100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Recommendations for a beginner (female)

My girlfriend is looking to take up golf, and I'm looking to get her some clubs to start out with. I play a set of blades, which are definitely not what she should be using to learn. I was thinking I should get something rather forgiving with an appropriate flex, and correct length (she's about 5 ft 7). I thought maybe a partial set (5-7-9 iron, Wedge, Driver, and a couple of hybrids or FW woods) would be a good idea while she tries it out.

Anyone tried to make such a set before? Or have any recommendations for some decent ladies clubs? I can't spend too much, but I want to make sure she at least has clubs that she can potentially enjoy the game with. I don't want her to quit because the clubs are not right (too long, too short, too stiff, to difficult to hit).

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My wife is the same height and I built her a half set (5-7-9-SW) out of one of my old sets. I used a ladies flex shaft and grip and built it to standard ladies length (based on the Golfsmith ruler). I'd have to check exactly what lengths those are.

If she is like most beginner ladies she probably won't generate enough clubhead speed initially to generate spin on the ball to get it in the air so a high lofted driver or large 3W is your best bet for the woods. Hybrids for the 3i (if you go that low) and 5i are good ideas.

Now for the words of sage advice. If you end up teaching her, remember that at some point she will get ** off at your teaching and you will be in the doghouse for a period of time.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I bought a Wilson set of clubs at Walmart with bag included for under $300 two years ago when I started to golf regularly. I believe there is a ladies set as well. Perfect for beginners I think.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    My girlsfriend bought a new set of clubs including the bag (She loved the color). I had her set up with Callaways GBB Hawkeye Tungsten Titanium irons in women's flex and she had no trouble hitting these at all. Callaway makes the easiest to hit and most forgiving irons. I played the same in a men's for years.

if you want I can ask her if she would consider selling them. She also had the Callaway Steelhead III 3 and 5 wood.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thanks Lefty, I had thought Callaways would be a good option, but I'm concerned they might be a little too pricey for my current budget.

One thing which is clear is there is a limited number of ladies clubs available on this site. How bad would it be to get a set of nice forgiving irons with standard mens shafts in a steel regular flex, and just have her choke down on them an inch or two? I feel like that would greatly increase the number of clubs there are to choose from. Thoughts?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I would not do that myself. What is your budget or should I say her budget?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Frankly, since we're still not sure how well she'll take to the game, I think we'd like to keep it under 100 (partly why i was thinking a partial set would be good). But, I guess there's something to be said for spending a bit more and having something that can be re-sold for a decent amount.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I agree with Luc, just choking down on a men's set will likely not work.

My wife was able to use the half set with ladies shafts at the correct length much better than a men's set choked down.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information