play his best, but should still have had a chance in the match if not for the truckload of strokes I was getting.

On one hand, a low capper is more likely to shoot close to his handicap. On the other, a high capper is more likely to shoot significantly lower than his handicap. Moreover, ESC max for a high capper is 3-over, which can run up the score very quickly on just a few bad holes and thus raising the cap. In a matchplay situation that's still only one hole lost, so if you go tripple, par, par, tripple you're pretty much guaranteed to be at least even, yet your handicap would stay high. I also agree that you tend to play better when playing with good players. If nothing else, just the steady rhythm of the game rubs off on you.

All in all, I'd say a stoke per hole max would be a reasonable restriction for matchplay.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If it were a stroke max, the high handicappers would almost never win a match. Ever.

Low handicap guys, stop your whining and play better!
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If it were a stroke max, the high handicappers would almost never win a match. Ever.

Low handicap guys, stop your whining and play better!

No doubt... we play a great match play tournament every year (5 - 9 hole match) over 2 days. Best tournament of the year... and the high handicapper who sometime get 2 strokes per hole have never won. At the end the winners are usually some of the best/lowest handicap team. Put pressure on a high handicap player and they will fold... putting becomes awful....

Like JVincent said...stop your whining....
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thread Information