CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Advice on new iron set

Ok, some background. I shoot usually in the low 100's, broke 100 for the first time last summer, and this summer hope to have my average in the high 90's. Realistic goal I think.

Anyway, I've been using the same set of Wilson clubs I bought as a starter kit like 10 years ago. They're ok, but not very awesome.

I'm looking at getting a new set of irons, combo set. I went to Golf Town one day to look around, and the very nice sales guy told me for my level, the budget I had was good, $5-600 and that any more than that on clubs wouldn't be worth it.

On the rack they had a ton of Nike stuff, but for some reason I just don't like the shape and look of them, and almost found it distracting.

Some that i saw that may be interesting were the Cobra S3 Max combo set, the Taylormade Burner Plus set, or the Adams Idea a70S set.

Anyone have any of these sets, with comments good or bad?

The Calloway X22s are also in that price range too...... should I consider them?

Basically I would like something forgiving, that will let me hit the ball further then my basic ole Wilsons, but I'm not expecting any more then another 5 -10 yards. But I think even that would help me lower my scores by a few strokes a round!

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    If you are treating this as an investment that will last you a while (I see your last set lasted you 10 years) I would suggest getting properly fitted for clubs. There are two options. If you like the main OEM clubs, go to a place like Kevin Haime and pay for a fitting. There you will be able to hit all the current irons out there so you get a proper evaluation (beside how they look or the name on the club), and they will match you for shaft length, head lie, and ball flight characteristics. Its very beneficial.

The other option is going with club builders irons such as KZG. If you go visit Don at Artisan he too will do all the swing analysis and fit you for a proper set of irons.

I have done it both ways; I went to Kevin Haime a few years ago and tested all the irons and ended up walking away with a set of 09 Burners. I sent my wife a year later to see Don and she got fit properly for a 1/2 set of KZG irons. I'll tell you, KZG are quality irons and being properly fitted through Don I couldn't believe the night and day difference it made on my wife's next round. Ball had extra height, perfect trajectory and more distance with the proper build. When I decide to replace my burners with something more of a players iron Don will be getting my business first.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My two cents, don't try to get any extra distance from the clubs themselves. An 8i that has 36* of loft is really just a 7i in disguise and will be as easy to hit as a 7i.

Your comment about not liking the look/shape of the clubs is very important. If you don't feel confident with your clubs, you will not hit them well. So much of golf in in your head that you don't want to start off with a bad mental picture.

So, if you can narrow your choice's down to a few sets of clubs that you like the look of, try them out and decide which one feels the best when you hit them. Since they probably come in a variety of shaft types/flexes try a few different ones.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information