+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hitting mats

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road

Hitting mats

Hey Guys, Anybody know of a good way to secure a hitting mat to particle board. My hitting mat is a 4x5ft Durapro which i'm very fond of. I would like to secure it to a piece of 1/2" particle board. First I thought glue, but maybe too messy. Then I thought small screw through the top of mat and into wood. The grass on the mat is pretty nappy so I'm not sure the screw heads would be hidden. What do you all think?
    Thanks in advance.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I would use double sided carpet tape.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Anybody have any suggestions for a good commercial mat for dd?

7 Iron Deverx is on a distinguished road
    You can get one made for the dd on ebay for $159.99 delivered. I just ordered a different one off of there, it is a S45 that I think I can cut a slot out of to fit the dd. Should be here in a couple of days will let you know how it is when I get it. Of course I have put the cart before the horse, haven't even got the dd yet.

I bought a Dura pro commercial mat. from Ebay cuz it looked closest to the ones that DD sells at a cheaper cost. I did have to buy something else to raise it another half inch. I used a sheet of wall insulation. I am going to change it to particle board though cuz I want a stiff foundation so I can set it up and out of the way on occasion. I am extremely satified with it. Check out the specs on EBay.
    p.s I am still trying to figure the best way to secure mat to board. (rubber foam to wood) hmm....

Thanks guys. I have a homemade mat but it isn't holding up well after a year of use. I am looking for a good solid mat for a descent price. I wonder about the mats dd have and the cdg mat. I don't wish to add another layer to get the right height for the sim pad, however. I am thinking of the cdg mat with the putting mat and the turf that covers both sensors (that's right Cory). But I will have to wait to see what turf dd is coming out with. The versa mat is also very intriguing. As far as a simulator is concerned, nothing has moved me yet. The jump from $400 to $6000 simulators does not currently impress me. Buying a simulator with promises of things to come I have heard far too often.

Taho, I would like at the construction adhesives. There must be one for foam to plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Thanks guys. I have a homemade mat but it isn't holding up well after a year of use. I am looking for a good solid mat for a descent price. I wonder about the mats dd have and the cdg mat. I don't wish to add another layer to get the right height for the sim pad, however. I am thinking of the cdg mat with the putting mat and the turf that covers both sensors (that's right Cory). But I will have to wait to see what turf dd is coming out with. The versa mat is also very intriguing. As far as a simulator is concerned, nothing has moved me yet. The jump from $400 to $6000 simulators does not currently impress me. Buying a simulator with promises of things to come I have heard far too often.

Taho, I would like at the construction adhesives. There must be one for foam to plywood.
    Well it comes down to what one can afford. the Protee launch angle is almost ready and I have been testing for the past few weeks. I am extremely happy with the development thus far. It is awesome. Having the ball and launch angle measurement is impressive for me. GSA has options that are good as well. The jump in price is not insignificant I agree but seeing your true ball trajectory is worth the extra dough for me for sure. The promise by Protee is happening as we speak.

Hope it works out for you in the end, Bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Hope it works out for you in the end, Bubba.
    Thanls Psace. I am extremely happy with the Protee. For those considering and upgrade it is well worth it.

Tahosrfr how is the mat work going? I have a p3pro mat that is secured to mdf as my raised platform and I am using double sided carpet tape. It works great. Try it. Let us know how you do.

Well I bought some carpet tape and I was going to take it back and try something messier like a glue adhesive. That is until I just read your post. I will try it tonight. I'm just thinking that the carpet tape won't hold the thick foam mat when I have to lift it up and set it out of the way on occasion. (movie night) The mat is almost 2inches thick and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by tahosrfr View Post
    Well I bought some carpet tape and I was going to take it back and try something messier like a glue adhesive. That is until I just read your post. I will try it tonight. I'm just thinking that the carpet tape won't hold the thick foam mat when I have to lift it up and set it out of the way on occasion. (movie night) The mat is almost 2inches thick and heavy.
    Most mats are that thick. Try the carpet tape, I think it will work.

blackfire
    I aleready did tape 7 layers off garage rubber carpet together with carpet tape and now my carpet is taped on my presswood and it works good.

I used the carpet tape tonight. It seems that it worked perfectly. Thanks for the convincing!

Lob Wedge navik is on a distinguished road
    Anyone tried the mats from www.allturfmats.com before? I'm thinking of getting their Tuff Tee mats. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tahosrfr View Post
    I used the carpet tape tonight. It seems that it worked perfectly. Thanks for the convincing!
    Your welcome tahosrfr. It should work well for you. Enjoy.

70jr
    well i do not have my sim set up yet, i picked it up from foresight and drove home to drop it off and then drove to scottsdale and played some great golf. Speaking of fiberbuilt mats do you think that is more realistic to natural grass? I am still trying to get a projector that fits my specs but i have not had luck yet. Glad to hear your sim is really working out for you. hope you can get out of the snow soon. i am trying to get everything set up in two weeks, the last missing links are the hitting surface and the projector.

Gap Wedge Steveh is on a distinguished road
    My Fiberbuilt mat is really good to hit off and is the same type of mat that a lot of commercial ranges use. I bought it about 18mths ago and that was all I had for winter practice along with a net (which was a little boring and no feedback as to what I was doing). This winter I decided to get a sim so I would have some feedback to try and improve but I can only use the Fiberbuilt as a warm up as the sim has it's own grass top. They are both better than not having anything to hit off ! I think it would be tough to have turf like the Fiberbuilt on the sim as the moving fibres would be triggering the sensors. I still use the Fiberbuilt mat so I can practice with my 60 wedge, just don't get any feedback other than where it hits the screen. It's all good.

70jr
    i am asking because i just got the gc2 and unlike your situation there is not anything that would trigger the readings. i just want to know what the most realistic hitting surface out there is. thanks.

70jr
    i will let you know what i find out after the first 3 weeks of practice.

blackfire

70jr
    does anyone have any knowledge of the mat above? I have a mat already but I am trying to find out what is the most realistic mat is on the market right now. Bubba and Z like the fiberbuild mat and it looks like a great mat but to get the best out of the simulator it all starts with the hitting surface. So the question is has anyone used the mat above and what is the most realistic hitting mat on the market?

blackfire
    I did tryed it and liked it. I sold it to a friend cause I got the protee and do not need it anymore but my friend realy likes it as well. More realistic then fiberbuilt.

I had it because I was going for the GC2 at first but budget is what it is I changed for the protee.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I have that mat. I paid $300 for a 3X5. You might be able to see it in one of the pics that I posted recently in the GGS thread. It gives a great feel with irons but it's a little mushy to stand on. You can always use a different mat to stand on. The PX2 would be even better if the tee area had that mat in it. I like how you can just stick any tee in it. In fact, I've been thinking about modifying the PX's tee area with a small portion of that mat.

70jr
    thank you blackfire, that sounds great. I think the hitting surface is the second most important purchase next to the sim. I had the fiber at the top of my list because I know that z and bubba love it so much. I just want to make the right decision on this so I am taking a little longer to pull the trigger on this. I already have a hitting mat but I want the best for this project. Anyone else know of a better mat?

70jr
    thanks z i posted right after you. that sounds great

blackfire
    your right Z I was also thinking about changing the surface of the protee with is the same as the PX2 as aI had bolt for that mat but I'm under waranty for too years so I'll keep this one for now. I agree about standing on kind of not verry cool but I had the 20"X36" for 114$ tax and shipping include to canada and was standing on an home made mat. Was perfect.

To anwser 70 there's an other one wich is the one used in the about golf system that is verry similar to this one but probably more expensive at it's much heavier and maybe and it a maybe more durable but to have hit from bolt I can't tell the difference.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I have a mat that is very affordable think I payed about $60 in US/ Canada is should be cheaper!
    Noticed the entrance mats in shops all had the same types some very large and with names printed on them. They all looked good even those by the entrances to busy shopping malls. And they are very comfortable to stand on.
    I stand on it with bare feet and have very good traction.

It is now extended with a longer putting strip!

It is not comfortable to hit down on as the clubs bounces but is does protect the clubs and floor very well from out of control swings.
    Sim3.jpgCloseUP.jpg

Gap Wedge jrdann11 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    I have a mat that is very affordable think I payed about $60 in US/ Canada is should be cheaper!
    Noticed the entrance mats in shops all had the same types some very large and with names printed on them. They all looked good even those by the entrances to busy shopping malls. And they are very comfortable to stand on.
    I stand on it with bare feet and have very good traction.

It is now extended with a longer putting strip!

It is not comfortable to hit down on as the clubs bounces but is does protect the clubs and floor very well from out of control swings.
    Attachment 27392Attachment 27393
    Do you have a link to where you purchased the mat from? I only need a mat to finish my setup and I think this would work nice. Your setup looks very VERY nice BTW!

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I live in the Santa Catarina, Brazil. Bought it in a local shop.
    As I wrote it is a door mat material. Sold by the length. The roll is 4 feet wide.

70jr
    Your setup looks very VERY nice BTW
    I agree

Thread Information