CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road

What Are The Odds ?

Read this story I found on another forum, I can't imagine what the odds would be:

An associate of mine has an interesting "lost ball" story.
    One Saturday he was playing at a local course and lost his ball. He puts a distinguishing mark on the ball, his first name in red. Well he lost one of his "jim" balls, but that was not an alltogether notible event.
    Then two weeks later, he was supposed to play at a different course that they hadn't played in a few years, 30 miles away. When he got to the course, his playing partner told him that the third in their group couldn't make it. So the Starter paired them up with a twosome, two golfers they were just meeting for the first time.
    Golf went well, it was a great course. About the 16th hole, one of the new golfers hit a shot that needed to be marked on the green. Jim went over to be helpful, to mark it.Jim looked down at the ball and it had his distinctive "Jim" marking on it. Very confused, since he already had his playing ball in hand, he said "Hey, that's my ball!"
    Turns out that this golfer had played the same course Jim had, and had found Jim's ball. What are the odds?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    15,304,783 to 1. cool story!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Read this story I found on another forum, I can't imagine what the odds would be:

An associate of mine has an interesting "lost ball" story.
    One Saturday he was playing at a local course and lost his ball. He puts a distinguishing mark on the ball, his first name in red. Well he lost one of his "jim" balls, but that was not an alltogether notible event.
    Then two weeks later, he was supposed to play at a different course that they hadn't played in a few years, 30 miles away. When he got to the course, his playing partner told him that the third in their group couldn't make it. So the Starter paired them up with a twosome, two golfers they were just meeting for the first time.
    Golf went well, it was a great course. About the 16th hole, one of the new golfers hit a shot that needed to be marked on the green. Jim went over to be helpful, to mark it.Jim looked down at the ball and it had his distinctive "Jim" marking on it. Very confused, since he already had his playing ball in hand, he said "Hey, that's my ball!"
    Turns out that this golfer had played the same course Jim had, and had found Jim's ball. What are the odds?
    Similar occurrance but not quite as unsual. Playing in Hawaii as a single the day I arrived. Lost a ball on the first hole. 3 holes later I was delayed by a group and another single caught up to me. 2 holes later we both hit our drives in a similar area, on a similar line, i.e. into the rough between fairways. I found my ball - uniquely marked - about 30 yards short of where I thought it should be. The other fellow starts looking for his ball as well and can't find it so he asks to check this one I found. He says yeah that's the ball he hit. But it has my mark on it, so I ask "are you sure?". "Yup, I found it on the first hole". I found mine 30 yards farther up in the rough.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Similar occurrance but not quite as unsual. Playing in Hawaii as a single the day I arrived. Lost a ball on the first hole. 3 holes later I was delayed by a group and another single caught up to me. 2 holes later we both hit our drives in a similar area, on a similar line, i.e. into the rough between fairways. I found my ball - uniquely marked - about 30 yards short of where I thought it should be. The other fellow starts looking for his ball as well and can't find it so he asks to check this one I found. He says yeah that's the ball he hit. But it has my mark on it, so I ask "are you sure?". "Yup, I found it on the first hole". I found mine 30 yards farther up in the rough.

I think UpandDown would say 1,056,064 to 1 on this one
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Where is Spock when you nerd him?

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar

lost ball

did he at least return the ball?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    :errrr The odds can sometimes be very embarassing. One particular golfer dropped off a golf shirt at the Salvation Army. He had his name embrodered on one sleeve. Couple months down the road he ends up in a foursome where one of his playing partners is wearing his old shirt with his name on it.

Thread Information