100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar

Rickie Fowler, hatgate

I wrote a piece on my blog last night about Rickie Fowler being asked to turn his hat around in the media center on Monday. Click the link in my signature to have a look. What do you guys think? This is getting a lot of comments around the internet this morning...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    i don't have a problem with it. Most private clubs have a dress code, just abide. you are a guest at the club.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I have to admit I don't like caps worn askew or backwards. One step away from sagging pants. I can't understand how that passes as "style" but that's just my opinion and can't be imposed on anyone.

Manners on the other hand shouldn't be ignored. Take your hat off at the door.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I have to admit I don't like caps worn askew or backwards. One step away from sagging pants. I can't understand how that passes as "style" but that's just my opinion and can't be imposed on anyone.

Manners on the other hand shouldn't be ignored. Take your hat off at the door.
    My point exactly. Well said.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I could never understand the reasoning why you take your hat off at the door and why it's disrespectful if you don't. Can someone explain this to me?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Fowler reminds me of Andre Agassi before he won anything.

Good for Augusta for showing this tree huggin hippie who's boss!

Sorry...what about Fowler screams hippie? That he's young, has longer hair, wears flamboyant clothing and probably could have been a pro motocross rider? I don't think he drinks and from that I would assume that he's probably not into the wacky tabacky. Sorry just not sure what pegs him as a hippie...the backwards hat is somewhat of the norm in today's pop culture.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    yep new style, but respect the clubs rules. On that note i think Phil should bring back the poped collar! Classsic!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    With your reference to Jim Furyk wearing his cap backwards during the last putt to win the Fedex Cup...I thought he did this cause it was raining and probably didn't want water dripping off the brim of his cap during a $10 million putt. I've done this during my rounds in the rain while putting. I noticed in the photos aferwards while Jim was holding the Fedex Cup...his cap was on correctly

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    With your reference to Jim Furyk wearing his cap backwards during the last putt to win the Fedex Cup...I thought he did this cause it was raining and probably didn't want water dripping off the brim of his cap during a $10 million putt. I've done this during my rounds in the rain while putting. I noticed in the photos aferwards while Jim was holding the Fedex Cup...his cap was on correctly
    My point was that there wasn't anything wrong with wearing a cap backwards per se -- really, it doesn't matter what style of cap it is, or how you wear it. My contention was it just shouldn't be worn indoors, in whatever manner it may be.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I could never understand the reasoning why you take your hat off at the door and why it's disrespectful if you don't. Can someone explain this to me?
    Rather than recount what has been said elsewhere, I think the first few responses at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0182440AAIJgJe sums it up...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Sorry just not sure what pegs him as a hippie...the backwards hat is somewhat of the norm in today's pop culture.
    I'm just teasin the kid. As for the backwards hat, really? Is that still cool? I think the backwards hat looks stoopid, so I wear a bucket hat. RIcky should get one because it's reversible. lol

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Played against Rickie in Cali a few times, kid is money, great guy and yes very Californian....which includes, tree hugging, organic foods and 59 - 50 baseball caps...made by New Era ......and proly water bongs......standard in la la land.....

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingLow View Post
    Played against Rickie in Cali a few times, kid is money, great guy and yes very Californian....which includes, tree hugging, organic foods and 59 - 50 baseball caps...made by New Era ......and proly water bongs......standard in la la land.....
    How did you manage to play with Rickie?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hat off at the door, thank you.
    I was out for dinner last night and I couldn't believe how many men in their 40's and 50's were wearing their hats on in the restaurant. It's rude and disrespectful. And it looks really stupid when grown men wear their hat to the dinner table.
    Last edited by Break68; 04-07-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar

Rickie

Alot of reasons, lived in Cali 7 years, played on an Amateur tour for OC wedge, friends with Joe Skovron ( Rickie's caddy, and a stick as well ) and owner of beyond the links golf wear ( sick stuff ). Rickie wore this stuff till Puma came in and gave him 6 digits, they give Joe crap for wearing his own gear now.....check it www.beyondthelinks.com great logo, very popular in SoCal.

My handicap has shot up since moving back to Canada....lol ...

Played with a few guys that I won't forget.......

I also caddy for a few guys down there, and will be on the bag for a friend on the LPGA tour a few times this year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    How did you manage to play with Rickie?

I meant no disrespect. I was just shocked that someone up here in the cold Ottawa Valley would know someone on Tour from SoCal.
    Very cool.

I am still baffled why people in this day and age find it disrespectful (I get club rules, he should follow them). So am I to assume that you guys that find the hat inside disrespectful, put your coat down for ladies to walk across puddles, and open the ladies car door first, etc?

I am still baffled why people in this day and age find it disrespectful (I get club rules, he should follow them). So am I to assume that you guys that find the hat inside disrespectful, put your coat down for ladies to walk across puddles, and open the ladies car door first, etc?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manners

To answer your question of "why" it is this way, I don't know.

2 Iron SkinDawg is on a distinguished road
    I am completely with you here. One person even commented about baggy pants? Really ? Do you also find it disrepectful when kids gel their hair or people grow their hair too long? Just because you didn't do that 50 years ago when you were their age? Times change.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I too find it off-putting when I see individuals who should know better wearing their hats in a restaurant. Yes, not wearing it is just a convention, but failing to comply with that convention marks the person, rightly or wrongly, as one who is out of touch with, or unaware of, social customs. As for opening the door for a woman and allowing her to step through first and other such acts, I do them all. Chivalry may be on the ropes, but it's not dead.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinDawg View Post
    I am completely with you here. One person even commented about baggy pants? Really ? Do you also find it disrepectful when kids gel their hair or people grow their hair too long? Just because you didn't do that 50 years ago when you were their age? Times change.
    Yah we all looked stupid when we were kids. Kids do silly things for "style". It's ok when cillin' with your friends at home, but when you are hanging with the grownups at Augusta...

Not baggy pants, "sagging" pants. You know, gangsta kids showing off the underwear. If you have to walk like a duck to keep your pants from falling off perhaps maybe pull them up. Yes it's disrespectful to those who don't want to see that, and there are lots of us, trust me.

I am still baffled why people in this day and age find it disrespectful (I get club rules, he should follow them).
    Do you take your hat off when you shake hands with your playing partners on the 18th green? Most people do.

I do remove my hat after a round for no other reason than the guys do it on TV. If someone were to ask me why I do it, I would only be able to answer - "Cause I do". I have no reasoning behind it, and I often wear my hat indoors. I don't do it because I am trying disrespect anyone, I do it because I like wearing the hat. I think it's rather archaic to think that someone would take offense or think that I am disrespecting them because I am wearing a hat.

I also use to be one of those "gangsta kids' (mind you I have never shot, stabbed or even beaten someone up) when I was younger and seeing kids now I think it looks rather ridiculous. My style has actually become rather preppy and I take pride in making myself presentable, but I still think that feeling disrespected for someone wearing their hat in the house is old fashioned and like some of the rules in golf, needs to go!

Agent99

According to the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable by E. Cobham Brewer,
    the custom of taking off the hat is:

“A relic of the ancient custom of taking off the helmet when no danger
    is nigh. A man takes off his hat to show that he dares stand unarmed
    in your presence.”

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    According to the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable by E. Cobham Brewer,
    the custom of taking off the hat is:

“A relic of the ancient custom of taking off the helmet when no danger
    is nigh. A man takes off his hat to show that he dares stand unarmed
    in your presence.”
    Awesome! I better get my knight helmet all shined up....not sure the last time I walked around armed...oh yeah...never!

Yah we all looked stupid when we were kids. Kids do silly things for "style". It's ok when cillin' with your friends at home, but when you are hanging with the grownups at Augusta...

Not baggy pants, "sagging" pants. You know, gangsta kids showing off the underwear. If you have to walk like a duck to keep your pants from falling off perhaps maybe pull them up. Yes it's disrespectful to those who don't want to see that, and there are lots of us, trust me.
    I think the easiest of solutions then would be to mind your own business rather then judging all around you. I do not mean that in a rude way. Kids wearing their pants low, is not to anger crusty adults. Each person in this country has the right to express themselves however they like. Wearing your pants low is not disrespectful nor illegal. That would be like me saying people who drive 1997 civics that keep breaking down in front of me are disrespectful. I do not understand your point unfortunately but that is such in a discussion.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Hat off at the door, thank you.
    I was out for dinner last night and I couldn't believe how many men in their 40's and 50's were wearing their hats on in the restaurant. It's rude and disrespectful. And it looks really stupid when grown men wear their hat to the dinner table.
    I agree.

I would say most private golf clubs request you remove your hat when entering the clubhouse. I know Hunt Club does.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinDawg View Post
    Each person in this country has the right to express themselves however they like. Wearing your pants low is not disrespectful nor illegal. I do not understand your point unfortunately but that is such in a discussion.
    If kids want to look silly that's OK. I could really care less if they want to show of their rebellious side. You can't deny that that's what it is, bucking against social norms.

When you go into someone's "house" such as the clubhouse at Augusta, it's best to show respect and mind your manners.

It can take a while for young people to catch on to the concept of how being polite and courteous can enhance relationships. Once you get into the business world, dressing down or not caring about manners can cost you some serious money (and other opportunities) in the long run. Sure you have the right to remain outside of such circles. There are some very profitable etiquette schools to teach the stuff that help people fit in with those who do care about such things.

Food for thought.

If kids want to look silly that's OK. I could really care less if they want to show of their rebellious side. You can't deny that that's what it is, bucking against social norms.

When you go into someone's "house" such as the clubhouse at Augusta, it's best to show respect and mind your manners.

It can take a while for young people to catch on to the concept of how being polite and courteous can enhance relationships. Once you get into the business world, dressing down or not caring about manners can cost you some serious money (and other opportunities) in the long run. There are some very profitable etiquette schools to teach the stuff that help people fit in with those who do care about such things. Yes sure you have the right to remain outside of such circles.

Food for thought.
    Respect is in the eye of the beholder. There is no rule book. These are all YOUR opinions but not everyone's so to paint the entire population with a single brush stroke is wildly inaccurate. I myself do not find it offensive when someone enters my home with a hat on. That is just how I feel and there is nothing wrong with that. I am with you that Rickie should have complied with the "Rules" of Augusta if he was aware. The other arguments are strictly your close minded opinions.

Thread Information