100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hitting mats

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks.
    Just made a couple of golf club racks which is not only practical but also looks great.
    Waiting for a new impact screen. When I get it I will post some pictures.

Called the shop they say it is 3M Nomad Scraper Mat.
    Not sure which model# But it is a great product even the green is not real grass green.

70jr

the hitting mat will be here on Monday. if all the pieces come together i think i will be able to finish the sim room in two weeks

7 Iron Deverx is on a distinguished road
    syhlif32 how about a picture of your club racks?

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    that would be kinda funny and cool if they were like pool cue racks that hang on the wall

Not like gun racks! But maybe I should make on for some clubs that we do not use.
    The wood is Ipe.
    Very hard and extremely heavy. Beautiful up close but hard on the tools. Next time it will be made in wood that is less hard.
    We are not home this week so this is the best photos I got on my computer.

The driver to the far end is a home made 'Momentus driver'.
    Just a crappy womens driver with a length of 3/8 steel rod taped to it.
    Got the idea from ZMax. Great workout even after just a few days you will see increased swing speed!
    Sim5.jpgGolf_rack.jpg

7 Iron Deverx is on a distinguished road
    Looks awesome, thanks for posting.

I agree, very cool. Tnx

It is real practical if you have people over playing. the clubs goes back to the same place every time.
    With a bag and several people it gets a mess real fast.

Hey Sy., how bout giving us some basic plans so we can make our own.?

70jr
    just got the mat today i will hit on it and let you know if it is any good.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Let us know what you think.

70jr
    i will try to see if i can tonight. i am stuck at work right now.

70jr
    played around with the mat last night and i have to tell you i really liked placing the tee in the mat and bonus I was getting 2-3mph ball speed increase over the rubber tee. I still have to play around with it more but so far it is better than the commercial mat I got at golfsmith.

Gap Wedge jrdann11 is on a distinguished road
    Ordered the left handed sensor cutout stance mat from http://golfsimulatorguys.com/ I've traded emails with Bret over the past few months and he thinks he fixed the issues I experienced earlier. Will post pics and a review in a week or two.

Gap Wedge jrdann11 is on a distinguished road

golf simulator guys sensor cutout mat for optishot

still have issues with the turf ripping. Pics are from after one swing. Bret is going to work on this and get a new mat out to me right away. Believe they are going to reinforce their mats with more adhesive. They did do a pretty good job with some innovative ideas for covering the font censor. You can see it in one pic where they have a flap cut that attaches via Velcro to the end of the DD. This eliminated the initial problem I had with the turf tearing due to hitting down through the impact zone.
    Attached Images

Thats ridiculous. Its nice that they are warrantying their products, but it seems to me more trouble than it's worth. I think there are several better if not more economical options out there.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Building a hitting mat for my new ProTee. I have to move it after playing as it is in a one car garage. I am thinking of glueing a half inch piece of plywood to styrofoam. This way it will be light and easy to move versus a total wood base. Has anyone used styrofoam and if so, how does it hold up?

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road

re styrofoam base for hitting mat

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Building a hitting mat for my new ProTee. I have to move it after playing as it is in a one car garage. I am thinking of glueing a half inch piece of plywood to styrofoam. This way it will be light and easy to move versus a total wood base. Has anyone used styrofoam and if so, how does it hold up?
    For what it is worth, sort of related but not. My home is a sip panel home with a flat rooftop deck that is also the sip panels ( when the county building dep't saw the plans, their comment was that a helicopter could land on it and the beams underneath are spaced 11 ft apart). Sip panels are primarily styrofoam some laminated with osb -- a wood pulp strand board on each side but mine happen to be galvanized sheet metal on each side. as long as there is protection around the styrofoam, the strength is incredible (home is rated for 150 mph winds here in FL ) my suggestion would be to use a thin skin of plywood either 1/4" on each side or possibly even go down to hollow core door skins. Glued with contact cement to the foam it will be light and should hold up very well.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Thanks, jagmanjoe. It sounds like a plan. Never thought about plywood on both sides making a sandwich.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Seems like a good idea psace.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    Looking at upgrading my mat when the gc2 arrives. in an ideal world would like to get the most realistic hitting surface for both fairway and rough.

Looking at truestrike but would have to move the gc2 if i wanted to get a rough surface also which i do. Curious if anyone has any feedback on the fiberbuilt surfaces?

fiberbuilt said I can get on a single hitting mat with 1ft x 1ft inserts for fairway/tee, rough, and sand. never hit off this type of surface. for the fairway looks like it seems you can hit down and through but not sure if the material provides any resistance.

Anyone have a good setup with simulated rough?

any feedback is appreciated.

thanks.

looking at two related threads GC2 and hitting mats. Looking for feedback from gc2 users what hitting mat they are using. Mine is 4x6 1.5" thick it and shifts slightly when I hit irons. Need to replace with something heavier. What are you currently using?

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I have adhered 2 strips of 3" wide x 42" long Velcro hook material to the bottom of my P3ProSwing mat. I used an adhesive that is made for rebonding the soles of shoes. I adhered the hook velcro piece onto the rubber backing of the mat. This provides enough friction that the mat does not move when it is in contact with the indoor/outdoor carpeting that has been laid to the concrete surface of my garage floor within the hitting bay.

If your mat is bearing directly on concrete, then 2 sided carpet tape will help to secure it. Two lengths of a 2"x 4" wood stud, (1 in front, 1 in back), that are TapCon'd into the concrete will definitely fully secure the mat in place. You can paint them green, or upholster them in green indoor/outdoor carpeting to really finish them off well.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

@fhann

Great idea. i like it since i still want to move the hitting mat when i roll the couch over to watch movies. forgive the stupid question since i am not mr. handy. where do you get the 3" x 42" velcro strips? can i get them at any sears hardware store or order online?

where can i order the rebonding adhesive from?

my mat is on carpet and even weighting the back down after several irons it shifts slightly which eventually causes me to resync back up with the gc2.

thanks again. very helpful.

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    @TheGolfer

I got my velcro strips at my local Home Hardware along with the adhesive. Check your local hardware stores, the items are pretty commonly stocked.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

appreciate the tips, thanks.

Putter Golfnutz99 is on a distinguished road

Turf tearing

You may want to look at the turf at www.golfnutz.ca/turf. Nice to hit off, and it won't tear, even on serious mis.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdann11 View Post
    still have issues with the turf ripping. Pics are from after one swing. Bret is going to work on this and get a new mat out to me right away. Believe they are going to reinforce their mats with more adhesive. They did do a pretty good job with some innovative ideas for covering the font censor. You can see it in one pic where they have a flap cut that attaches via Velcro to the end of the DD. This eliminated the initial problem I had with the turf tearing due to hitting down through the impact zone.

hitting mat should try and get there hands on a Derone mat.
    www.derone.com. I have recently been taking some lessons at an indoor range and thats what they use. These are the softest most forgiving mats that I have ever stepped on or hit off of. The specific mat is called the Champions Tour. You can take a divot on this thing and it is buttery! Cost is $330.00

4 Iron madspeed is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdann11 View Post
    Do you have a link to where you purchased the mat from? I only need a mat to finish my setup and I think this would work nice. Your setup looks very VERY nice BTW!

JRDAN...I have access to those 3m Nomad mats through my workplace. If you haven't found it yet, drop me a PM...

7 Iron janton79 is on a distinguished road
    Can anyone recommend a company/website that does custom sized hitting mats? I am building a 5 foot x 10 foot platform and would like to cover the entire top. I was thinking of getting two 4x5 mats and two 1x2 mats (and then the GSA PX2 and a fiberbuilt insert in the middle).

Also, if I can't find a 5 x 10 mat, do any of these companies sell mats WITHOUT the tee holes cut out? I've tried calling the phone number on the Durapro website but no one picks up (tried calling 5 times).

Thread Information