CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Golftown National Amateur Series

http://media.golftown.com/LBNewsletter/04-05-2011/

I signed up for Eagle Creek on July 20th.

Ruskie's in.

Anyone else?

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    So it's $150 for one round? Not to be negative but I could imagine that type of event to be frustrating to play in given the field isn't restricted. For $150 one could enter almost all of the Men's OVGA events with most likely a better field and a better chance of winning something (shop credit).They advertise four exemptions to the Canadian Am but I'm not sure why any decent player would bother qualifying through that event.

True, it's a one round tournament. The way I see it, if I'm not a Clublink member this year then the guest fee to play Eagle Creek will cost me about $100 walking, so it would be fun to play in this event for $150+tax. I don't plan on winning anything, maybe a hat and keychain? lol. The point for me is just to experience tournament golf.

I'm gonna try to enter the Citizen too, which will be 2 days minimum before I get cut.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The price may be a little on the high side but for the many people who can't play in the OVGA events, it's a good chance to play in a competitive stroke play tournament.

$150 for Eagle Creek isn't that bad since it include "gifts", cart, and a meal.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The price may be a little on the high side but for the many people who can't play in the OVGA events, it's a good chance to play in a competitive stroke play tournament.

$150 for Eagle Creek isn't that bad since it include "gifts", cart, and a meal.
    I know for Golf Quebec events they introduced some 'Public Player' spots for events; I'm not sure if the OVGA has introduced this at all. It's not a bad event if the intention is just to have a good time however there are much better (and cheaper) events for those looking for better fields.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    True, it's a one round tournament. The way I see it, if I'm not a Clublink member this year then the guest fee to play Eagle Creek will cost me about $100 walking, so it would be fun to play in this event for $150+tax. I don't plan on winning anything, maybe a hat and keychain? lol. The point for me is just to experience tournament golf.

I'm gonna try to enter the Citizen too, which will be 2 days minimum before I get cut.
    The Citizen would probably have a better field, although I remember a friend of mine a few years ago played with a guy who shot 114. I'm not a fan of the format of the event but it seems many people enjoy it. The entry for this event is quite reasonable considering what you can receive.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Well, when, as a public player, you're not allowed entry into any OVGA events, tournaments like this one suddenly seem very attractive. (refer to the "Handicapping for public players" thread in General forum for a detailed discussion of public player's view of OVGA )

As was mentioned before, $150 is very reasonable for Eagle Creek, and I'm sure Golf Town will not skimp on the prizes. There's another one at Fontainblue in Montreal, also for $150, that I'm thinking of entering.

Citizen is nice, but for us over-8-index hackers it's not an option, while this one gives a realistic chance of winning your class and qualifying for the national event in Niagra.

All in all, I think it's well worth the entry fee. Last year they required $100 or so to join the tour before you could register, which was too much for one event, but this year it's much more reasonable.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I wonder if they have some deal for CL members...most likely not. I would hate to pay $150 to play eagle just to get some competition...but maybe I will have to.

And I tried to submit a question through the website and it's broken...

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Wow...submitted my question through the Great Lakes Tour website and have already received a response:

Clublink has agreed to to credit the Green Fee portion of any Clublink members according to their level of Membership post event. We are supplying the list of players to the course after each event and the member will be credited after that time. Member will need to identify themselves at Registration at the event.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I will be very tempted to sign up.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I will sign up for sure...looks like a lot of fun...very similar to the Golf Channels Am Tour.

Are you reading OVGA...public players prepared to pay $150 for tournament golf...uhmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Are you reading OVGA...public players prepared to pay $150 for tournament golf...uhmmmmmm
    Well, let's not get carried away here, I wouldn't pay $150 to play, say, Pineview. However, if these guys can put up an event for $50 on top of regular green fees, there should be no reason why OVGA can't do the same, so an event at said Pineview would cost around $90...

So some are registering for the Eagle creek round... anyone playing any others in Quebec or the Eastern toronto events???

Just curious....

Event #22 - Fountainebleu Mon. Aug. 22nd, 2011 Laval

Event #7 - Le Royal Bromont Sun. June 12, 2011 La Ville de Bromont

Event #3 - Club de golf l'ils de Montreal Sun. May 22, 2011 Montreal

I guess no one is planning on playing in any of the other tournaments ? I wonder if the golfnuts are playing in any of them in the Toronto area ?

this weekend it is in Burlington...

Eagle Creek, that is all.

I'm considering signing up for the Fontainebleu event, but there's still time. I'll wait to see what EC even is going to be like.

Yah !!! I'm now considered a public player with GAO !!
    Now to start working on my handicap, and I might even head to the Club de golf l'ils de Montreal event this weekend !!
    Must make decisions quick! Wonder if the Gf wants to go shopping in Montreal sunday !! lol...

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Awesome, we get credit by ClubLink after the event? Well now I think I'll play, seems like fun!

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar
    I signed up for the Eagle Creek round as well.
    Does anyone know if you can get on Eagle Creek to practice before hand? Is there a Clublink guest policy that would allow me to play? Or do I just hang out at the front gate with a case of beer. Its been a while since I played there. (no delusions of winning but would like to compete)

Hopefully i can get that day off. With it being in the middle of the week, I'm crossing my fingers. On the other hand playing it blind may be fun and exciting but a challenge none the less.

Yea you can play with a Clublink member, if you ever want to get out for a game let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I signed up for the Eagle Creek round as well.
    Does anyone know if you can get on Eagle Creek to practice before hand? Is there a Clublink guest policy that would allow me to play? Or do I just hang out at the front gate with a case of beer. Its been a while since I played there. (no delusions of winning but would like to compete)

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Any idea what tees they play for the tourney? What yardage will the course play? What are the low scores in events like this?

No idea about the tees, but you can see the scores fir all past events on their web site in the stats section. It's a little clunky, but usable.

I'll be playing in the event this weekend in montreal. They set the tees & give out tee times based on the flight you are in 2 days prior I believe. For the A flight (6-12 handicaps) the scores have been in the range of 79 - 107 looking at the first 2 events. We'll see how it goes and I'll will update as this is the first type of event like this I'm playing in. I'm a little nervous ! lol...

Next event is sunday in Niagara Falls. Hopefully what happened in Montreal (a few really bad holes) doesn't come into play again.

Here is hoping!

Looks like you're really getting into it Give us more details, how was the event, how did you play?

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Yea you can play with a Clublink member, if you ever want to get out for a game let me know
    Just signed up for EC event.....hint hint
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    Just signed up for EC event.....hint hint
    I'm hoping to play in this one. Its actually local !! no travel for me! lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    Looks like you're really getting into it Give us more details, how was the event, how did you play?
    Alrighty so i have now completed 2 events, and at least I can say is that I see progression. Both of my rounds can be found here.
    http://www.golftownnationalamateurse...er=2512&game=0

I'm not completely happy with the event #3, as this was my first time actually playing golf in this format. Event #4 got better, well at least on the back 9. You'll see what I mean when you check out the score cards.
    The events themselves are run good as I really have nothing to compare it with. Check-in has been super quick at both events due to staggared tee times, there hasn't been to a shot gun start yet, which may slow down registration (possibly). Everyone tees off in a row to make is quicker/easier at the end, and prizes for top finishers have been done once your flight is completed. They have live stats for those with smartphones available on the course so when in the club house they have a tv setup scrolling through the scores or available for online viewing.

So how did I perform some of you are thinking?

Well event #3 didn't go so well, which was held at Club de golf l'ils de Montreal (The Ireland course). While checking in I heard Denis (one of the organizers) mentioning him playing the course the day before and how punishing the fescue was if you miss the fairway. Well I did end up living through what he was telling the other competitors. My nerves didn't help me getting off the first tee, but it was still fun to get the first one out of the way.

The fairways were tiny from what I am used to with the course around here. For the holes that you tend to have some extra room (which isn't a lot) just picture pot hole fairway bunkers in the middle of it. LOL.... The fescue in the hills that lined a lot of the fairways was about 3 feet in length and was thick. It ended up taking me a couple wacks just to get the ball out and into the ruff, where I was actually happy with the outcome. All in all a tough course, but when you miss the fairway by 15 yards and you are searching for you ball in thick fescue on a hill doesn't make for a very enjoyable round. Thanks to my playing partners that made it an enjoyable round. Oh yeah, and I only lost 3 balls.

Event #4 - Grand Niagara. Now this course was more to my liking. It had a little bit of room off the tee when I pulled driver and some holes lined with trees so I used hybrid. My nerves on this first tee, as you hear your name being called out, were still there a little but not as much as the first time. I played this one smarter, and hit hybrid. Yeah nerves didn't get to me!!!! You'll see in the score card that I made a few brain farts on hole #2, a short par 3.
    Break down of destruction.... Well I pulled the tee shot right into yet again some fescue. Used the pw to pop it out to the side hill lie of the green. Tried to run up the pw to the green and overshot it into the bunker on the other side. Then I thinned the bunker shot over the green again to the rough (just missing the fescue by 2 feet). I didn't take my time to switch clubs between shots and actually think about everything. I was more trying to rush because I thought I was slowing everyone else down. So after all that I got the right club for the job, chipped it up on the hill again (chunked shot), then finally another chip to get to the green and 2 putt. Wow am I embarrased now playing with these 2 guys. I appologized for my lack luster performace. On the card you'll see it didn't get much better for the rest of the front 9, but I at least minimized the damage.

Then I came around the turn and said to myself, "Alright, its a new game time to start over. You can do this!" Well sure enough I did do it. I thought there was room to miss on the final par 5 of the round, so I hit driver. My initial game plan (that was devised prior to the round) was to hit hybrid, but I went with driver. Well "Mr. Slice" came out to play and the ball was gone into the hazard, not knowing it was red staked I teed up a provisional to play safe and I was good to go from there.

All in all it was a good enoyable round and the final 9 holes gave me back some of the confidence that I have lost in the last couple weeks. A couple more events like this and I think the nerves will start to slowly disappear. **hopefully**

Next event is at Royal Bromont - June 12 !
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

I just registered for Eagle Creek on the 14th. Looking forward to my first tournament with a decent entry fee (although being a CL member, I should get a good chunk back).
    If anyone wants to practice before then at EC, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I just registered for Eagle Creek on the 14th. Looking forward to my first tournament with a decent entry fee (although being a CL member, I should get a good chunk back).
    If anyone wants to practice before then at EC, let me know
    Hey Denis,

I will try to take you up on your offer. I've never played Eagle Creek so it will be a treat for me!! Looks like I'm back mon - fri for the next 6 weeks starting june 12th. So no more friday golf for me, but I would definitely love to get out before hand!

Tim
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    Hey Denis,

I will try to take you up on your offer. I've never played Eagle Creek so it will be a treat for me!! Looks like I'm back mon - fri for the next 6 weeks starting june 12th. So no more friday golf for me, but I would definitely love to get out before hand!

Tim
    Whenever I play EC and I get to 18th hole and I'm sad that the round is over. It's such a pleasure being out there.

Thread Information