100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    The idea that ignoring proper etiquette can hurt your professional life, isn't just some close minded opinion. You can say "I do what I like" as much as you want but many people will still not hire you if they can see your underwear at the job interview.

Part of the problem is that this gangsta style specifically cultivates an unkempt appearance. Yeah, I know it took you an hour to get your jeans to hang just so and pick out the proper gold chain to go with your askew Raiders cap, but it still ends up looking lazy-slob like.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    I personally don't feel like wearing a hat indoors is disrepectful and, again, just my opinion, maybe 20 years ago it was but now I think the "norm" or whatever you want to call it has changed.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    Once you get into the business world, dressing down or not caring about manners can cost you some serious money (and other opportunities) in the long run. Sure you have the right to remain outside of such circles. There are some very profitable etiquette schools to teach the stuff that help people fit in with those who do care about such things.

although, Google might have something to say about this.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    personally I could care less if someone wore a hat in my house, but if I am going to someone else's house, I will happily abide by their rules as I am a guest. While manners, traditions, and history seems to be going by the wayside these days, it's nice to see them held up in Augusta. These things make the world a better place.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Interesting discussion to follow, lots of good points throughout.

A couple of links to other stuff I've written in the last day... thanks for allowing me to share them.

http://www.chapeaunoirgolf.com/chape...oir-style.html

http://www.chapeaunoirgolf.com/chape...low-shirt.html
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Master Bunny Edition by Pearly Gates. What the ....
    That is some strange fashion, I must say.
    Great article though.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Sorry...what about Fowler screams hippie? That he's young, has longer hair, wears flamboyant clothing and probably could have been a pro motocross rider? I don't think he drinks and from that I would assume that he's probably not into the wacky tabacky. Sorry just not sure what pegs him as a hippie...the backwards hat is somewhat of the norm in today's pop culture.
    I'm sure he's completely free of vices..like most kids in their early 20's. It seem ignorant to believe the guy doesn't go out and party at that age. The hat is disrespectful to say the least. I would never carry myself like that around a golf course. That's not the image I want to portray to people. He's lucky he's talented because that is the only reason he 'get's away' with things like this. He is able to mold his image from a young age and I certainly would not choose to dress in such attention seeking outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    I am still baffled why people in this day and age find it disrespectful (I get club rules, he should follow them). So am I to assume that you guys that find the hat inside disrespectful, put your coat down for ladies to walk across puddles, and open the ladies car door first, etc?
    There is something to be said for being chivalrous. I always take my hat off indoors. The same as I shake someones hand after a round or when being introduced. I would hold the door for all people as that is the courteous thing to do. I cannot understand why people choose not to carry themselves in a decent and respectable manner when given the choice.

As a side note I'm 19 years old. Respect has nothing to do with the generation you grew up in or your age, just your character.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    As a young kid going to church men were asked to remove their hats while women could keep theirs on

I wonder if a golfer showed up with a piercing if they would ask him to remove it

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Omg

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinDawg View Post
    Respect is in the eye of the beholder. There is no rule book. These are all YOUR opinions but not everyone's so to paint the entire population with a single brush stroke is wildly inaccurate. I myself do not find it offensive when someone enters my home with a hat on. That is just how I feel and there is nothing wrong with that. I am with you that Rickie should have complied with the "Rules" of Augusta if he was aware. The other arguments are strictly your close minded opinions.
    out to lunch

+1

+2

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Master Bunny Edition by Pearly Gates. What the ....
    That is some strange fashion, I must say.
    Great article though.
    Thanks Break. Japanese golf clothes are indeed interesting.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    I'm sure he's completely free of vices..like most kids in their early 20's. It seem ignorant to believe the guy doesn't go out and party at that age. The hat is disrespectful to say the least. I would never carry myself like that around a golf course. That's not the image I want to portray to people. He's lucky he's talented because that is the only reason he 'get's away' with things like this. He is able to mold his image from a young age and I certainly would not choose to dress in such attention seeking outfits.

There is something to be said for being chivalrous. I always take my hat off indoors. The same as I shake someones hand after a round or when being introduced. I would hold the door for all people as that is the courteous thing to do. I cannot understand why people choose not to carry themselves in a decent and respectable manner when given the choice.

As a side note I'm 19 years old. Respect has nothing to do with the generation you grew up in or your age, just your character.
    So you have a problem with him dressing as he does? I don't get why anybody would care what colors you are wearing on the golf course. Are you only supposed to dress in white/black and maybe red? Isn't it disrespectful to question him because of apparel and just assume he parties because of his age?

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    So you have a problem with him dressing as he does? I don't get why anybody would care what colors you are wearing on the golf course. Are you only supposed to dress in white/black and maybe red? Isn't it disrespectful to question him because of apparel and just assume he parties because of his age?
    Yes I do. He looks like a painter and not a professional golfer and the jumpsuits look stupid. There are many guys on tour (Villegas etc.) who dress colorfully and remain classy. I'm not saying he is a bad person for it and I have heard all good things about him. Saying that he probably parties was not intended to be insulting it's just likely he does. My point there was that you cannot assume he doesn't just because you believe he has a good image.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    Respect has nothing to do with the generation you grew up in or your age, just your character.

and as Payne Stewart used to say 'You want to dress like this, you better be good'

I do think Fowler can choose to dress like a clown and still be respectful and courteous, and frankly, I think he's good for the game.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Odd topic, I never knew basic common courtesy was debatable.

It's just a gesture of respect for those around you. No one's trying to infringe on someone's rights, no one's getting "screwed" being told what to do.

Let's leave a few things alone that still work.

Thread Information