100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar

What would you ask Scotty regarding putter cover designs?

Hi Guys,

I'm working a new column on putter cover design for PGATour.com for my Fashion Insider column. Not being a Cameron guy, and not knowing a great deal about the putter cover collection phenomenon -- it seems to be an industry unto its own -- I'm looking for a bit of help from those of you who are Cameron aficionados. What would you ask Scotty regarding the designs, and what would you like to know about the process by which designs are decided upon, and how they come to be, etc.

The last thing I want any column to be is pedantic or irrelevant, so I thought it might be wise to go to the people who know. Thanks for any help you can give. Hopefully it will result in a column that will tell you something you previously didn't know, or at least provides a bit of entertainment.

Sincerely,

Mike
    chapeaunoirgolf.com / PGATour.com Fashion Insider.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    http://www.scottycameron.com/accesso...ails.aspx?id=2

is a link to most of the headcovers that Scotty has made. Its interesting to see how he has progressed.

You might want to try posting this to thecameroncollector.com as there is are some very knowledgeable people there.

Thanks Atomic, I appreciate it. It's all lined up, just really need to educate myself before the Q&A.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    i'd ask him why people are willing to pay obnoxious amounts of $ to acquire one ;-). That's a rhetorical question btw.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    i'd ask him why people are willing to pay obnoxious amounts of $ to acquire one ;-). That's a rhetorical question btw.
    Not being a Cameron guy I was indeed going to ask what it is that drives the market...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Ruthless marketing.

If he releases 2011 covers, there are 100 or 11 "special" ones. Like the past Masters release, there were 2000 "regular" green leather covers, and 11 "special" white ones. Lots of people buy the cover hoping that they'll recieve a 1/100, or 1/10 or 1/1 as they can be resold for a small fortune.

For example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-2011-Scotty...#ht_965wt_1139

is a link to an ebay auction of one of the special 1/11 covers. With 3 days left, it is over 1k. There are serious collectors out there that have to have all of the special covers. I don't know what their net worth is, but it must be significant to own 10-20 of these rarer models.

A lot of the releases go back a long way. There is always a hula girl released for the Sony Open. There are covers commemorating the 4 majors, various holidays and other tournaments. Scotty may have started the trend of regular releases, but other putter manufacturers have also followed suit. T.P. Mills and Bettinardi regularly release covers as well. puttertalk.com is a site that covers a variety of putter manufacturers and more information can be had there.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Ruthless marketing.

If he releases 2011 covers, there are 100 or 11 "special" ones. Like the past Masters release, there were 2000 "regular" green leather covers, and 11 "special" white ones. Lots of people buy the cover hoping that they'll recieve a 1/100, or 1/10 or 1/1 as they can be resold for a small fortune.

For example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-2011-Scotty...#ht_965wt_1139

is a link to an ebay auction of one of the special 1/11 covers. With 3 days left, it is over 1k. There are serious collectors out there that have to have all of the special covers. I don't know what their net worth is, but it must be significant to own 10-20 of these rarer models.

A lot of the releases go back a long way. There is always a hula girl released for the Sony Open. There are covers commemorating the 4 majors, various holidays and other tournaments. Scotty may have started the trend of regular releases, but other putter manufacturers have also followed suit. T.P. Mills and Bettinardi regularly release covers as well. puttertalk.com is a site that covers a variety of putter manufacturers and more information can be had there.
    I guess its like any collectable, but I've never been into collectables. If you're in it to make $ that is one thing but I'll never understand paying $1000+ for a putter cover.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Supply and demand, right?

I'd never buy this watch, but would sure be happy if they gave it to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PATEK-PHILIPPE-3...item2c583bff33

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I would like to know if he is the only one that designs the covers or does he have a team that he bounces ideas off of.

Not 100% on this, but I think that most of the designs are from Scotty and Margaret at the studio.

I'll definitely ask, thanks Quinner.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Not 100% on this, but I think that most of the designs are from Scotty and Margaret at the studio.
    Noted. Thank you sir!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    I got beat to it but yeah I'd ask how he gets Japanese businessmen to pay 10k for a putter cover.

Or how how stupid he felt making that ridiculous presentation for Damascus steel putters (had fog machines and other gimmicks).

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    I got beat to it but yeah I'd ask how he gets Japanese businessmen to pay 10k for a putter cover.

Or how how stupid he felt making that ridiculous presentation for Damascus steel putters (had fog machines and other gimmicks).
    The interview would probably be over pretty quickly if I asked that, but I get your drift
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information