CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Masters student looking for summer work or government coop. DFAIT? CIDA?

I'm in the first year of a Masters in International Affairs at Carleton (NPSIA), and ideally looking for a government coop position for the summer. Haven't had much luck through Carleton's program, so I'm trying to set something up myself. I'd love to get something in DFAIT or CIDA. My focus is on conflict analysis and conflict resolution, but I'm also really interested in bargaining and negotiation theory. I'm a hard worker, great researcher, and have a keen analytical mind. I could adapt to pretty much any position, even if I don't have subject matter expertise. If anyone knows anyone in government who might be looking for someone, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

Jon
    Last edited by jonf; 03-26-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Obviously I'm happy to provide more detailed information to anyone who might have a lead. And, for that matter, I'm happy to look at something outside of government too.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    You might try this web site. http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/index-eng.htm. It is very difficult to get any type of job in the public service now without going through "official channels. Good luck.

You're right. It's a bit of a pain. Unfortunately most of the stuff posted on that website is more long term - and the hiring processes take months. Casual contracts seem to be hard to come by, and most seem to be given out through employment agencies, which slice massive amounts off the top and pay you a tiny wage. There seems to be a lot less red tape regarding coop positions, provided that you can find someone who needs a student, and has some money in their budget. Fingers crossed.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Lightbulb Looking for (government) work?

While my hiring experience is somewhat outdated (2005) I don't think things have changed that much, other than they might be little tighter now with the economy. The days of bringing in a friend or relative to the work site is rare as the unions are really alert to the bypassing of the "process". Again my experience is the coop thing usually gets underway at the end of the first (fall) semester and is well in place by the end of the second (winter) one. You mention agencies. While they do cut a big chunk off the top, you have to consider what it is you are trying to achieve. Make money to pay off student loans? Or, gaining valuable work experience and Resume info, for your eventual dream job. May be better to get the experience now and pick up the pay later. Virtually ALL of my hires (between 2003-2005) were from an agency. Also my daughter started with an agency and took that on to a good job at CBSA. Good luck, but don't turn anything down. Also, you are probably aware of the lengthy backlog with security clearances. If you have one good, if not then you will wait, if you want government work. Employment with an agency will help you get this, although I don't know that they have any way to speed up the process. One other thought, may be off the wall, but with the election, there are always candidates looking for help. Not sure door-to-door will help much but doing grunt work in the office. Great way to meet people and make contacts. Again not much money in it, but if you are in this for the long haul may be something to think about. My sister-in-law started this way and parlayed it into an eight year government job.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 03-29-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add info.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I'm in the first year of a Masters in International Affairs at Carleton (NPSIA), and ideally looking for a government coop position for the summer. Haven't had much luck through Carleton's program, so I'm trying to set something up myself. I'd love to get something in DFAIT or CIDA. My focus is on conflict analysis and conflict resolution, but I'm also really interested in bargaining and negotiation theory. I'm a hard worker, great researcher, and have a keen analytical mind. I could adapt to pretty much any position, even if I don't have subject matter expertise. If anyone knows anyone in government who might be looking for someone, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks,

Jon
    You could also inquire about co-op/student positions at some of the larger unions in town like PSAC, PIPSC and CUPE.

Its very, very tough to get in on the ground level in the government if you're not bilingual, so hopefully you have that going for you.

Thankfully I do have both a security clearance, and am bilingual, so I do have that going for me. I'm holding out hope that, as promised, there will be a flood of coop jobs in the next couple of weeks. I've also gotten back in touch with a few of the staffing agencies I had signed up with before going back to school, so we'll see how that goes.

Bueller?

Okay. I was really reluctant to do this. I didn't want to get my foot in the door for the wrong reasons. But, at this point, I'll try anything. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction, I'll give them a free lesson in how NOT to putt.

I should add that, although I'm mainly looking for summer work, my program is flexible enough that I could potentially continue working in the fall.

Anyone in government, or at an international-oriented NGO interested in taking on a VOLUNTEER???? I have a valid enhanced clearance and an E/E/B in French. Really need to bolster the resume, or I'm never going to get out of this endless cycle of "Oh, I'm sorry, we're looking for someone with experience...but of course, so is everyone, so you're kinda screwed, regardless of how good you WOULD be at this job."

NGO Volunteer?

No promises! Who says persistence doesn't pay off. I have a friend who works for an NGO. She is on contract, having retired from the Federal Public Service. I sent her an e-mail, and a copy of your first post. Will let you know if I hear of anything.

That's great! Thanks! I'll send you a PM with my email address, which you can pass along if she's interested. I'm obviously happy to send along a CV too. Thanks again

Jon

PM sent with contact info. Good luck.

Thread Information