100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Iron MikeL is on a distinguished road MikeL's Avatar

Cracked Driver Head

I have a cracked FT-5 driver head, and was wonderring what can I do with it. It has a Blue Board shaft that I like, and don't feel like throwing it away. This is the original shaft when it was originaly purchased.

If I buy another driver head, are there specific heads that I should consider? Where can I buy driver heads? Is it expensive to get a driver head removed, and replaced?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy a new driver, new driver head, or just try to sell the shaft?

Thanks,
    Mike

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Have you tried to call Callaway Golf Customer service? They are great to deal with, they may ask you to send it to them to see if they can repair it. Who knows, you may get a free upgrade out of it.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Have you tried to call Callaway Golf Customer service? They are great to deal with, they may ask you to send it to them to see if they can repair it. Who knows, you may get a free upgrade out of it.
    I had an FT-9 which I bought off ebay, cracked the head, brought it to Golftown and they (Callaway) gave me a new Diablo driver. Callaway = great customer service!

So I called Callaway yesterday; they told me to bring it to Golftown. Brought it there yesterday, and should hear back from them next week.

I just thought well the club is like 4-5 years old, they won't do anything about it - worth a try. Thanks for the advice guys!

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I took a Callaway Big Bertha 454 driver in to Chuck Browns because their was something rattling around in the head. It was 3 years old. Callaway sent me a new X460 driver. Customer service at Callaway is outstanding.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Got a call back from Golftown today - they spoke with Callaway and since the club was no longer on warranty, they couldn't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Got a call back from Golftown today - they spoke with Callaway and since the club was no longer on warranty, they couldn't do anything about it.
    That is too bad. You could buy a new driver head at Golfworks or look for one on the forum sales board.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    The Ft5 has a .350 hosel bore. I can pull the shaft out for you. Pm if interested.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Lob Wedge eagleput is on a distinguished road

Post cracked driver head

You have several options first you have to accept the head is fatally wounded
    you could get Callaway to put a new head on for you but get a cost estimate from them it will be expensive as there will be shipping .
    As you really like the shaft you should save it .its pretty simple for qualified clubmaker to pull it out without any damage,
    so what do you replace the head with?
    you could try to find a used FT5 head or a complete club that someone has replaced with something sexier.
    You could try a substitute from a reputable supplier if you like this option I can tell you where to go .
    eagleput

Thanks for all the great information guys. I just ended up buying a new driver.

what did you buy???

Went to golftown, spent a few hours hitting different drivers, and found that the Callaway Diablo Edge was the right driver for me. I think the FT-5 tour was too much club for me. I only had the club for one summer and was just getting used to the club at the end of last season.

Lob Wedge eagleput is on a distinguished road
    how does the shaft of your new Diablo compare to your old one?

Pitching Wedge BigDog is on a distinguished road BigDog's Avatar
    That's crazy, my experience with Ping is a different story. Early 2000 I purchased a TiSi driver from 19th tee. I caved the face in on it 2 years later (2002) in the summer. Went to Chuck Brown's and they sent it back to Ping. 3 weeks later they sent me a TiSi Tec (old stock) with the exact same specs as the orginal TiSi that was sent (7* X-Stiff). 3 years after that, in the 2005 pre-season, I noticed a hairline crack in one of the grooves low on the face towards the toe of the club. I figured I'd be out of luck this time, but went into Golftown just to see. The sales rep took a look at it and said he'd see what he could do. 3 weeks later again, I get a call from Golftown saying that my new driver was ready for pick up. I went in expecting to get some dead stock driver (another TiSi Tec or one of those terrible Si3 drivers they came out with just before the G2). When I got there, the rep tells me to hold on a sec and then produces a brand spaking new G5 and again, with the nearly same specs as the driver that was sent (7.5*X-Stiff). Even better yet, this club looks like it was tuned at the WRX dept. as the club sits dead square and while it came with a stock TFC shaft in X-stiff, it was a decent shaft. Bottom line, when it comes to drivers, Ping will always get first dibs on my consumer dollar.
    Few things in life help you find sanity in the process of losing it. Golf is one of them.

I just cracked my new FT Tour Driver.
    The proshop will send it to Callaway and I'll update what Callaway will do for me.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I just cracked my new FT Tour Driver.
    The proshop will send it to Callaway and I'll update what Callaway will do for me.
    Maybe if you stopped hitting it so damn hard, sheesh!

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    I was never a fan of Callaway products to begin with, but I am truly amazed at how many Callaway driver heads are cracking. Seems like every week somebody on here (or Phil Mickelson) cracks the head. Truly bizarre.

2nd callaway head that I've cracked in 2 years. FT9, now FT Tour.

Albatross freddyottawa is on a distinguished road freddyottawa's Avatar
    I'm 99% certain I have cracked my FT9 today also. I can't actually see a crack, but their was a weird popping sound. on the sole of the driver , the metal that connects to the face on the underside (if that makes sense) is peeled backwards in a couple of places. I hit one more shot with it and it sounded weird, and went about 100 yards less than it would normally. I did hear something rattling around in the head though I don't hear it anymore. I'll be taking her in to GT tomorrow to see what they can do for me. I've been hitting this driver really well so far this year so i'm hoping I can get another one, though i'm not sure GT carry the FT9 anymore.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar
    My brother cracked his Rapture head ( 1 st version) and Golftown got him from Ping a brand new G15 to replace it.

Nice!
    Chip

Ft9

I have played Callaway for years and I really wanted to buy an FT9 driver, but now I think I will look elsewhere for a new driver.

So I took it in to GT this morning and they are shipping it back to Callaway and was told to expect some sort of answer in 2-3 weeks.

NoKids, did you hear anything back in regards to the driver you sent back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by freddyottawa View Post
    So I took it in to GT this morning and they are shipping it back to Callaway and was told to expect some sort of answer in 2-3 weeks.

NoKids, did you hear anything back in regards to the driver you sent back yet?
    Nothing yet, but I was told I should hear some news this week. Last year Callaway replaced my FT-9 with a Diablo Edge because they had no more FT-9 in stock. I didn't like the Diablo that much. Not sure what you will get if you're still under their warranty. FT-9, Razr, FT Tour, Diablo?

Pro shop received a box from Callaway this morning, they said it's a new FT Tour for me!

sweet deal, i'm hoping to at least get what I had originally, so it looks good based on what you got!

Quote Originally Posted by freddyottawa View Post
    sweet deal, i'm hoping to at least get what I had originally, so it looks good based on what you got!
    Okay, I got the club and they replaced the head with a new FT Tour head but kept my shaft and grip which I am happy because I had shortened it to 44" and didn't want to have to do the whole process again. Good luck with yours!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar
    I put a hole in the face of my new Adams A30s hybrid iron. Took it to golf town, then sent it out and a week later new club. No charge.
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

So I'm in the middle of intersectionals today and the head of my driver falls off. I wasn't even swinging the club at the time, I reach into my bag and it just decided to fall off with the headcover still on it. Fricken weird.

Back to callaway!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

6 Iron URstillaway is on a distinguished road URstillaway's Avatar
    This is the FT tour they replaced the head on?
    " If Tiger can shank it then I feel I have the right to do it too from time to time."

Nice, I may never buy another Callaway driver again. I just picked up my new Wishon driver the other day, haven't played it yet though.

Thread Information