CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Something I don't understand about hockey. When its 5 on 5, and a player breaks his stick, I sometimes see that player do his best to play defense without a stick and fail miserably. The other team recognizes he doesn't have a stick and basically isolate that side of the ice, so it's as if the offense is on a PowerPlay because the defender can only use his body to block a shot or pass. Why doesn't he skate over to his bench and get a new stick? It will take him 10 seconds to do this. His team can play a PK defense for 10 seconds can't they? Seriously, what's worse, being down a man for 10 seconds or being pinned in your zone for a minute without a stick?

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    OK, the sky is officially starting to fall in Vancouver. I thought the 'Nucks should have won tonight but sometimes the bounces just don't go your way. It happens. However by lobbing a couple of stinkers in games 4 and 5 they screwed themselves out of the wiggle room you need to absorb such an "unfair" outcome. Now it is severe pucker time Tuesday night in Van city.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Something I don't understand about hockey. When its 5 on 5, and a player breaks his stick, I sometimes see that player do his best to play defense without a stick and fail miserably. The other team recognizes he doesn't have a stick and basically isolate that side of the ice, so it's as if the offense is on a PowerPlay because the defender can only use his body to block a shot or pass. Why doesn't he skate over to his bench and get a new stick? It will take him 10 seconds to do this. His team can play a PK defense for 10 seconds can't they? Seriously, what's worse, being down a man for 10 seconds or being pinned in your zone for a minute without a stick?
    Pablo, if the guy who breaks/loses his stick is the actual guy covering the opposing player with the puck, it would be ill-advised to just leave him have a run to open ice to go and get a stick. At the very least, a guy without a stick can still cut off angles to the net and passing lanes. That is much better than taking off to the bench for a stick leaving your teammates to make a quick zone coverage adjustment.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Pablo, if the guy who breaks/loses his stick is the actual guy covering the opposing player with the puck, it would be ill-advised to just leave him have a run to open ice to go and get a stick. At the very least, a guy without a stick can still cut off angles to the net and passing lanes. That is much better than taking off to the bench for a stick leaving your teammates to make a quick zone coverage adjustment.
    I know what I'm saying is like playing Russian roulette, but I don't see how it's more dangerous than watching a guy play without a stick. Maybe the goalie can yell "ZONE D" or something, and the 4 guys remaining can collapse low for a bit until their 5th skater can get a stick. It probably won't work in all situations because if the 4 guys on the ice are not good at PKing, or they are important skilled players on the team, you don't want those guys blocking shots.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    ...or you could just do what Campbell did to Halpern, just steal your opponent's stick! That's just bad karma & I hope it comes back to haunt Boston tonight.
    Andrew

Thread Information