CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ball placement

6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar

Ball placement

This going to be a dumb question but I will ask it hoping to get an answer and continue in my fog of the golf swing. Low irons PW-7. If you want to compress the ball and potentially spin it backwards obviously you need club head speed but do the pros position the ball in the centre of their stance or back in their stance?
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Depends on the shot they are trying to hit.

For a higher trajectory it generally be closer to the front of their stance while for a lower trajectory it will be closer to the back. And by closer to the front I mean around the middle.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I have been working on trying to hit down on the ball and pinch it. This is easier when the ball is lined up with inside of my back foot. I take a nice divot and you can tell your making better contact and usually results in more distance. I use to always position the ball in middle of my stance and it results in a descent shot but I am not compressing the ball because my divot usually starts a bit behind the ball not in front of it. Am i over analyzing this or am I on to something? It really does feel better and the ball jumps off the club. Its nice to see the turf fly too and its not because you hit it fat.
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    If you hit down on a ball it will have backspin. As a matter of fact even your driver which is taken at the bottom or slightly on the upswing will have backspin.

It just seems easier with the ball back in my stance a bit. Ideally if you get your hands forward enough you will lag the club and hit downward on the ball, i have been trying that with the ball in the middle of my stance and have had trouble with hitting it well consistantly.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I used to play the high irons farther back than I do now. You likely land softer and get more spin with a more forward position. Although, how Jack could play everything a ball off his left foot is beyond me, I think everyones swing and build is different.

Back to the topic, the ball goes a touch farther because the club is slightly delofted farther back. I assume the steeper angle of attack might impart more spin for the same clubhead speed, but I'm not sure. The ball doesn't get squished into the ground or really trapped or anything. I am happier taking a shallower divot and hitting the ball a bit higher than I used to.

I still play the ball pretty far back compared to most I think. I've tried to move it farther up with poor results. Either it's not "right" up there for me, or it's just a matter of baby steps.

Bottom line, IMO, you should be able to spin the ball without hitting the wedges off your back foot.

This past spring I set on a mission to improve and since then I must of hit thousands of balls on the range and been able to play maybe a dozen rounds. Mission conclusion: Hitting down on the ball and compressing it is the only way to strike a golf ball properly. I have added 30 - 40 yards on all my irons. That sounds like alot but I was flipping at the ball for years and finally had some real advice and rolled with it. On low irons around the green I will put the ball back a bit in my stance and really spin it but with a 9,8,7 it potentially can come in too steep and I end up digging a hole on the coarse. In the end, everyone is individual and certain things work differently for them. I have struggled with a slice for years and have just tamed it a month ago. I found putting the ball in the middle of my stance for my driver rather then the inside of the front foot makes me hit my driver more consistantly. Any pro would say put the ball inside the front foot for your driver, for some reason that does not work for me.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I'm still working on my driver setup, but right now I get best results teed up well inside my leading foot as well, but not really near the middle.

2 Iron smiths_falls is on a distinguished road
    Im learning that if i tee the ball lower on my drives, i get a straighter and more consistent shot

I have never T'd up the golf ball all that high. But I guess the only way that would work is if you set the ball ahead in your stance and catch it on the up swing like I guess we are suppose too. Dosnt work for me, never did. Not saying it cant.

Thread Information