CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Singlin is on a distinguished road Singlin's Avatar

Front Foot sliding out on downswing

Here is a link to my 6 iron face on video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEKcKVPs7U
    As you can see my front foot spins out on the downswing.
    Any ideas on how to correct this?
    I think that i am also a bit too tight-I can't seem to get a full turn on the backswing.
    HAppy Golf
    Simon

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlin View Post
    Here is a link to my 6 iron face on video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEKcKVPs7U
    As you can see my front foot spins out on the downswing.
    Any ideas on how to correct this?
    I think that i am also a bit too tight-I can't seem to get a full turn on the backswing.
    HAppy GolfSimon
    At the 6 second mark of "Simon Driver" you hands are in the middle of your body, the club head is at impact, but the shaft is bent backwards a huge amount, indicating a significant early release of the leverage angles.

Looking at your lower body position, your weight is on the FRONT of your right foot, instead of on the inside, and your left side is beginning to come up, instead of forward and around. So, rather than a continuous forward and then around movement of your lower body, you stop moving forward about half way down and the early release occurs.

IMO, you need to maintain some flex in your left knee throughout the entire swing. Try an "Impact backwards" drill where you simulate impact position, BEFORE you swing back. Weight on the inside of your right foot, left knee flexed a little forward and about 2/3 of your total weight on your left foot. It may feel restricted going back but you will tend to return to the ideal impact position from which you started.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    My suggestion is to set up your left foot pointing more to the left and do what BCMist said about weight distribution.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Agree with both, I believe your left foot is moving to let your hips clear.......open front foot, should help....Also Bubba Watson and a few others (Phil M) have that same movement....

Sand Wedge Singlin is on a distinguished road Singlin's Avatar
    Sorry for not replying sooner, I have just been buisy with the last week of our Ski season.I have finally finished teaching Skiing and also closed the Hotel untill the 2nd of July.
    First of all thanks to all for the wise comments.
    I went on the course yesterday to hit some balls and you guys are spot on regarding the the lower body not rotating past impact.
    I have the tendancy to start the downswing with a snap/jerk of the chest and arms combine with a hip rotation that then stops when my belt buckle faces the ball leaving the arms to release through without the lower body.
    I concentrated on trying to relax as much as possible as I felt very tight especially in the upper body area.
    RElaxing gave me slow things down a bit and to try and let the lower body continue rotating through leaving time and space for the arms to release slightly later.
    This has been helping and I am finding that the only way I can feel the lower body rotating through before the arms and chest is to keep as relaxed as possible and slow the swing down a bit.
    REgards,
    SImon

Thread Information