CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

OVGA Entries Now Online

To those who play in OVGA tournaments, entry can now be done through BlueGolf, online.

While only a handful of events are currently listed, expect others to be included soon.

www.ovga.org

http://quebec.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/...tawa/index.htm

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Just a reminder that the OVGA tournament registration is now up and working after a few hiccups. You can reach it at the link Lyle posted or right through the OVGA web site (also in the process of being revamped totally) www.ovga.org

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Is it possible to play in certain tournaments only? (Ie: Tunis)...
    Or do I have to sign up for the entire OVGA season?

Thankks

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Is it possible to play in certain tournaments only? (Ie: Tunis)...
    Or do I have to sign up for the entire OVGA season?

Thankks
    You enter only those tournaments in which you want to participate. Once you complete the initial registration form, entering a tournament takes about a minute.

For the Tunis, however, you enter through the Golf Quebec website, but you must have a low enough differential total in order to qualify. Qualifying is done by playing in the designated OVGA tournaments, the Golf Quebec Spring Open qualifiers, or the Tunis qualifier played this year at Hammond GC.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    You enter only those tournaments in which you want to participate. Once you complete the initial registration form, entering a tournament takes about a minute.

For the Tunis, however, you enter through the Golf Quebec website, but you must have a low enough differential total in order to qualify. Qualifying is done by playing in the designated OVGA tournaments, the Golf Quebec Spring Open qualifiers, or the Tunis qualifier played this year at Hammond GC.
    Thanks.

With all these tournaments I wonder what's the difference for an A class player doing well in (or winning) OVGA tournaments (like Tunis) over say the Citizen? Is one tournament more important or brings you more recognition/prize money, than the others? Is the competition harder in one over the others?

Thanks.

With all these tournaments I wonder what's the difference for an A class player doing well in (or winning) OVGA tournaments (like Tunis) over say the Citizen? Is one tournament more important or brings you more recognition/prize money, than the others? Is the competition harder in one over the others?
    Answers to your questions would be very subjective, but IMO:
    The field for the Tunis, Kent and Quebec Amateur tournaments consists of the best golfers from Brockville to the Gaspe and all points in between, while the field for the Citizen has the better Ottawa and area players. While our area has a number of excellent golfers, the three Golf Quebec tournaments have dozens of potential winners.

The Citizen has evolved into a very well organized commercial tournament and played at the better venues. Those who don't play in GQ and OVGA events would probably see it as being more important/prestigious/whatever, while those GQ members may favour the Tunis et al. Having played in the Tunis about 25 times, as well as the Kent and Amateur, my bias should be obvious. For the "big three" one has to actually qualify, with a TWO round differential total somewhere in the 3 to 4 range, (scores in the very low 70's, whereas to qualify for the Citizen, you have to have a factor of 8?? or less, and fill in the entry form.

Both kinds of tournaments are only as significant as the individual wants them to be.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me if the Matchplay is handicapped?

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Matchplay is handicapped?
    The A class Match play event is not handicapped. Try to qualify at Greensmere (this year) and then the top 16 play gross, 18 hole matches until a winner is crowned.

The field for the Tunis, Kent and Quebec Amateur tournaments consists of the best golfers from Brockville to the Gaspe and all points in between, while the field for the Citizen has the better Ottawa and area players. While our area has a number of excellent golfers, the three Golf Quebec tournaments have dozens of potential winners.

The Citizen has evolved into a very well organized commercial tournament and played at the better venues. Those who don't play in GQ and OVGA events would probably see it as being more important/prestigious/whatever, while those GQ members may favour the Tunis et al. Having played in the Tunis about 25 times, as well as the Kent and Amateur, my bias should be obvious. For the "big three" one has to actually qualify, with a TWO round differential total somewhere in the 3 to 4 range, (scores in the very low 70's, whereas to qualify for the Citizen, you have to have a factor of 8?? or less, and fill in the entry form.

Both kinds of tournaments are only as significant as the individual wants them to be.
    Thanks that was awesome info!!!

I registered for the Greensmere match play May 30th. I hope I don't draw Bneil in round 1. Kid's got game.

Nokids, you'll have to make the top 16 first which is a chore.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    And given the usual field for that event and the course being played....better shoot somewhere around +2 or +3 max to make the top 16. Willing to bet there will be a couple par or better rounds if the weather is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    You'll have to make the top 16 first which is a chore.
    Especially if you are a Senior Citizen. As the HRO for this event, how can I bribe you to allow the more life experienced of us to play from the whites?

In fact, to fill the field, why not combine the existing match play for the young guys, with a senior match play running simultaneously? Top 16 young bucks qualify, and top 8 old farts, would make for a more interesting tournament.

I'm guessing that 75 or 76 might get into a playoff. Playing the Gold tees should spread it out a bit.
    Last edited by gbower; 05-09-2011 at 05:12 PM.

So we play stroke play first, and the best scores go on to the match play round of 16?

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    We'll be playing the golds?? That's great!

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar

Tournaments

I agree with BCMist, the tournaments are only as significant as one wants them to be. If you follow the trail of playing well in the OVGA events and establish a low 2 round differential which may qualify you for the Golf Quebec Majors (Alex of Tunis, Duke of Kent and Quebec Amateur). Play well in those and you may snag one of the allocated spots each province is granted for the Canadian Amateur. Following this trail can answer your question of significance. The Tunis, Kent and Quebec Am are events that the top amatuers can earn National Order of Merit points, which could lead to being granted spots in international competition. The Tunis is not an OVGA event, but it is a Golf Quebec provincial event. The Tunis qualifier is a dual sanctioned event for both the OVGA and Golf Quebec.

The Citizen is a great local event, that attracts many of the local top players, but the entry is more open i.e., you don't have to play your way in. Also being spread out over 2 - 3 weeks, is a difference compared to teeing it up for 2 or 3 or 4 days in a row. I like both the Citizen and the Golf Quebec Events, but for very different reasons.
    Last edited by marcf; 05-09-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    So we play stroke play first, and the best scores go on to the match play round of 16?
    Yes, 1 round of stroke play on Monday, Top 16 who are available to play the match play, as some players cannot commit due to work reasons, but want their score to count towards their Golf Quebec ladder ranking, so somtimes as low as number 20 in the stroke play round get in to match play because 4 people pulled out. Round of 16 and Quarter finals are on Tuesday, Semi finals and Finals are on Wednesday. Get to match play, win and keep moving on, lose and go home. Flagstick has tweeted the match play finals hole by hole for the last couple of years and it ha been interesting to follow what is going on during the championship match.

Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    We'll be playing the golds?? That's great!
    Is it? You'll have to put away your .99 COR driver and your Top Flite Super Duper Long golf balls for this tournament. Maybe you should play from the reds??

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Is it? You'll have to put away your .99 COR driver and your Top Flite Super Duper Long golf balls for this tournament. Maybe you should play from the reds??
    Ouch! Especially since I've lost distance from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Nokids, you'll have to make the top 16 first which is a chore.
    Well my tournament cherry has been popped. I hung in there on the front 9 with a 40, but ran out of gas by hole #13 and bogeyed every hole on back to finish with 85. I'm pretty impressed that I didn't have any doubles.

Things to work on... putting. Oh my god my putting has reached an all time low in confidence. I had 37 putts but most of those were in close thanks to some great chips from the rough. I 3-putted 3 times and had a few balls go around the hole without dropping.

It was fun, I look forward to joining more tournaments this year.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    85 is not bad. Getting on the bogey train sucks though.

Avoiding a big number is good. Two years ago I played #8 and #9 in 9-9 in the Citizen. Yes, 10 strokes over par on two holes. That killed me right there. I think I shot a 37 or 38 on the back but it was over by then.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Guys I played with were tense! To lighten the mood, on hole #2 my fc hit the ball to within 1 foot of the cup and I said "That's good from there".

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Guys I played with were tense! To lighten the mood, on hole #2 my fc hit the ball to within 1 foot of the cup and I said "That's good from there".
    It's good to get your feet wet. You haven't been playing for very long and you're always improving which is good. It'll take you a few years probably to get comfortable playing tournament golf.

Gerry or Lyle, do you know where I can find the pairings? I couldn't seem to find them on bluegolf..

Here's the leaderboard: http://quebec.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/...eaderboard.htm

Good round today. Maybe if my opponents don't show up tomorrow, we'll meet in the semis.

http://quebec.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/...eaderboard.htm
    James Paterson
    Jeff Crowe

Tom Hossfeld
    Max Rochette

Jason Wilkes
    Dwayne Mercer

Greg Spencer
    Brian Neil

Jason Allen
    Dany Munger

Adam Kingsbury
    Ben Bell

Justin deVroome
    Kyle Koski

Lyle Alexander
    Brady Acheson
    Last edited by BC MIST; 05-30-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how the retrogression works, is it just normal retrogression counting back from 18 the highest score wins?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Where the heck is Pablo Coles in that list?

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how the retrogression works, is it just normal retrogression counting back from 18 the highest score wins?
    Actually, "normal" retrogression is:
    best last 9
    best last 6
    best last 3
    and finally the 18th, 17th... and I believe that this standard method is how the OVGA breaks ties.

Actually, "normal" retrogression is:
    best last 9
    best last 6
    best last 3
    and finally the 18th, 17th... and I believe that this standard method is how the OVGA breaks ties.
    I was just trying to figure out the seeds. I was wondering when I get a shot at you

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    BC, that has to be the cleanest looking amateur scorecard I have ever seen.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Where the heck is Pablo Coles in that list?
    Ahem, please tell us the story of your first tournament last year.. Didn't you shoot 5 over on #1????

On the bright side: I didn't finish last, no penalty strokes, no doubles, played gold tees and didn't have a driver in my bag!

Thread Information