CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar

Synthetic Putting Green

Hello OGers,

I am thinking about installing a synthetic putting green. Does anyone out there have one? There are so many questions I have no idea where to start.

First off, what kind of turf to get? where to get the turf?

Secondly, what size to build. (I could get carried away here...)

Mostly I would like to practice putting. However, I will be able to hit from up to 40 yards away. (Further if I want to go around the house )

Any ideas are appreciated.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    There is a thread already started on putting greens http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...en-in-Basement

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I did see the thread Bubba but I am going to put one outside so thought it may lead in another direction.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

70jr
    http://www.synlawngolf.com/real-golf-products/ I just bought this i will let you know how it works out.

Sorry didn't realize it was for outside. I suspect some of the info may apply however.

70jr
    mine is for inside but they have really nice outside setup check them out they have locations all over and this is approved by Mr pelz if that does anything to you.

Synnlawngolf looks awesome 70's.

70jr
    thanks bubba

7 Iron Deverx is on a distinguished road
    If your not in a big hurry I would check the classifieds. I see them for sale every once in a while at a pretty good price.

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    I have a synthetic green. I have installed several of them. Mine is a 5/8" nylon on a stone base with sand infill. I purchased it from putting greens direct which is now synlawn. It is 5 or 6 years old now and performs the same as it did new. I love it.

If you want to hit shots from 40 yards and hold the green, prepare to spend some money. These greens perform like hard greens on a real course. Nothing wrong with that, but you need a large green to be able to hold shots from even 40 yards.

My green is 60' long by 28' wide. If I hit a lob wedge from 40 yards I have to hit the very front and it will roll to the back. However, I can back balls up by using an illegal lob wedge, and I can hold the green from as far as 70 yards. If you want to practice out to 40 yards, the length I would recommend is 60'. The absolute minimum would be 45', and you would probably find yourself staying within 20 yards to hold a green of that length. The reason I use these numbers is because the turf comes in 15' widths so the lengths of green installations is usually in multiples of 15'.

You can do the math, but a 45' green is expensive. Then again, if I had an option of spending big bucks on a simulator or a practice green, I'd go with the green.

70jr
    pinshark there was a site that i came across that was real grass seed, i know you said synthetic but to have real grass in the backyard would be really cool. The seed i think was bent grass and you could get a cutter for 230 to cut the green. And you can make it as large as you want and you would be able to get true feel. just putting it out there

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    finished adding additional putting greens to the basement. i have up/down hill and side hill platforms. they are heavy to move.

curious if anyone else has done this but found some way to make it easy by using some type of leverage to make it very easy quick to jack up the sides to change the amount of slope. current right now have 2x4 built up and shave down for a specific slope and the platforms are heavy to hold and swap out.

in an ideal world it would be nice to have a small foot jack that lowers to the floor and step on it to raise the green the easy to slide in the new height boards.

appreciate the feedback.

Bought sears low profile jacks for $55. Works great to jack up the sides of the sloping green and slide under stands built with 2x4s.

I was hoping I can keep the jacks under the greens to make it even easier to adjust up or down but they are not as stable / safe. Its still very easy to jack up and slide the stands under rather than trying to life up the greens.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    The golfer
    I have always thought air bags would be a good idea. Fill and empty with air compressor.

today I received my Greenspeed Reader.
    bought it with their 20% sale

l previously bought the putting turf that was $16 a square meter.

Have tested the green and it reads 8 on the Stip- so pretty slow

Pay for what you get I suppose.

When I do set up an indoor or outdoor green will test first!

let us know how you like the green speed reader. i looked at it since its more portable. like that is smaller and portable but they have their own unique stimp speeds. an 8 on theirs is not the same as a USGA approved stimpmeter measuring an 8 - they have a conversion chart to reference to do the conversion.

you can also get a certified stimpmeter straight from USGA.

The conversion chart is printed on the side and the conversion is easy.

Nice , small and easy unit. Would recommend.

Thread Information