100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: GSA Golf Update

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road

GSA Golf Update

I just heard from Red Chain that they're releasing a new update to Martin that sounds really good. The list of changes are:

* Sidespin slider
    * Fixed a bug in practice affecting club choice
    * Rough penalty slider
    * Bunker penalty slider
    * Added a slider in the game options to tilt the shot camera up and down
    * Added new "Competitions" mode - allowing Nearest the Pin and Longest Drive to be played by an unlimited number of people. Leaderboard keeps track of names and scores
    * An in-game menu option "Change Player" allows the controller to set a new player's name

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Oh yeah!!!

This is the update that I've been waiting for. Thank you Dean and Martin.

And thanks to rdh for sharing.

I'm looking forward to playing with the camera tilt option (to tilt it a bit upwards). I think it is focused a bit too low currently and some of the downhill shots (like Pebble Beach hole 7) would be more dramatic if the horizon was a bit lower.

Some of the other changes are pretty cool too. I'll have to take a look at the rough and bunker penalty features plus the sidespin adjustment....I have those things built into my interface right now, so I'll have to see whether it makes sense to keep them there or drop it from my interface and use what's in the software now.

I wonder if we'll get 2 separate bunker sliders. 1 for fairway bunkers and 1 for green side bunkers. It's not really a big deal because the interface allows for ball speed reduction for LA above a certain reading.

I know what you mean about the camera being tilt a little too low. That's another cool option added.

Did Dean give you a release date?

It's usually more up to Martin on when it gets posted/released. I believe Dean has already sent Martin the files...but whether it's an electronic transfer or courier'ed (which may take a couple days) I don't know. I'll be keeping an eye on Martin's site.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    It's usually more up to Martin on when it gets posted/released. I believe Dean has already sent Martin the files...but whether it's an electronic transfer or courier'ed (which may take a couple days) I don't know. I'll be keeping an eye on Martin's site.
    If the updates don't include new courses, it's probably an electronic transfer. Let's bug Martin.

I'll leave that to you...I think I've bugged Martin and Dean too much over the past year or so!

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    Is that possible? Isn't it the squeaky wheel that gets the grease?

The latest update is now available to download.

Jeez...did you send out hired goons to force Martin to get it posted immediately?

I installed the update, but am having a problem. When in practice mode on a course, I don't seem to have a menu option anymore for "Select Hole" to move to another hole. Let me know if you have the same problem ZMax.

I will try it in about 30 mins.

Ooo...I really like the camera tilt option. I set it to 10 (10 degrees upward) and Pebble Beach hole 7 looks more downhill than it did before. A definite improvement!

Hmm...I don't see the settings for side spin adjustments or lie penalties. Let me know if you find those ZMax.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    This is great guys. Very excited for you guys. Keep us posted.

Hmm...I don't see the settings for side spin adjustments or lie penalties. Let me know if you find those ZMax.
    Penalty adjustments can be found by pressing Ctrl-Shift-L. Side spin, lift, and drag are also there.

As you pointed out, missing is the select hole option while in Practice mode. Somebody made a mistake. Please email Dean about this. No point in telling Martin as he will just forward it to Dean any way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Penalty adjustments can be found by pressing Ctrl-Shift-L. Side spin, lift, and drag are also there.

As you pointed out, missing is the select hole option while in Practice mode. Somebody made a mistake. Please email Dean about this. No point in telling Martin as he will just forward it to Dean any way.

Ya you want thehold select option. Probably just an over sight.

Jeez...did you send out hired goons to force Martin to get it posted immediately?
    Well, you said it was my turn to bug him...

I've been playing with this new update for a little bit now and I love the changes. Aside from the mistake with the practice mode, all the new features work as expected. As you all know, I've been waiting for side spin and penalty adjustments for a while.

The folks at Red Chain did a great job and a big thanks to Martin at GGS.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Well, you said it was my turn to bug him...

I've been playing with this new update for a little bit now and I love the changes. Aside from the mistake with the practice mode, all the new features work as expected. As you all know, I've been waiting for side spin and penalty adjustments for a while.

The folks at Red Chain did a great job and a big thanks to Martin at GGS.
    With the ability to dial in side spin, measure launch and get good club and ball data , I am very confident that you don't need to directly measure spin. The calculations based on all that club and ball data are so close that one will be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    With the ability to dial in side spin, measure launch and get good club and ball data , I am very confident that you don't need to directly measure spin. The calculations based on all that club and ball data are so close that one will be very happy.
    You're absolutely right bubba22. All the adjustments are now available to tweak the ball flight to do what ever you want.

So...once you press Ctrl+Shift+L and set up adjustments/penalties, are those remembered for future rounds/sessions? Or do you have to do that each time you use the software?

I already emailed Dean about the missing option to select a hole for practice.

So...once you press Ctrl+Shift+L and set up adjustments/penalties, are those remembered for future rounds/sessions? Or do you have to do that each time you use the software?

I already emailed Dean about the missing option to select a hole for practice.
    I believe the changes stay. I remember making the changes while in practice mode and they were there when I played a few holes.

I was wrong. The changes do not stay. When you restart GSA, everything goes back to default. Minor oversight by Red Chain.

rdh, please email Red Chain on this also.

Thanks

I just emailed that to Dean.

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    So can one of you guys elaborate on the penalty stuff

how do the bunker penalties work - as Zmax asked - are there different sliders for green side and fairway bunkers?

What about the rough penalty - does the software just apply the penalty specified in the setting to all rough lies? Would be cool if it would just give a percentage based on the kind of rough you are in (first cut, second cut, etc).

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by js1010 View Post
    So can one of you guys elaborate on the penalty stuff

how do the bunker penalties work - as Zmax asked - are there different sliders for green side and fairway bunkers?

What about the rough penalty - does the software just apply the penalty specified in the setting to all rough lies? Would be cool if it would just give a percentage based on the kind of rough you are in (first cut, second cut, etc).

thanks

JS do the GSA updates get to the GC2 users?

They seem to pick and choose what gets in there -

I sent them an email asking about the lastest update and they told me there was an update end of this week with rough penalties but didn't say anything about bunkers or camera tilt stuff so not sure what will be in it.

He did mentioned a green top view mini map has been added.

What I really want to see are distances to bunkers and other hazards off the tee so I don't have to go to the computer all the time to check. Basically looking for the kind of information a sky caddie would give on each shot.

They seem to pick and choose what gets in there -

I sent them an email asking about the lastest update and they told me there was an update end of this week with rough penalties but didn't say anything about bunkers or camera tilt stuff so not sure what will be in it.

He did mentioned a green top view mini map has been added.

What I really want to see are distances to bunkers and other hazards off the tee so I don't have to go to the computer all the time to check. Basically looking for the kind of information a sky caddie would give on each shot.
    That would be a simple addition and really is a great idea. Not sure if the distances are in this update.

Yes, I would think adding distances by default to the min map to all important spots in play on each shot would be great addition.

Off the Tee - would be great to see distance to the aiming circle any bunkers or hazards, end of fairways, etc.

Second Shot - distances to front, back, center of green and any bunkers around the green that might be cool as well.

Second Shot Par 5 - layup yardages and any hazards , bunkers between you and the hole.

Yes, I would think adding distances by default to the min map to all important spots in play on each shot would be great addition.

Off the Tee - would be great to see distance to the aiming circle any bunkers or hazards, end of fairways, etc.

Second Shot - distances to front, back, center of green and any bunkers around the green that might be cool as well.

Second Shot Par 5 - layup yardages and any hazards , bunkers between you and the hole.
    These are all good suggestions. Perhaps one should send an email to Dean at Red Chain requesting this.

Thread Information