100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter HappyGolfer is on a distinguished road

Question re handicap

I need a bit of help in understanding who was right... I was playing my yearly friendly competition with a buddy and the game was very close with only a couple of holes left to play and only a couple of strokes between us (I was down). My opponent ran into difficulty and lost a ball out of bounds, lost a second after the drop, then flubbed two or three shots and eventually picked up his ball, dropped it just off the green, chipped on and putted out. He put 2 over par on his score card claiming his handicap didn't let him score any higher.

Up until this time we were playing stroke play and recording each shot taken

He claimed victory after the above but in reality I think he was several shots over my final score.

What is the rule re the above?

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    If you're playing a stroke play match (as it sounds) then EVERY stroke counts. You deduct the handicap difference after the entire round is complete.
    There is no picking up your ball and moving on in stroke play.
    Even I've never heard of me

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I don't know the rule exactly, but that is just wrong.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    ESC(Equitable Stroke Control) is only to be applied AFTER the round for handicap calculating purposes. If you were playing a stroke play (medal) match you are supposed to hole out every hole and count every stroke. If you were playing match play or some form of stableford it is Ok to pick up to concede the hole or once you've reached 0 points for that hole.

The moral victory is yours my friend...also i had a bit of a whince after the "he hit it OB and after the drop...." bit. Hitting it OB means he has to replay the shot from the place of the previous one

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    You win, he loses.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    If you're playing stroke play then every stroke counts and what your buddy (fellow competitor) did was wrong and would be DQ'd for gaining a significant advantage by dropping near the green and not correcting his error.
    If you're playing match play then your buddy (opponent) can concede the hole and drop whereever he wants and play out the hole and that's just one hole lost in the match.
    As Goochy said the ESC is only applied after the round is complete and used for handicap only.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGolfer View Post
    I need a bit of help in understanding who was right... I was playing my yearly friendly competition with a buddy and the game was very close with only a couple of holes left to play and only a couple of strokes between us (I was down). My opponent ran into difficulty and lost a ball out of bounds, lost a second after the drop, then flubbed two or three shots and eventually picked up his ball, dropped it just off the green, chipped on and putted out. He put 2 over par on his score card claiming his handicap didn't let him score any higher.

Up until this time we were playing stroke play and recording each shot taken

He claimed victory after the above but in reality I think he was several shots over my final score.

What is the rule re the above?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You should find someone else with whom to play!
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

70's
    your friend is crazy. You won.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    You really are a Happy Golfer!! The answer is clear from the above. My brother in law has done the same to me and then claimed to have had the low score in the group. I leave little minds do what they wish, you know you beat him and his pathetic attempt to change the score is his way of saying "I SUCK"
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Goochy, Happy Golfer's fellow competitor did the correct thing by dropping after hitting out of bounds. Nowhere did he say he advanced to where the ball exited before dropping. If he was on the teeing ground, then he would have had the option of reteeing the ball. If he was anywhere ahead of the tee markers, then he has to take a drop. But, he disqualified himself by, and I assume it's what he did, teeing off on the next hole without correcting his mistakes.
    He who hits last, walks alone

Thread Information