100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron infinity13 is on a distinguished road infinity13's Avatar

Switch tee boxes during round

I was trying to find an answer to this online but couldn't. Can one switch tee boxes during a round?

Yesterday at Metcalfe on the second hole my driver made a weird sound when hitting the ball, noticed that the shaft had a wicked crack in it. I was playing the back tees, and wondered if I could switch to the white tees as now my longest club off the tee was a 3 wood. I continued playing the back tees it was fun, but challenging especially on lengthy par 4's.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    I can't see there being a rule that would allow you to switch tee boxes for any reason. I would think you'd just have to do as you did and tough it out with the clubs you have left in the bag.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    If you are playing in a tournament (competition) the position of the tee markers may not be changed and you cannot switch to different teeing areas. That would be changing the stipulated course.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    But even if you're not playing in a tournament, how would the player be able to enter his adjusted score for handicap purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    If you are playing in a tournament (competition) the position of the tee markers may not be changed and you cannot switch to different teeing areas. That would be changing the stipulated course.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I suppose if you switch at the turn you can enter the two nines as separate 9-hole rounds?

True, but that is not what we are dealing with here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    I suppose if you switch at the turn you can enter the two nines as separate 9-hole rounds?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    It could be...he asked "Can one switch tee boxes during a round?" I see how through his explanation that he was looking to switch on the 3rd hole, however, he could tough it out until the end of the front nine and switch on the back. Still relevant IMO.

I agree with you as well to the extent that the course has 9 hole ratings. The issue that was of interest to me though was whether you can enter a score for handicap purposes if you switch tees throughout the round. My guess is that you can't because courses are not rated that way.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    It could be...he asked "Can one switch tee boxes during a round?" I see how through his explanation that he was looking to switch on the 3rd hole, however, he could tough it out until the end of the front nine and switch on the back. Still relevant IMO.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    But even if you're not playing in a tournament, how would the player be able to enter his adjusted score for handicap purposes?
    If he was not playing in Canada or the USA it wouldn't matter. Handicaps are not affected by non competition rounds.

Thread Information