CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road

Throwing myself to the wolves - Swing feedback

This was a few weeks ago, so there are a few awful shots in there (but isn't that the idea?)

Let's try to focus on fundamentals... I know I topped a few shots and sliced a couple others, but what do you see me doing wrong fundamentally time and time again?

I appreciate the constructive feedback. Rip me apart, that's what this is for!

Down the line - Range in April
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbxSNN_7JEg

October 2010 @ Artisan Golf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnx8Ew2kSEk
    Last edited by Husband; 05-17-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You definitely set up like me, very closed which will help you hit a hook or a draw depending on if you can control it. You could start by working on your adress posture and position of your feet/shoulders. And definitely slow down, its not a race!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You definitely set up like me, very closed which will help you hit a hook or a draw depending on if you can control it. You could start by working on your adress posture and position of your feet/shoulders. And definitely slow down, its not a race!!
    Great stuff John. Thank you! When I'm on my game, my typical miss is left. The closed stance is something I should look at and have never thought of.

8 Iron Kyle_B is on a distinguished road Kyle_B's Avatar
    Looks good Eric. We'll have to hit up The 19th Tee and mess up on shots together. I think I have you beat on the topping of shots though.

Might sound weird but it looks like you have lungs full of air when you swing (most of them). I found that when I inhale before swinging, I wasn't even close to as flexible and didn't get a decent shot. If there is no air in your lungs when you start your swing, you might be able to have more upper body movement. I don't know though, I'm just saying what has helped me. Could be different for everyone.

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    I'd be interested in hearing what works for you! Please post more videos as your progress!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Since the camera is on the target line and not o your foot line, your stance may not be as closed as some think. Perspective makes your front foot look closer than it actually is. More importantly, it appears that your hips and torso are aligned parallel to your target lie so even if the stance is closed, it won't affect ball flight. IMO, the proper alignment of your shoulders at address greatly outweighs the alignment of your toes.

While your right elbow is "flying," that is, too far away from your body at the top of your back swing, you do start the downswing by moving your hands back toward the camera first and than down and out. This is a superb move and one "secret' towards superior ball striking.

I cannot tell what you do through the ball as it happens very fast, it does appear that there is excessive rotation, which may explain the leftward shots. I like the left wrist to be flat and the right wrist bent backwards for as long as possible.

If you are hooking the ball at all, I would suggest opening the club face a little at address because a properly executed DRAW ball flight has a slightly open face at impact and an inside club head path to the ball, a path that you appear to have. Overall, an excellent golf swing..

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    it looks like at address(hard to tell) you should tilt your spine more behind the ball, looks like ur slightly ahead of the ball at impact (again hard to tell) . Cheat and preload 60% of your weight on the inside of your right foot, keep that right knee flexed and firm resist and keep it from sliding over so quickly, looks like your legs are out racing your arms, good tip toes up (almost feel like your heels are slightly off the ground) and push your knees outwards you will feel balance like you've never felt, you'll have the weight on the balls of your feet like they say your supposed to. google nick faldo videos their short n sweet he emphasises your connection with the ground and how to use the lower body properly.

Pitching Wedge sandbagger is on a distinguished road
    I had a quick look at the video and noticed only a few things. I agree with BC mist that you are over rotating just a little bit. make sure that when you are finished your follow through, your right knee, your chest, and your nose should all be pointed directly at your target. It also seems that on your bad shots you are deccelerating through impact, especially on your last iron shot. if you keep a good tempo and swing through the ball, that should help you with consistency.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I played with Husband on the weekend, although it was in the rain. Here are my comments from what I saw:
    - Foundation is solid and swing looks very nice
    - My only comment on setup is the hands are slightly behind the ball at address - I tend to like to start with them slightly ahead. But that is more a personal preference IMO.
    - Flying elbow is probably related to a slight overswing on the back swing, i.e., club is getting past parallel which is too much unless the shoulders get well past 90*.
    - Very nice downward strike on the ball which had me envious (my swing is brutal right now).
    - I never saw a hook - your miss that day was typically a straight push. Not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things. Hook may come on days where the hands overpower a push swing path or when you hang back a bit?
    - Like everyone else - tempo, tempo, tempo. You hit a lot of nice shots when the swing was smooth.

IMO at this point don't get too caught up in the mechanics - they look relatively sound. Do spot checks to make sure your setup does not wander, but otherwise focus on swinging the club smoothly. When you did this you hit nice shots.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Since the camera is on the target line and not o your foot line, your stance may not be as closed as some think. Perspective makes your front foot look closer than it actually is. More importantly, it appears that your hips and torso are aligned parallel to your target lie so even if the stance is closed, it won't affect ball flight. IMO, the proper alignment of your shoulders at address greatly outweighs the alignment of your toes.

While your right elbow is "flying," that is, too far away from your body at the top of your back swing, you do start the downswing by moving your hands back toward the camera first and than down and out. This is a superb move and one "secret' towards superior ball striking.

I cannot tell what you do through the ball as it happens very fast, it does appear that there is excessive rotation, which may explain the leftward shots. I like the left wrist to be flat and the right wrist bent backwards for as long as possible.

If you are hooking the ball at all, I would suggest opening the club face a little at address because a properly executed DRAW ball flight has a slightly open face at impact and an inside club head path to the ball, a path that you appear to have. Overall, an excellent golf swing..
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Lots of great and encouraging feedback... Thanks guys! It sure does appear that Im overdoing the back swing a bit. Ill try and tweak that while slowing things down and post another video in a few weeks.

Kyle, I'm down for the driving range anyday! I go often on lunch if youre in the area...

Barry we should hit up another round when the weather gets nicer!

Slowing down the takeaway and a more smooth transition has been really doing wonders for me. Shot a 39 through 9 yesterday and was playing the best golf of my life. Thanks for the help guys check back in a month or so I'll post another video.

Thread Information