100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar

I tend to push the ball.

When I miss with my irons it tends to be a push. Straight but not in the direction I was aiming. eg 150 yards to the green, I find my line, maybe a divot a bit closer for easier aiming, and the ball would go straight but 25 yards to the left of target. I am a lefty. It has to have something to do with alignment. Anyone know some simple drills to do on the range to cure this? HELP!
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I'm a lefty too. But I bet your dominant arm is your right. After my first lesson, i was told this happens because I was not releasing the club.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

your right, My strong arm is my right but swing left, a little messed up. That makes sense about not releasing the club, sometimes I try and think too much instead of just letting my natural swing take over. On the range when I am loose and not under any real pressure I dont have this problem. In a game situation it tends to happen more.
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

I wish I would've seen Marc sooner. I changed my grip this year as everyone told me ...but was seeing the same results. After learning how I should be releasing the club...it made a world of difference. Better ball flight also. I start the ball left of my target and it slightly draws back to the target. I still have difficulty with alignment but that will come in other lessons. At least when I push it left or slice at the range ...i know it's because I didn't release the club.

Also, I've only had one lesson so I'm no expert. I've only started working at releasing the club since Tuesday. Played on Thursday and saw a big difference. If you would've played with me this year, I couldn't get the ball off the tee or in the air. Prayed that it went where I was aiming. . Just found the distances were shorter with the clubs but that also could be ball placement since I play it a little forward.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    If your alignment is OK then I believe a push is the result of an in-to-out swing path with the club face square relative to the path of the club. So, yeah, makes sense, release the club more through the hitting area so it is closed relative to the swing path (for those nice draws) or work on coming less from the inside.

I just took a lesson with Joel Michaud out at Canadian. Basicly my swing plain is too steep he has me flattening out my backswing which keeps my wrist from cupping at the top of my swing and naturally compresses the ball and lags the club. All that in one hour. Seemed to work, it will take some time on the range to make it more natural but my ball flight is lower because I am not flipping the club head at the ball with this lower plain swing. All in all I am happy. I recommend Joel if anyone is looking to take a lesson.

Pitching Wedge sandbagger is on a distinguished road
    One easy way to eliminate a push is, at address, tuck your left arm in close to your body and move your right arm further away from your body. this stops you from going inside to outside and promotes a straighter ball flight. It will feel awkward for a while but it should work if you stick with it

I have been going to the range almost daily working on what Joel showed me. I think he nailed it. I can still miss but I would say overall I am striking the ball with a lot more consistancy. If anything now when I miss I hit it a bit thin but I think that is more me bringing my head up too soon in the middle of hitting a large bucket of balls. I am really happy with the driver now. I could hit the ball about 250-260 but always worried about the slice. Now its straight and long. I can still miss but overall more consistant for sure. I am a 18 handicapper and I think with the time I am putting into the range, practice greens and some good lessons this number should lower this year. At least it better for the money I am spending.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Right on, man. I can't stress enough how important golf lessons are, especially for beginners. So much frustration, you get a drill from an instructor who sees your errors right away and you improve drastically.
    Have a lesson tomorrow with Gregg at Haimes, can't wait

I use to think that going to the range would improve my game but your right untill you have someone point out your swing errors and shows you how to correct them you just practising your crappy swing. I could get around a course before and hit some nice shots but consistancy was lacking and i knew I would never get any better untill I had a few good lessons. I am driving the wife nuts with all this golf stuff but I looked her dead in the eye and said " honey I have to do this".

Glad to see i'm not alone in this quest!! Will have to use that line on my wife!!

Thread Information