100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road

Tempo/Rhythm tips & drills

Hey guys,

I figured I would post a topic here and see what people had to say with regards to tempo/rhythm drills & tips. I've been playing pretty consistently so far this year but want to spend some time at the range trying to hammer out any tendencies to want to rush the swing at any point. I find when i do this is when I end up duffing my shot and its beyond frustrating.

I'm looking to work on developing that 'effortless' looking 1, 2 swing (think of Els, or Luke Donald) and I'm sure some people have some good drills and tips to help hammer home that comfortable tempo.

All ideas appreciated!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I usually take a practice swing and think of Fred Couples. It seems to relax me when I get over the ball. Another thing that works for me is looking at my son and my wife swing,Both have very fluid like loose swings and it just puts me in a good frame of mind.Counting in your back swing also helps to loosen me up. One,two three and wack !!!!

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    I know someone talked about timing your swing with your breathing. In that your inhale dictates a good fluid backswing and the pause between swings is perfectly matched with your exhale. Something I might try out on the range.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I posted this in reply elsewhere in response to a specifc swing issue. But I think it applies here as well...

I can only share what one professional had me do which really worked for me. His point of view was that we all have a slightly different tempo to our swings. My tendency was to get out of tempo with my woods. So first he had my hit my favorite iron - my 7. Then he took out a metronome and set the timing of it to match my tempo. (the count was two beats for the backswing and one for the downswing) Then he had me hit my driver. The tempo of my swing was way off the tempo of my irons it was glaring. So I strated trying to match my swing to the metronome and for me at least it works. I have the tempo pretty much in my head now so when I take my practice swing I focus on that tempo. One last bit you can download a metronome to your IPOD - sometimes early in the year I practice at the range with earbuds in and focus are re-establishing that tempo.

Thread Information