CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Chara hit

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I think everything that could be said has been said, more than once, so what's the verdict?
    Well, I appoint myself judge and jury, and I declare the NHL made the right call. Shazam!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Just a couple of quick thoughts...IMO Intent cannot be part of the equation. How can you prove what was in a person's mind? Criminal Courts struggle with this daily. Can't tell me the hockey people are any smarter.
    You don't have to prove anything. Its not life or death - its just a game! You use your best judgment based on the available evidence and make a decision. The concept of "reasonable doubt" means nothing here.

Referees make thousands of split-second judgment calls every season, including calls related to intent (was the net intentionally knocked off, did the player intentionally kick the puck into the net, etc.). You can agree or disagree with their judgment and "bad" calls sometimes happen, but somehow the game has survived and players are OK with it. Many would prefer that referees have more discretion instead of less.

Same goes for suspensions. You have more time and usually more evidence to make a decision, but at the end of the day someone is making a subjective, judgment call about what sort of punishment (if any) should be handed out - and their perception of the player's intention does and should play a role in that decision.

One would hope that these decisions are made in a logical and consistent manner, and unfortunately Colin Campbell and the NHL have failed miserably in this regard. The NHL has no credibility at all when it comes to discipline decisions - and that's what the problem is. You can't believe anything these jokers tell you.

For example, part of the NHL's reasoning for no suspension here was that Chara has no history of previous suspensions - which is an outright lie! Chara was suspended for one game several years ago while playing for the Sens for being an instigator in a fight in the last 10 minutes of game.

Now I could understand if the media and fans might think that a suspension imposed by the rulebook instead of by Colin Campbell "doesn't count" - but this should not be the official position of the NHL. After all, they could just as easily have the same situation for somebody else and say a suspension was justified because there was a previous history. What a bunch of total BS!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I think everything that could be said has been said, more than once, so what's the verdict?
    I think the verdict is that everyone who entered this thread w/ an opinion left with it unchanged

It's very easy to argue either side of this debate, I don't see anyone's mind being changed anytime soon.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    I think the verdict is that everyone who entered this thread w/ an opinion left with it unchanged

It's very easy to argue either side of this debate, I don't see anyone's mind being changed anytime soon.
    My mind could be changed but no one has been able to do that yet. I do think the one thing we all agree on is that the rinks need to be made safer and the violence/head shots needs to be controlled/reduced/penalized. It's beyond belief that a league that is trying to grow the game has the attitude it does. Bettman slams his sponsors and Bruce Boudreau says don't watch if you don't like it. Great responses guys and I am sure that will help grow your fan base. I'm all for tough, physical hockey but it is starting to get out of control.

Now Malhotra takes a puck to the eye and his career could be in jeopardy which brings up the whole shield debate again. The reality the players need to be saved from themselves.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../17662761.html
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    And I have to agree with jonf on this one. This wasn't a headshot. Chara did not hit Pac in the head. His head hit the glass support.
    His head hit the glass support as a direct result of Chara's action. There was no where else for Pacioretty's head to go but into the glass. If you look where Chara's arm is during the play, Pacioretty's head is clearly the target.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Sure Hossa should've been suspended, you're supposed to keep your stick below your shoulders aren't you? Hossa was careless with his stick, Berard was standing straight up. That sort of punishment would certainly send a message that you have to keep your stick under control.
    There was no doubt that this was Pat Quinn's belief regarding Hossa at the time.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

So, if contact with the head wasn't made in the Pacioretty case, and therefore a suspension wasn't warranted, despite a broken bone in his neck and a concussion, what of the Zubrus hit on Greening last night? Zubrus leaves his feet, clotheslines Greening. Greening is uninjured, but the play was clearly a headshot, although no penalty was called on the play. What of that my sage fellow forum members?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    So, if contact with the head wasn't made in the Pacioretty case, and therefore a suspension wasn't warranted, despite a broken bone in his neck and a concussion, what of the Zubrus hit on Greening last night? Zubrus leaves his feet, clotheslines Greening. Greening is uninjured, but the play was clearly a headshot, although no penalty was called on the play. What of that my sage fellow forum members?
    should have been a penalty - it was directed towards his head and he left his feet.

again, the point is the Chara hit, anywhere else in the rink away from the benches was nothing more than interference.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    should have been a penalty - it was directed towards his head and he left his feet.

again, the point is the Chara hit, anywhere else in the rink away from the benches was nothing more than interference.
    I agree with that, but, it did happen in that location, and with 13 years in the league, Chara knows what lies between the benches. There is no way to know if Chara did it intentionally or not, but that shouldn't matter. It's about responsibility.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information