100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter duder78 is on a distinguished road

Skycaddie SGX questions

Hey there,

I'm looking into buying the SkyCaddie SGX and just wanted to hear thoughts on the device from some of the users SGX or SG5. What features strike you as good to have? I see it ships with a USB cable...can you download scores and stats to you computer? The local course support is good (Ottawa Valley) and the device reviews are generally good as well. The device, while quite pricey, looks like a solid unit. I narrowed it down to the SGX and the Callaway Upro but the poor local course support nixed the Callaway for me.

I look forward to any comments, thank you in advance.
    Last edited by duder78; 04-18-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    The SGX is a great unit. I have a SG5 who is also awesome. The battery is great (can easily play 36 holes) and the battery charges quite fast. You can connect it to your computer and download score and stats to the internet to Club SG... you will not regret buying this unit.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

I was thinking about the SG5 but I've come into a little money recently so I can afford to go cutting-edge in this case. The Golf Town gift card from christmas doesn't hurt either

So what kind of stats can it track? I've read that GIR is one useful one...how about driving distance and that sort of thing? Also, does it come preloaded with the courses or do they have to be downloaded? In the case that they need to be downloaded...can it be done by the unit alone or do you have to interface with a computer to do it?

One last lingering question I had...i'm looking to purchase the 'provincial' membership. I live in the Ottawa Valley so we neighbour with Quebec on the other side of the bridge. Would this mean that playing in Quebec wouldn't work with the unit because technically I wouldn't be in Ontario anymore? It's would be a shame...Chateau Cartier is only 20 minutes away from my home in Ontario but technically it's in Quebec...

Looking good, I'm hoping to have the unit bought and queued up for my first round of the season!

It will do GIR, # of putts, you could also register driving distance (I don't worry about that one), ... I also like the fact that if you play the same course a few time it gives you stats about the course. For example your average score on #1 at Chateau Cartier is 4.09, etc...

You have to download all the courses you want and you keep 10 loaded in your SC. You can change courses like you want.

I know they talk about provincial courses but I never have any problems downloading courses in Quebec...

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    The sgx is awesome. check out http://clubsg.skygolf.com/ for all the stat tracking.

I have the lowly sg2.5, but a golf buddy of mine upgraded to the sgx last year and I am envious.

The $35 annual membership I believe covers all courses in Quebec and Ontario.

the SGX can hold a ton of courses in its memory. My sg 2.5 can hold 20.

Look at this:

Date: 4/19/11 Handicap Before: 11.7 Handicap After: 12.2Score Type: Standard Course Handicap: 13 Method of Entry: SkyCaddieEagles: 0 Alcoholic Drinks: 2 Hours Played: 2:37

Renfrew Golf ClubHOLE123456789OUT101112131415161718INTOTAL70.5/123

White3201693172103943523684824313,0434183953793701 714764441504763,2796,322Handicap1517131139751 41261416821810 Par434344454354444354353671Score455454656445455445 374286+/- Net Score454343545374345434363673Fairway 14.3% 28.6%21.4%Putts22222222221122212131.71.8GIR33.3%11.1%22.2%
    This took me 2 seconds to cut and paste from the site.

Please don't laugh at the scores, its early in the season, I stink and I'm rusty.

But all of this info (and much more) can be entered on your hand held unit in seconds on each hole, and remember, I'm using the oldest of the SG model skycaddies.

Don't forget to join the Ottawa Golf Group once you get one!
    Last edited by Sakuraba; 04-21-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ok, its obvious it only took me 2 seconds because it looks like its mis-formatted.
    Andrew

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Oh and Sakuraba, don't sweat the scores. I'm a horrible golfer. I've only broken 90 a handful of times. This unit just seems like it would help my game..the yardage indicators alone will undoubtedly help me out. The stat tracking is an added bonus.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    you need to pay for the upgrade to use the stats and scorecard as well as the yearly membership. Unless I'm missing something. I have the SG5 and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by duder78 View Post
    Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Oh and Sakuraba, don't sweat the scores. I'm a horrible golfer. I've only broken 90 a handful of times. This unit just seems like it would help my game..the yardage indicators alone will undoubtedly help me out. The stat tracking is an added bonus.
    I had an 86 on Tuesday..., I don't know why it looks so jumbled up there (Dan!?) If you've got the $ the SGX is the best hands down. No offense to the laser crowd, but you can't compete with the awesome power of the skycaddie and clubsg.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    you need to pay for the upgrade to use the stats and scorecard as well as the yearly membership. Unless I'm missing something. I have the SG5 and love it.
    Unless this is new this year. Didn't pay anything extra last year.

is it just a matter of signing up with club sg? I would love the stats and maybe just didn't do the proper looking into this stuff.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I believe that you just go in and sign up using your current user id. It should link to your profile, and when you enter your scores on the unit, it will download them at the next sync and post all the scores/stats to ClubSG.

What's the deal with the RFID grip tags that were the big thing when this unit came out? I don't even see them mentioned on the site now. I would assume they never worked as intended and SkyGolf scrapped them.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

the scorecard option is an addon of like 20-something dollars i do believe. I think there are a few things that you get with this but the scorecard is the main thing. I'm also assuming this is a one time fee. I think I'm going to e-mail the support and try find out what is what.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    the scorecard option is an addon of like 20-something dollars i do believe. I think there are a few things that you get with this but the scorecard is the main thing. I'm also assuming this is a one time fee. I think I'm going to e-mail the support and try find out what is what.
    I had to pay for a $20 upgrade in the firmware last year or the year before to get the scorecard option on my 2.5, but I thought that all the newer ones came with it installed already? My 2.5 is 3 or 4 years old.

I bought my sg5 off here and it doesn't have it, but it's likely a few years old. I saw the upgrade on the price list and have been going back and forth on if it was worth it.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    It's worth it for sure.

lol, sitting here exploring different settings and now think it was just turned off. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow if weather permits. The birdie plan isn't just Ontario, it is all of Canada (was questioned earlier in the thread I beleive). I used mine in Nova Scotia last year.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Scorecard comes with the SGX
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

I never paid anything more than the cheapest "birdie" annual membership, and kept up to date with the free updates, and I get full access to clubsg's services. It only costs money for those who do not have active accounts.
    Andrew

5 Wood nd2golf is on a distinguished road nd2golf's Avatar
    With the upgrade you get the scorecard and it unlocks the ability to hold 20 courses.

I have the SG5 and love it.

9 Iron Forrrre is on a distinguished road Forrrre's Avatar
    I had the SG2.5 and upgraded to SGX this year. Bought mine while in Florida for $349 +tx (which is 6%).
    There's a deal out there for sure. The SGX is great. I love it. Love the ClubSG too.... Very satisfied !
    Enjoy !

2 Iron joethepro66 is on a distinguished road joethepro66's Avatar
    How do you join the Ottawa group?

Go to Club SG (Beta) .... in Groups and search for ---> OttawaGolf

Anyone else having a hell of a time installing the newest Optional update onto their SGX?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Just did mine and it seems to have worked without issue. Took about 45 minutes to complete. It disconnects s few times during the process but that's normal, just wait it out.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I did it about 10 times and it doesn't seem to want to take. I'm gonna try with a computer here at work because I'm having no luck with my two computers.

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    Hey Dudder! If you have an Iphone you wanna get the Golflogix application for 20$ a year. My bro and sis in law have Skycaddie and my Golflogix is as good and with 25,000 courses already downloaded you can't go wrong.

well, you can get your yardages wrong with the golflogix app, but it is cheap.
    Andrew

7 Wood strong49 is on a distinguished road strong49's Avatar
    Most of the time i play with my brother who owns a Skycaddie and the yardage is similar and there may be sometime a 3 yards maximum difference between both reading.

Are we that good?

''These guys are good '' as they say

Finally got the G.D. update loaded this morning. 3 days and about 20 tries it happened to take.

Thread Information