CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs up Cooke - Gone for 10 + first round...

Is this enough? Good debate on the Team 1200 this AM. Does he deserve it? More? Less? Scape goat? What if he had been ... a big name? Is there preferential treatment for stars? Interesting to see if Mario and Shero support this or cry foul. Will will the NHLPA grieve it?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Is this enough? Good debate on the Team 1200 this AM. Does he deserve it? More? Less? Scape goat? What if he had been ... a big name? Is there preferential treatment for stars? Interesting to see if Mario and Shero support this or cry foul. Will will the NHLPA grieve it?
    I'm ok with the length of suspension.

Will the NHLPA grieve it? I can't remember the last time that happened, if ever. So, no.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I was watching the game. The hit was brutal. A flying elbow to the head of a defenceless person. The target was the head, that was clear. The suspension should have been X games, not 10 plus first round.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Why does one have to be a repeat offender before a significant suspension is handed out?

For such an act, nail an ANY time offender with a 20+ game suspension and the acts will stop.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

Weatherman is more accurate.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I think the suspension comes up a bit short. It should have been the rest of the season, period. As far as Mario and Shero are concerned, I'll lay money that Cooke has played his last game in a Pens uniform if they get knocked out in the first round.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Gimme a break nokids. People are whining about suspensions these days just for the sake of whining. I think this is just about what everyone expected in terms of a punishment. People are going to complain and crack jokes about the nhl's disciplinary decision making because it's the thing to do, but the fact is, this was a rational, logical, well reasoned suspension, consistent with the NHL's previous statements and suspensions on such hits.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Not so sure on that - better to have him playing for you than risk having him do that to your own players. I wonder if he has a no movement clause. If not, I sure wouldn't be surprised to have them send him to the minors.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    finally someone at the NHL's head office strapped on a pair. Seeing as Heatley just got 2 games for something that could be categorized as similar, I hope this sends a msg to the rest of the league. since playoff games usually count for double in terms of punishment, this could be a 24 game suspension if it goes the full 7.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Cooke is one of those few players responsible for this reckless, no respect type of hockey we see now. He is a several time repeat offender. Good on the NHL to get this clown out of the game. Hopefully when he returns he will have learned the league can no longer afford this type of dangerous play. I don't think he will learn anything from this though, he seems to know only one way to play. Under the new rules head shots are more or less reviewed and suspensions handed out. Clean hits with an accidental head shot, or intentional head shots both deserve some type of disipline. Whether two minutes for roughing or games suspended thats up to the brass to decide. This elbow by Cooke was a deliberate attempt to injure. There is no grey area. He wanted to injure the other player period. This is exactly what is making the NHL look bush league. Its got to stop. I think 10 games and first round is fair. What does he get the next time he does it?
    "Get your smile on!"

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    My understanding is that he has had at least 5 other noteworthy incidents. At the rate he is going, I would think that another act of brutality and he should be gone for the season. Why? Because he doesn't seem to get it, and even the players (and some of his teammates) appear to be getting sick of it.

His apology yesterday may be sincere, but I have my doubts. He claims that it was not his intention to hurt anyone. It was a mistake. Given his past conduct, I guess one should conclude that his body, including his elbow, has a mind of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    ... He wanted to injure the other player period. This is exactly what is making the NHL look bush league. Its got to stop. I think 10 games and first round is fair. What does he get the next time he does it?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    I like Ken Daneyko's suggestion, now an analyst for MSG Network: "The NHL should declare an open season for one week on Cooke and you won't get suspended. Then we'll see if he'll continue dishing out cheap hits". Amen.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by rfarinas View Post
    I like Ken Daneyko's suggestion, now an analyst for MSG Network: "The NHL should declare an open season for one week on Cooke and you won't get suspended. Then we'll see if he'll continue dishing out cheap hits". Amen.
    I think Ken has taken too many shots to the head himself. What a stupid suggestion.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    Yeah....and I heard the NHL was seriously considering it.....

Thread Information