+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chara hit

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Chara hit

What is your take on it? I like the fact that Sedin and Thornton stepped up.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/c...?id=2000420966
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    most people dont realize the full extent of this incident, looking at it quickly with no real backround info yeah it looks like a hockey play gone bad I agree. But when you know the whole story, from Patches push to the back of Chara 2 games ago was unacceptable, and im sure Gill and some vets made a point to tell him that was wrong. And to some extent Max had to step up for his actions, but to what extent. The last game brawl night in beantown, Chara grabbed Max during one of the scrums and luckily a linesman realized Max was in trouble and split them up, later in the period Max was standing in front of Thomas, Chara comes up from behind and slashes to the back of the ankle, Max went down crawled to the bench and didnt come back till the next period. Montreal as won the last 9 of 10games vs Boston, they are sick of losing 2 us and the last 2 games havent been hockey games and most Habs fans I've spoken with agree we could all see this coming.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Question Insanity!

I think it's disgusting that Chara got 5 and a game only, he should get 10 or 20 games in my opinion. Chara's actions broke vertebrae in Pacioretty's neck and gave him a severe concussion. I don't understand how Bertuzzi gets a whole season suspension for breaking Moore's neck, but Chara 5 and a game for breaking Pacioretty's neck???????????????????????????
    I am losing faith in the NHL more and more every week. What about the young fans and young hockey players seeing this? What lessons are they learning? That is what scares me more than anything.
    Someone will get killed before the league does anything about this kind of play!
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Chara would have hit him hard no matter where they were on the ice, and at every opportunity. It was unfortunate that this hit happened where it did. Chara's a big strong guy, and is not known to be a dirty player, as his suspension-free career so far has shown. People have hit that partition because of hits before, and it will happen again.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    I think it's disgusting that Chara got 5 and a game only, he should get 10 or 20 games in my opinion. Chara's actions broke vertebrae in Pacioretty's neck and gave him a severe concussion. I don't understand how Bertuzzi gets a whole season suspension for breaking Moore's neck, but Chara 5 and a game for breaking Pacioretty's neck???????????????????????????
    I am losing faith in the NHL more and more every week. What about the young fans and young hockey players seeing this? What lessons are they learning? That is what scares me more than anything.
    Someone will get killed before the league does anything about this kind of play!
    How can you compare this with Bertuzzi tracking Moore down and jumping him from behind and punching away. Did you also want to lump it into McSorley attacking Brashear from behind with a stick to the head? It happened during a hockey play, a check along the boards. If the guy hadn't had such a sever injury, or played for Montreal, would we be having this discussion?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Bertuzzi gets a whole season suspension for breaking Moore's neck, but Chara 5 and a game for breaking Pacioretty's neck?
    To me there is no comparing the two incidents.
    Bertuzzi chased Moore down and attacked him from behind, the Pacioretty hit was an actual hockey play. That being said, I've watched the video numerous times and to me it looks like Chara purposely directs Paciorettys' head into the stanchion. Chara claiming it was accidental is a bare-faced lie.

I agree with Thronton about the double standard NHL refs seem to employ. I think the NHL wants the Bruins, and certain others, to go deep into the playoffs.

I also wish Air Canada would focus less on the NHL, and focus more on finding my luggage.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Chara would have hit him hard no matter where they were on the ice, and at every opportunity. It was unfortunate that this hit happened where it did. Chara's a big strong guy, and is not known to be a dirty player, as his suspension-free career so far has shown. People have hit that partition because of hits before, and it will happen again.
    only chara knows is true intent, but when Patches says he couldn't move his head, and you see in the pictures is right elbow is locked tells me he was not just pushing, rubbing a guy out is trapping a guy with your body and shoulders and pinch him into the boards, not locking your right arm onto the players head and ramming into the glass or turnbuckle as this was the case.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Chara hit him like that on purpose and drove Max's head into the stanchion, end result broken neck. Chara knew exactly what he was doing.
    Bruins have horse shoes up there ---! There definitely a double standard.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I watched that game and I agree that the game is fast but some comments from Chara clearly indicates that he is saying anything to cover-up his actions. I have played contact hockey at a competitive level at I do not believe him when he said that he did not know it was Patches that he was hitting. He missed a great opportunity to shut up. It did happen fast but the high elbow push, to me at least, was an indication that there was intent to push him there.

Not sure this was a 15-20 suspension but it was at leased a 2-3 games. Nobody can dispute that there was an interference penalty on the play and that caused injury. In that case it should be an automatic suspension. The NHL missed the boat big time.

As for the comments everywhere in regards to “Not a dirty player” or “ no previous record of intent to injure”, everybody started with first incident or suspension. That was Chara’s first in my book. What if he does it again, will he get away with it again because he did not get suspended the last time?????
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    This is sad on so many levels. First, though, the fact that Chara has no prior suspensions means nothing. He has potentially crippled a guy and ended his career... no suspension. So is he still a good guy? I believe Chara's actions were deliberate, although I don't believe he intended the severity of the hit. Perhaps he was hoping for a shoulder or chest into the post, not the full weight or speed of the head alone. Regardless, the time does NOT fit the crime here. Second, WHY does the NHLPA not step up. What can they be thinking? I'd be some pi**ed if that was MY union and guys (78 at last count) were dropping around me with potentially career and life threatening injuries. Finally, Garry Bettman... I'm speechless at his response to the Air Canada (threat?). You do NOT treat a good loyal sponsor like that, in public. McGuire had a good take on it today on the Team 1200. Thought if he could have a mulligan he'd say it differently. Hope he has called the pres of AC and smoothed things over. Bettman needs all the supporters he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    As for the comments everywhere in regards to “Not a dirty player” or “ no previous record of intent to injure”, everybody started with first incident or suspension. That was Chara’s first in my book. What if he does it again, will he get away with it again because he did not get suspended the last time?????
    I agree with that. If it is going to happen, it has to start somewhere.
    Colby

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    IMHO, this was not 'a violent hit' as per all the hyped press on the matter. It was a hit which, anywhere else on the ice, would have been a 'rub out' on the boards of a player without the puck - definitely, a major interference penalty was warranted. It is, however, a clear and near fatal indicator of poor facility design. Let's spend our time and effort on the weakness in the facility design which caused the problem. In all sports, items which, through either poor facility design or happenstance occurence, end up outside the field of play at high velocity usually meet with a violent ending. Examples which quickly come to mind - racing cars, broken baseball bats and hockey pucks into stands.

If their was a better end to the glass at locations where such openings are located, the injury forseeably would have been minimized. If the area above the boards at such locations were not open, his head could not have gone outside of the field of play and have met with the violent result that it did.

Perhaps its time for the NHL to hold an annual safety engineering competition with a grand prize of seasons tickets to the recipients' desired club. Let's try to build the better mousetrap...it is apparent to me that the ones we currently have contain some serious, potentially lethal flaws. Again....IMHO
    Last edited by imozzie; 03-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

here's a good quote on head shots in general, and on a side note why can't the NHL be like the NFL, punish the act not the intent. Jack Edwards of NESN wrote in his ode to Colin Campbell back in 2009: The only person who seems to understand Colin Campbell's pattern of punishment is Campbell himself. The suspensions he hands down are arbitrary and erratic -- swayed by non-evidence, hunch, gut feelings, anecdotes and back-channel influence peddlers -- and they are almost never clearly explained. He establishes precedent and contradicts it. He makes exceptions based on flawed premises and then concludes his arguments illogically and capriciously. No one, no one, knows what is allowed and what is not allowed. It is Dartboard Justice.Perhaps there is someone patrolling the highways and byways of hockey that has the ability to establish standards of punishment; to draw a clear line that everyone understands; to communicate effectively with players, coaches, managers and fans; and to make the NHL a fair and safe place for the world's most exciting athletes. But Colin Campbell is not that someone.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    if this happens anywhere else on the ice, its not an issue. It's unfortunate that it happened the way it did, but Chara can't be blamed for being big. Yes, it was an illegal play that caused an injury, and hence the game misconduct. But it was not the kind of hit that you can slap a huge suspension on. What if Chara dumps someone in a scrum by the side of the net, and they fall into the post? Is that suspendable?

This is getting a tonne of attention because of the focus on concussions. But, this was NOT a headshot. There is no rule in the NHL against causing a concussion. Obviously it's something that they want to limit, but there is no rule that states that any hit causing a concussion is a suspendable offense. You can debate the merits of adding such a rule, but the fact is, no such rule exists.

I understand the frustration of Habs fans, but unfortunate things happen on the ice. The NHL is in the unenviable position of having to make an unpopular decision - an unpopular decision that is nevertheless the CORRECT one.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    if this happens anywhere else on the ice, its not an issue. It's unfortunate that it happened the way it did, but Chara can't be blamed for being big. Yes, it was an illegal play that caused an injury, and hence the game misconduct. But it was not the kind of hit that you can slap a huge suspension on. What if Chara dumps someone in a scrum by the side of the net, and they fall into the post? Is that suspendable?

This is getting a tonne of attention because of the focus on concussions. But, this was NOT a headshot. There is no rule in the NHL against causing a concussion. Obviously it's something that they want to limit, but there is no rule that states that any hit causing a concussion is a suspendable offense. You can debate the merits of adding such a rule, but the fact is, no such rule exists.

I understand the frustration of Habs fans, but unfortunate things happen on the ice. The NHL is in the unenviable position of having to make an unpopular decision - an unpopular decision that is nevertheless the CORRECT one.
    iThis was a premeditated move by someone who had a motive, anyone who follows Montreal-Boston know deep down Chara knew what he was doing by taking full advantage of his position on the ice. Anyone who actually believes he tried to rub him out as never strapped on a pair of skates, rub is not pushing and holdings one head, what Chara did was much like an icing play where a player gets pushed from behind at full speed this was the same as the hit on our local boy Kurtis Foster a disgusting unnecessary play.

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post

Perhaps its time for the NHL too hold an annual safety engineering competition with a grand prize of seasons tickets to the recipients' desired club. Let's try to build the better mousetrap...it is apparent to me that the ones we currently have contain some serious, potentially lethal flaws. Again....IMHA
    Two solutions: #1 - Do away with the stupid "between the benches" commentator. That eliminates 1 stanchion.
    #2 - do away with the partitions between the benches altogether, and be prepared to come down hard if there are any shenanigins between the benches. But of course, then you'd have uproar because of a few skirmishes on the benches.

Think of it this way: When they have the 'between the bench' commentator, there are six places to hit the stanchion: either side of the two stanchions in between the benches (4), and one side of the stanchions at the far end of the benches (2). Eliminate the 4 in the middle, and you've cut the risk of this happening by two thirds. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    iThis was a premeditated move by someone who had a motive, anyone who follows Montreal-Boston know deep down Chara knew what he was doing by taking full advantage of his position on the ice. Anyone who actually believes he tried to rub him out as never strapped on a pair of skates, rub is not pushing and holdings one head, what Chara did was much like an icing play where a player gets pushed from behind at full speed this was the same as the hit on our local boy Kurtis Foster a disgusting unnecessary play.
    You don't know that he meant to do it. You feel that he meant to do it. That is a big difference.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Agree 100%. And Habs fans are going to be biased no matter what. Only Chara knows his intentions. To say otherwise is just plain ignorant. btw, this exact same play happened a few years ago - it was between Colorado and LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPphB84zMCM

does anyone remember it? I doubt it due to the teams involved. The NHL needs to deal with the problem that these stanchions are unsafe and potentially deadly. If Max has any beef it should be with the NHL.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Chara is as skilled as they get, has a running fued with Pac, and knows the Bell Centre. His hand..directing and holding Pac's head in this check into the stanchion, at full speed, is great athleticism, and one of the scariest cheapest hockey shots I have ever seen. I think he has forever tarnished his reputation. You see that when soft spoken guys like Sedin speak up.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    If you run a red light and get caught, you may be charged with a traffic violation. If you run a red light and cause an accident, you open yourself up to more serious charges like dangerous driving, criminal negligence and vehicular assault (depending on the jurisdiction). If you run a red light and cause an accident that results in fatalities, you may be charged with manslaughter, criminal negligence causing death, vehicular homicide. Basically the same offense has increasing levels of charges based on the outcome of that offense. That Chara made an illegal play is not in doubt. The consequences of that play were severe, regardless of intent (which I am highly suspicious of), which means the penalty should increase. He didn't just cruise through a red light, he t-boned someone and damn near killed them.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs down Put the blame where it belongs...

IMHO, this was not 'a violent hit' as per all the hyped press on the matter. It was a hit which, anywhere else on the ice, would have been a 'rub out' on the boards of a player without the puck - definitely, a major interference penalty was warranted. It is, however, a clear and near fatal indicator of poor facility design. Let's spend our time and effort on the weakness in the facility design which caused the problem. In all sports, items which, through either poor facility design or happenstance occurence, end up outside the field of play at high velocity usually meet with a violent ending. Examples which quickly come to mind - racing cars, broken baseball bats and hockey pucks into stands.

If their was an better end to the glass at locations where such openings are located, the injury forseeably would have been minimized. If the area above the boards at such locations were not open, his head could not have gone outside of the field of play and have met with the violent result that it did.

Perhaps its time for the NHL too hold an annual safety engineering competition with a grand prize of seasons tickets to the recipients' desired club. Let's try to build the better mousetrap...it is apparent to me that the ones we currently have contain some serious, potentially lethal flaws. Again....IMHA
    Sorry, cannot agree. Blaming the facility is like blaming the road or the car design in a fatal motor vehicle accident. True there are many factors, but these players know the arenas like the back of their hands. The blame lies with Chara.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Agree 100%. And Habs fans are going to be biased no matter what. Only Chara knows his intentions. To say otherwise is just plain ignorant. btw, this exact same play happened a few years ago - it was between Colorado and LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPphB84zMCM

does anyone remember it? I doubt it due to the teams involved. The NHL needs to deal with the problem that these stanchions are unsafe and potentially deadly. If Max has any beef it should be with the NHL.
    close but no cigar, thats what u call rubbing someone out, gain body position and pinch him into the boards using body/shoulders, Smyth shoulder took 70% of the impact cause Johnson wasnt pushing on his head, or any part of his body. u dont push in hockey unless your trying to gain body position in front of the net not at fulll speed. All players need to be held accountable for their actions much like the NFL with their policy on headshots and facemask penalty's.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Chara knew what he was doing. Karma's a * Zdeno. Can't wait to see what payback comes your way...

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Sorry, cannot agree. Blaming the facility is like blaming the road or the car design in a fatal motor vehicle accident. True there are many factors, but these players know the arenas like the back of their hands. The blame lies with Chara.
    I'm sorry - your logic doesn't hold. With it, Pac would also be thus negligent for, as per your logic, he should have known where he was on the ice and simply not put himself in such position for a potential collision with the end of the glass. Thus, two players - who we both agree should logically know the facility - and we still encounter a serious injury. We do so because of poor facillity design - as you do with some roads which cause fatalities. I know of what I speak....the end of my street is soon to be redesigned specifically because of such.

The injury was caused by the collision with the stanchion outside the field of play. Such should not be able to happen. Kept inside the rink - no injury would have resulted.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I'm sorry - your logic doesn't hold. With it, Pac would also be thus negligent for, as per your logic, he should have known where he was on the ice and simply not put himself in such position for a potential collision with the end of the glass.
    You're ignoring the fact that he should not have been hit at all because the puck was long gone. There is no doubt that Chara's penalty for interference was well-deserved, so you can't blame the victim this time.

The injury was caused by the collision with the stanchion outside the field of play. Such should not be able to happen. Kept inside the rink - no injury would have resulted.
    There is no such thing as a rink without stanchions - there has to be a minimum of two to accommodate the player's benches. I do agree that the ones at centre ice should be eliminated and better padding should be used, but this kind of injury is always a possibility.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You don't know that he meant to do it. You feel that he meant to do it. That is a big difference.
    Its not really that big a difference at all in sport. EVERY penalty and EVERY suspension is a judgment call - that doesn't mean you have to do nothing because you can't be sure. You don't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt here - you use your best judgment based on whatever evidence you have.

Personally I don't think this was deliberate on Chara's part, but I also don't think he should get away with no suspension at all. A major penalty and game misconduct was assessed, a player was seriously injured as a result and there is enough evidence to suggest that it MAY have been intentional - so at least a one or two game suspension should have been given. If you think that's too much then so what - its a 82-game season for crying out loud!

The real problem is not the rink, not the Habs vs Bruins rivalry or even whether Chara is a dirty player or not. The real problem is that the NHL doesn't give a damn about the safety of the players.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I think Chara knew he was directing MP's body into the stanchion (not his head) but Chara has no way of knowing what the result of the play was going to be. MP could have put his arms out and lessened the impact to his head. The fault in this incident lies with the arena for having (6) dangerous stanchions, the NHL for not having a penalty for when a player pushes a guy into that dangerous area, Chara for deliberately trying to hurt MP by squeezing him into the dangerous area, and MP for not doing all he can to defend himself.

Chara should have been suspended a few games (3-5), just like Matt Cooke should have been suspended for hitting the Boston player in the head. But because there wasn't a rule at the time of the incident, the NHL gave no suspension. I think we'll see a rule change and hopefully a change in the design of the arena.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Could they not round out the end where the stanchions are so there is no end of the glass in play (padded or not)? By that I mean curl the glass so there is no "flat" ending like having the glass go into the back of the bench. It wouldn't completely solve the problem but hitting a curved glass would more deflect the player rather than a dead stop. Not sure if this is going to come across as I am thinking it so sorry if it sounds dumb.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Basically the same offense has increasing levels of charges based on the outcome of that offense.
    To me this is is the crux of it.
    Regardless of what Chara claims, I believe his intent was to ride Pac into the stanchion. I certainly don't think he wanted to injure Pac as badly as he did, but nonetheless he did it.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Chara knew what he was doing. Karma's a * Zdeno. Can't wait to see what payback comes your way...
    you know this for a fact? you can read minds?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information