CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    4 Iron wantobegolfer is on a distinguished road wantobegolfer's Avatar
    Lol...what I should of asked originally was:

What do you guys think of a "golf etiquette awarness breifing"?

Like Andru said earlier, make the people aware, simply because they dont know.

Farzin, thats cute but a little much...lol.

And as for em69 commenting on and I quote:"Where in the rules of golf does it state that there IS a time limit? The last time I was at the course, I didn't see a time clock running nor was there an official time keeper."

What can you tell me about a marshalls role on the golf course?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wantobegolfer
    Lol...what I should of asked originally was:

What do you guys think of a "golf etiquette awarness breifing"?

Like Andru said earlier, make the people aware, simply because they dont know.

Farzin, thats cute but a little much...lol.

And as for em69 commenting on and I quote:"Where in the rules of golf does it state that there IS a time limit? The last time I was at the course, I didn't see a time clock running nor was there an official time keeper."

Is this a trick question? The notion of a marshall wanting you to finish in 4.5 hours is irrelevant, the rules of golf do not specify a time limit. Besides, marshalls are not there to enforce the Rules. They are there search for balls.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by wantobegolfer

As EDS pointed out - there area a number of courses with clocks on them, and in my experience the marshalls job seems to be to listen to the ball game on his transistor radio.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    hopefully this doesn't turn into yet another marshall bashing thread....

Etiquette on the course is between players and players only. If there are problems with the marshalls, complain to the management of the course in question.

I was trying to stay away from this thread but as far as good etiquette goes, well, it is generally blamed on you(the golfer), by someone else. For example, I have recently found out that my routine for putting takes too long by someone who I play with frequently. I never knew that until he mentioned it. Sure, I, as most golfers, have a certain routine before making a shot. The last thing I want to do is rush my shot to the point that I just want to shoot, otherwise I'm in caca with the other person waiting...

Etiquette is based on the fact that golf is a pure test of the mind..... It's common sense.

Personally, I love to play golf with "newbies" to the sport. I can teach them the right way to enjoy the game.... and point out the wrong things to do on the course.

I guess that what I'm really trying to say is that instead of complaining about people who know nothing about golf who play "our" courses, help them out instead of critisizing them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sometimes it's hard to tell someone not to do soemthing (or how to so something) without sounding critical. I think a lot of times one would like to point out a problem to an uninformed player but don't because they want to ne a nice guy, or they do not know the other person at all. Some may just be too shy and not want to sound like a know it all.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Sometimes it's hard to tell someone not to do soemthing (or how to so something) without sounding critical. I think a lot of times one would like to point out a problem to an uninformed player but don't because they want to ne a nice guy, or they do not know the other person at all. Some may just be too shy and not want to sound like a know it all.
    This is esactly my problem. I play with my father in law regularly, and he is the spike mark king. His problem is very bad arthritis, and he can't pull his ball out ot the cup without dragging his foot. (he has great difficulty bending his knees) My solution has been to: a) give him a lot of putts b) pull his out of the cup along with mine or c) to be franticly tamping down the spike marks while I replace the flag. But as a non-confrontational person, I'd rather replace my fellow player's ball mark or divot than tell him to do so.

The discussions that I have with fellow players is usually restricted to pace of play. The unrepaired ball marks and un-replaced divots are at least as big a problem as pace of play imo. I especially enjoy replacing a nice fat ballmark, especially if its from a green I hit in regulation.

Speaking of pace of play, I never mind waiting on somoeone fixing a ball mark.

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    I think a marshal's job is more than just taking care of the pace play. I have seen today for the first time that some player or players had driven in the bunkers and on the greens with a golf cart. A marshal's job would be to watch out for this kind of people and keep them away from the golf course and report them to the pro shop. How sad it is to see those greens with tire marks from one side to the other side. I spoke to the marshal about it. He said it must have happend yesterday late in the evening while a few players had one too many drinks. Also those who drink at the golf course and throw their empty bottles behind the trees and or anywhere in the course. Believe me nothing is worth than picking up bottles and cans on the golf course where there is a trash can almost at every hole. If you bring your own booze, which is not OK, the least you can do is to keep the course clean and not throw them everywhere in the course. They rather see the empty bottles in the trash can than all over the course and pay somebody to pick up empty bottels and increase the fees. A marshal's job is also to guide the new players around the course and make sure that they are not wondering from first whole to the forth hole or viceversa.. Marshals are there to help players with the paste of play, keep the course in order and make sure everybody is happy while playing.
    My 2 cents is not worth a penny.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    IMO, the idea of any type of etiquette enforcement or training is utterly ridiculous.
    The game of golf already has enough "accessibility" issues to surmount without compounding the matter further with such trivial things.
    Some things are trivial, some are just so obvious, there's no excuse NOT to do it. Example: REPAIR YOUR BALL MARKS. Seeing as you're probably planning on returning to the course, WHY WOULDN"T YOU? It takes 2 seconds.

DONT DRIVE AT PEOPLE...seems pretty obvious, right, but people do something so ridiculously dangerous simply because they cant fathom anyone else existing on their world.

So I do NOT agree...some things are not trivial.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    This is esactly my problem. I play with my father in law regularly, and he is the spike mark king. His problem is very bad arthritis, and he can't pull his ball out ot the cup without dragging his foot. (he has great difficulty bending his knees) My solution has been to: a) give him a lot of putts b) pull his out of the cup along with mine or c) to be franticly tamping down the spike marks while I replace the flag. But as a non-confrontational person, I'd rather replace my fellow player's ball mark or divot than tell him to do so.
    By the way, good for you. The elderly or arthritis-ridden can make as many spike marks as they like. Theres nothing he can do about it....I'd rather he enjoy his outing, Ill tamp down the marks when I get there.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    Where in the rules of golf does it state that there IS a time limit? The last time I was at the course, I didn't see a time clock running nor was there an official time keeper.

As a longtime golfer, I feel it is my responsibility to share the etiquette of the game as others passed on to me. IMHO, this is far less abrasive to the new players and would cost nothing. Be ambasodors to the game and share your knowledge.
    Not interested in arguing. If you have something constructive to add I'll engage.

Good Day.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    IMO, the idea of any type of etiquette enforcement or training is utterly ridiculous.
    The game of golf already has enough "accessibility" issues to surmount without compounding the matter further with such trivial things.
    You should really read what has been written before responding because youre taking this dicussion back to the beginning again. Of course it's ridiculous. That's why I suggested a friendly meet and greet session where you're playing with other beginners in a non-critical environment. Why are golfers so closed to new ideas. They do it in almost every other social sport.

BTW I've argued the point you made extensively. That doesn't mean ther are not constuctive ways of making a round of golf on a public course enjoyable for all.

Andru
    Farzin

Check your PM's

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Not interested in arguing. If you have something constructive to add I'll engage.

Good Day.

You having a bad there Andru? I do not want to argue anything. The original thread clearly asked for opinions and my opinion is that I walk and pull my own cart, therefore having no interest in the proposed business plan.

I'm done with this thread... :po and again Good Luck! with the course.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmania
    By the way, good for you. The elderly or arthritis-ridden can make as many spike marks as they like. Theres nothing he can do about it....I'd rather he enjoy his outing, Ill tamp down the marks when I get there.
    Agreed 100%. Good on ya'.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Good golf etiquette doesn't have to be uptight, either. I think the name "etiquette" conjures up unpopular mental images of sitting up straight, buttoning the top button of your shirt, raising your hand before you speak etc.. On the golf course, I don't mind the odd curse word, the odd drunk (myself included), the odd "woo-hoo" for a nice shot. Just take care of the course, and keep pace. That's all etiquette means to me. The other stuff is human nature, and if you don't like the swearing drunks, don't play with them. As long as they don't hold up play, don't bother other groups, and look after the course, I think they are allowed to behave how they like.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    I was trying to stay away from this thread but as far as good etiquette goes, well, it is generally blamed on you(the golfer), by someone else. For example, I have recently found out that my routine for putting takes too long by someone who I play with frequently. I never knew that until he mentioned it. Sure, I, as most golfers, have a certain routine before making a shot. The last thing I want to do is rush my shot to the point that I just want to shoot, otherwise I'm in caca with the other person waiting...
    Most golfers who are slow don't realize that they are and likewise, those who are fast, probably don't realize this either.

I just checked the Slow Play guidelines that I was given at the RCGA Seniors Championship last month, and the OVGA slow play guidelines on their website. Both are identical. From the time it is the golfers turn to play, he has 40 seconds MAXIMUM to pull the trigger.

Just have someone time you. If you are within the 40 seconds, then it does not matter what someone else thinks. If you are over 40 seconds then the routine must be shortened. I thought that I was slow until it was determined that my average time per first putt was 25 seconds.

Interestingly, in the 2003 Alexander of Tunis tournament, my group was declared "Out of Position" after tee shots were hit on the second hole, and we were the first group off. One of my fellow competitors took over 2 minutes to hit his tee shot on the par 3 second hole at Rivermead and was told as he walked to the green that he was OOP and would be timed. While he was PO'ed, the other FC and I thought that it was great because we were fairly fast and knew that we would probably finish the round in reasonable time.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Most golfers who are slow don't realize that they are and likewise, those who are fast, probably don't realize this either.

I just checked the Slow Play guidelines that I was given at the RCGA Seniors Championship last month, and the OVGA slow play guidelines on their website. Both are identical. From the time it is the golfers turn to play, he has 40 seconds MAXIMUM to pull the trigger.
    My routine is inside the 40 second bracket. No worries there. Mind you, some people who I play with only take around 10 seconds to line up, and make the stroke (putting). My routine takes between 25-30 seconds, which must seem like eternity to some..... :jitter

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

etiquette

just a off topic note...you can get several aid that go on the end of your father in
    laws putter which will enable him to get his ball out of the hole without having to
    bend over...most golf stores have several varieties..good luck

Thread Information