CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wboudrea View Post
    The match of wboudrea vs. Simonlap took place yesterday at Mont Cascades. I played out of my mind (for me) and shot an 85 improving on my personal best by 3 and my best for the year by a whopping 12. I won the match 7 & 6 but I felt for Simon having to give me so many strokes and not playing to his potential (by his own admission). He won some holes coming home as I gave a bit back and he played the way he can.
    Simon it was a blast and I would love to get out again with you some time this summer.
    congrats Sir, get ready to play a tough track.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I'm gonna have to drop out of the singles match play as I can not make any time this weekend for a match.
    Good luck in the next round Jordan.
    Even I've never heard of me

3 Iron Gray1512 is on a distinguished road
    Gray1512 beat latch one up at the Meadows (N and S off the blues) in a match that neither of us will remember for great play. However, it was good fun and my nerves finally held on the 18th green and Neil gave me an 18 inch put I was dreading. Good game and I look forward to playing with you again. Thanks Neil.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'll let Adam pipe up but he needs to bow out of the first round so this guy gets into the 2nd on a freebie!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Whoops, he already did!

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    GoingLow played BogeyGolf today at Equinelle.......LeftyLucas joined us and we had a great day. I almost missed the Tee time, flustered and rushing, I called a penalty on myself on the first hole ( brought 2 clubs into the bunker and dropped one of them after deciding, bad habits die hard). After a see saw battle early I played solid and was 3 up at 9. BogeyGolf came back to just one down, but the deficit was to much and I held on. Great day and Luc and Craig are great guys, class acts, everyone hit some good shots and some bad, and there were plenty of laughs..... The group in front of us was 2 couples, on 16 one of the lady's made a 1.....pretty cool....

Thanks for the match Craig look forward to playing with you again.

TO

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Congrats Terry! But isn't it legal to drop a club in the bunker? I'm pretty sure you can take the rake with you and drop it in the sand as long as you don't hold it when it hits the sand, so why not a club?

Gray, congrats on your win! Looks like I'm going to get a chance to avenge my loss to you two years ago, excellent (insert Mr.Burns impression here).

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    You're not allowed testing the condition of the hazard, so the question is, was he testing it? If it was by accident then I don't think you had to take a penalty.

It's a penalty, if I fell accidentally, or dropped club by accident it is not a penalty. But in this case it's a penalty......

Unfortunatelt knowing the rules can cost you strokes....its a bad habit, I do it alot......I should just throw the other club at the golf bag in rough, God knows I helicopter a few clubs anyways......

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Well I'm no rules official, but isn't what GoingLow did considered "placing the club in the hazard", see the exception b) below:

13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions

Except as provided in the Rules, before making a stroke at a ball that is in a hazard (whether a bunker or a water hazard) or that, having been lifted from a hazard, may be dropped or placed in the hazard, the player must not:
    a. Test the condition of the hazard or any similar hazard;
    b. Touch the ground in the hazard or water in the water hazard with his hand or a club; or
    c. Touch or move a loose impediment lying in or touching the hazard.

Exceptions:
    1. Provided nothing is done that constitutes testing the condition of the hazard or improves the lie of the ball, there is no penalty if the player (a) touches the ground or loose impediments in any hazard or water in a water hazard as a result of or to prevent falling, in removing an obstruction, in measuring or in marking the position of, retrieving, lifting, placing or replacing a ball under any Rule or
    (b) places his clubs in a hazard.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Ahh there's the problem. He said he didn't place it, he dropped it

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Thanks Terry for a great round of golf today with Luc. I have to say that Terry certainly has game, he was solid for most of the round. It was a lot of fun out there today,like you said, many laughs, good shots, bad shots, such is the game of golf. I must say it was cool the see and hear the lady when she aced the 16th hole at eQuinelle. Good luck in the next round. We have to get out for another game, and we will bring Nokids with us next time.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules...n-13/#13-4/0.5

13-4/0.5 Meaning of "Test the Condition of the Hazard" in Rule 13-4a

Q. What is meant by "test the condition of the hazard" in Rule 13-4a?

A. The term covers all actions by which the player could gain more information about the hazard than could be gained from taking his stance for the stroke to be made, bearing in mind that a certain amount of digging in with the feet in the sand or soil is permitted when taking the stance for a stroke.

Examples of actions that would not constitute testing the condition of the hazard include the following:

• digging in with the feet for a stance, including for a practice swing, anywhere in the hazard or in a similar hazard;

placing an object, such as clubs or a rake, in the hazard;

• leaning on an object (other than a club) such as a rake while it is touching the ground in the hazard or water in a water hazard;

• touching the hazard with an object (other than a club) such as a towel (touching with a club would be a breach of Rule 13-4b); or

• marking the position of the ball with a tee or otherwise when proceeding under a Rule.

Examples of actions that would constitute testing the condition of the hazard in breach of Rule 13-4a include the following:

• digging in with the feet in excess of what would be done for a stance for a stroke or a practice swing;

• filling in footprints from a previous stance (e.g., when changing stance to make a different type of stroke);

• intentionally sticking an object, such as a rake, into sand or soil in the hazard or water in a water hazard (but see Rule 12-1);

• smoothing a bunker with a rake, a club or otherwise (but see Exception 2 to Rule 13-4);

• kicking the ground in the hazard or water in a water hazard; or

touching the sand with a club when making a practice swing
    in the hazard or in a similar hazard (but see Exception 3 to
    Rule 13-4).

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    A moot point seeing that he called himself and conceded the hole but from what I know if he says he did not place the club then its likely a penalty. Especially if the club strikes the sand.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

It's a moot point as far as the match is concerned, sure, but it's still interesting to know the right answer for the next time this happens. I, for one, routinely take a rake with me as I go into a bunker and drop it next to me so I don't have to go back for it after the shot. According to you, that would be a penalty as well?

As I understand it, if the club, or a rake, is casually dropped, there's no penalty. If the club touches the sand with him still holding it, or if he watches intently as it drops trying to get some information out of it, then it's a penalty.

Maybe one of our resident rules gurus could chime in on this...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No penalty. It's a good idea to look at the decisions to see if the situation in question has beed covered.

13-4/21 Rake Thrown into Bunker Before Stroke
    Q. A player's ball lies in a bunker. He casually throws a rake into the bunker for use after his stroke. The rake does not move his ball or improve the lie of the ball. Does the player incur a penalty?
    A. No. Placing a rake in a bunker is permissible. In this case, throwing the rake into the bunker was the equivalent of placing it.
    If the rake had moved the ball, the player would incur a penalty of one stroke for causing his ball to move; and the ball would have to be replaced — Rule 18-2a.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    or if he watches intently as it drops trying to get some information out of it, then it's a penalty.
    that's funny. but if he doesn't watch it it's not a penalty lol.

I've always wondered if it's a penalty if I drop my ball on the green after marking it. I'll do a search...

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I've always wondered if it's a penalty if I drop my ball on the green after marking it. I'll do a search...
    Only if your marker moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Only if your marker moves.
    Cool.

No penalty. It's a good idea to look at the decisions to see if the situation in question has beed covered.

Q. A player's ball lies in a bunker. He casually throws a rake into the bunker for use after his stroke. The rake does not move his ball or improve the lie of the ball. Does the player incur a penalty?
    A. No. Placing a rake in a bunker is permissible. In this case, throwing the rake into the bunker was the equivalent of placing it.
    If the rake had moved the ball, the player would incur a penalty of one stroke for causing his ball to move; and the ball would have to be replaced — Rule 18-2a.
    So, would throwing a club in the same manner would be ok as well then?

I believe it would.

Great. Thanks for your input Dan.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Hearzy - you PM inbox is full.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    Hearzy versus retread May 14th 12:35 at Nation.

My H\C is 14.5, Hearzy have you calculated yours?

It is going to be a damp weekend.

Bye.
    retread.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Hearzy versus retread May 14th 12:35 at Nation.

My H\C is 14.5, Hearzy have you calculated yours?

It is going to be a damp weekend.

Bye.
    retread.

May 14th, 12:35, sounds familiar... i guess it's a double match, looking forward to meeting everyone!!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    May 14th, 12:35, sounds familiar... i guess it's a double match, looking forward to meeting everyone!!
    lol

It wasn't a rake..........still thinks its a penalty....

I don't know who this Linda person is, but this is her interpretation:

http://lindamillergolf.blogspot.com/...in-bunker.html

Ask Linda #154-Throwing club in bunker

Dear Linda,
    A player is in the bunker, hits the shot poorly and the ball stays in the trap. He then throws the club down into the trap in anger. Since the ball is still in the bunker, is this a penalty for grounding his club?
    Lulu

Dear Lulu,

This is not a penalty as long as the lie of the ball is not improved. It falls under the exception that allows a player to place his clubs in a hazard [Rule 13-4. Exception 1b].

Linda

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Enough already...move it to the rules thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I don't know who this Linda person is, but this is her interpretation:

http://lindamillergolf.blogspot.com/...in-bunker.html

Ask Linda #154-Throwing club in bunker

Dear Linda,
    A player is in the bunker, hits the shot poorly and the ball stays in the trap. He then throws the club down into the trap in anger. Since the ball is still in the bunker, is this a penalty for grounding his club?
    Lulu

Dear Lulu,

This is not a penalty as long as the lie of the ball is not improved. It falls under the exception that allows a player to place his clubs in a hazard [Rule 13-4. Exception 1b].

Linda
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Thread Information