100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Westwood, McIlroy draw criticism

Decisions by world number one Lee Westwood and fellow Briton Rory McIlroy to skip this week's Players Championship at the TPC Sawgrass have drawn stinging criticism from American sports commentators.

More...

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    As they should. Ya ya, free will, their choice, blah blah blah. Fact is this is the PGA's crown jewel and to not support the organization that has provided them with the millions and millions of dollars they have is ridonk. All because of Chubby Chandler or whatever his name is. No one should skip The Players unless you're hurt.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I think the point system is broken, how can the world number 1 not be part of the best tour in the world? It would be like saying the best hockey player in the world is playing in the swedish elite league. That would never happen! I wont go as far as saying that it's easy to win on the european tour and asian tour. But I am sure it's a little easier to be successful there when all the great player's of the game are on the PGA tour!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I think it is great that a player decides to play whatever tournament he wants to play. He is trying to make a living and win tournaments. If you don't like a course, why play it? If you have other tournaments scheduled, then go play them.
    The Americans just can't handle the fact that someone doesn't think they are the most important people in the world!
    And the PGA does not provide these guys with all their millions of $$$. They earn a LOT of money on European Tour as well, so maybe they feel some loyalty to that tour... Or maybe they just like being in Europe... Maybe they actually don't like playing in the US at all... Who knows, and who cares what the reason is, because they have the right to pick their own schedule.
    If we are going to pick on players for skipping tourneys, then let's talk about Tiger picking his spots all career long...

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    If we are going to pick on players for skipping tourneys, then let's talk about Tiger picking his spots all career long...
    Would you be satisfied if Tiger played every week? Don't turn this into another Tiger bashing thread.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    They are not members of the PGA tour. Westwood especially has made his name and money as a member of the European Tour. He is showing loyalty to the tour that made him, his own tour and the tour he belongs to.

Don't forget the Majors are not PGA tour events...they are co-sanctioned PGA and European Tour Events. And Sebber mate, I tuly believe that at this moment in time there is a real argument to suggest the PGA tour is NOT the best tour in the world but the European Tour is.

I think it is a shame for me the viewer that they are not playing but I fully understand why they are not.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    Would you be satisfied if Tiger played every week? Don't turn this into another Tiger bashing thread.
    I am not "Tiger bashing" and I could care less if Tiger played every week. There are a lot of golfers that I find much more entertaining than Tiger.

I was simply saying that if we are going to criticize some players for skipping tournaments, we should examine all players.

And if Rory doesn't like the course, that's his call.

I think it is great that some players stay loyal to the tours where they got their start.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    They are not members of the PGA tour. Westwood especially has made his name and money as a member of the European Tour. He is showing loyalty to the tour that made him, his own tour and the tour he belongs to.

Don't forget the Majors are not PGA tour events...they are co-sanctioned PGA and European Tour Events. And Sebber mate, I tuly believe that at this moment in time there is a real argument to suggest the PGA tour is NOT the best tour in the world but the European Tour is.

I think it is a shame for me the viewer that they are not playing but I fully understand why they are not.
    My thoughts exactly , the PGA has some great events but the European tour equally so.
    As far as McIlroy saying he dosn't like the course , all power to him .
    And really , who cares what Miller has to say , he's only a hack Commentator .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    My thoughts exactly , the PGA has some great events but the European tour equally so.
    As far as McIlroy saying he dosn't like the course , all power to him .
    +1
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I tuly believe that at this moment in time there is a real argument to suggest the PGA tour is NOT the best tour in the world but the European Tour is.
    The European Tour may occupy a greater percentage of top ten players in the world, but from 11-100 the PGA tour has a far greater number of players. Their best might be better, but the PGA tour is way deeper.

Hack commentator? What specifically would make you say that?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Miller does his job, very well. It's his job for people to react, and they do. Just like any great announcer, some love him and some hate him. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    This statement says it all to me:

"He'd rather win a World Golf Championship than the Players Championship,..."

This is not a big deal in my opinion. Perhaps the statement hurt some poeples feelings.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Hack commentator? What specifically would make you say that?
    Nothing specific , http://thegreensidebunker.wordpress....llerknowsbest/

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I used to like Miller (10 years ago) when he had some tiny speck of humility. Now though I think he is way too full of himself. He hasn't played competive golf in years, but still it's all about him when he opens his mouth.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I used to like Miller (10 years ago) when he had some tiny speck of humility. Now though I think he is way too full of himself. He hasn't played competive golf in years, but still it's all about him when he opens his mouth.
    Some guys just can't let go. He's like the Brett Favre of the golf world. He should take some lessons in humility from Ian Baker Finch.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Miller is a Hall of Fame golfer and in my opinion a Hall of Fame broadcaster. He's been there and done that and I enjoy his perspective.

Using the internet, I'm sure I could come up with worse examples of broadcast journalism for any commentator.

Using the internet, I'm sure I could come up with worse examples of broadcast journalism for any commentator.
    I'm sure you could too , but you asked for Johnny Miller specifically.
    For sure , in his day , he was a great golfer .

Thread Information