100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martinGSA View Post
    Triggers are by far the best option as then we get the image at the precise instant the ball enters the field of view and don't have to illuminate all the the way to the screen.

The LX uses a reflex sensor to trigger the camera. That consists of a strong IR LED emitter and a sensor. As soon as the club passes by, the reflection back from the IR emitter to the sensor generates a trigger sensor to the camera. At the same time a super powerful LED strobe light is triggered.

We get great sharp images like this so image processing is quite easy.

There's still a bit of development work to do but hope to be out on the market with this in the summer.

Will the LX LED IR emitter work outside without any light interference? So what sort of illumination do you need with the camera trigger, is it just the above light? It sounds like the cams only capture a short FOV, but what about the launch cam, isn't that fov longer?

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by martinGSA View Post
    Triggers are by far the best option as then we get the image at the precise instant the ball enters the field of view and don't have to illuminate all the the way to the screen.

The LX uses a reflex sensor to trigger the camera. That consists of a strong IR LED emitter and a sensor. As soon as the club passes by, the reflection back from the IR emitter to the sensor generates a trigger sensor to the camera. At the same time a super powerful LED strobe light is triggered.

We get great sharp images like this so image processing is quite easy.

There's still a bit of development work to do but hope to be out on the market with this in the summer.
    Speaking about lighting I have a question about the lighting requirements for a GSA system. The center mounted, overhead sensor pad and camera trigger lights are self explanatory. However one of the GSA pages calls out a third center mounted ceiling light in front of the camera trigger. Another page calls out a "High Powered LED Lamp" side mounted at the ceiling. Which is right, or are they both right? Where does one find a "Hight Powered LED Lamp"? It seems to me that light from a third 75W, 45º center mounted ceiling light in front of the camera trigger would hit the projection screen which can't be right. I'm assuming the third light is there to illuminate the ball for the launch angle camera but I understand whether the overhead or LED is preferred.

b3team
    The LX sounds awesome. Gc2 killer.

Yep and I absolutely hope Martin comes through with it at a lower price than the GC2.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Yes, the LX with 65 GSA courses could be a lot cheaper than the GC2. But as far as performance, it's way too early to say if the LX would be able to match the GC2. What I would like to see from the LX is a display of an estimated clubface/path along with ball data.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Yes, the LX with 65 GSA courses could be a lot cheaper than the GC2. But as far as performance, it's way too early to say if the LX would be able to match the GC2. What I would like to see from the LX is a display of an estimated clubface/path along with ball data.
    I agree Z. It would be very easy for Martin to include an estmation of the club face angle and path.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I am not so sure it is that easy to get club data from ball data unless you start with assuming that you hit the ball dead center on the club face every time!
    And if you do that you can just as well not bother with club data.

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    I am not so sure it is that easy to get club data from ball data unless you start with assuming that you hit the ball dead center on the club face every time!
    And if you do that you can just as well not bother with club data.
    That's why it's called an estimate. It won't be perfect. It's very dependent on the accuracy of all the ball measurements, especially spin. It's better than not having it.

For sure it can be done, but is the same concerns as getting ball data from just club data which is what the dd/p3pro do. It is not as accurate. I still think that knowing what the ball is doing is he most important for realistic simulation. If we know the ball hooked then we know the clubface is closed relative to the path. How much is another question. Having both club and ball data is the best option for sure.

70's
    i agree with bubba and z. both is better even if one is estimated

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stevnkrn View Post
    Speaking about lighting I have a question about the lighting requirements for a GSA system. The center mounted, overhead sensor pad and camera trigger lights are self explanatory. However one of the GSA pages calls out a third center mounted ceiling light in front of the camera trigger. Another page calls out a "High Powered LED Lamp" side mounted at the ceiling. Which is right, or are they both right? Where does one find a "Hight Powered LED Lamp"? It seems to me that light from a third 75W, 45º center mounted ceiling light in front of the camera trigger would hit the projection screen which can't be right. I'm assuming the third light is there to illuminate the ball for the launch angle camera but I understand whether the overhead or LED is preferred.
    Technically, the second light after the one for the trigger array would not need to be halogen. It does not need to provide infra-red light. So, you could use led or any type of directional light. It's job is to illuminate the ball after the trigger is fired so it can be read by the camera. Depending on the depth of your sensors, say they are shallow ( 1/4" ) you could have some interference from the second light if it has the infra-red wavelength(halogen). You could use a non IR light source to avoid this. My sensors are about 1" below the surface, so I just use another halogen bulb in my light track and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by stevnkrn View Post
    Not having to putt over a slot in the floor has a lot of appeal to me. I've heard nothing about line scan cameras. Is this something in the works at GSA? Would they replace the traditional cameras for launch, path and spin? Will they cost more? Is this the same thing as the firewire cameras referred to a couple of times in this thread? I don't expect that you know all the answers, but anything you do know would be appreciated.
    I agree, I would rather not have the slot to putt over, but it does not impact the roll of a putt. At least not in my setup. This is more of an appearance thing for me. Also, debris falls on the track that needs to be cleared out for proper operation, but this is really rare.

Also, regarding the putting cameras. ( H and V ) You can putt from any location, but using a pre-defined location provides for much more accurate measurements. I can slightly push or pull a putt and it will detect it. Putting is very accurate and once you can translate the view on the screen to the ground it is quite realistic. I just wish we had the slope indicators for a more accurate green reading ability.

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mmlincon View Post
    Technically, the second light after the one for the trigger array would not need to be halogen. It does not need to provide infra-red light. So, you could use led or any type of directional light. It's job is to illuminate the ball after the trigger is fired so it can be read by the camera. Depending on the depth of your sensors, say they are shallow ( 1/4" ) you could have some interference from the second light if it has the infra-red wavelength(halogen). You could use a non IR light source to avoid this. My sensors are about 1" below the surface, so I just use another halogen bulb in my light track and it works well.
    So an overhead light is the way to go instead of one mounted high on the side wall? Again, each is listed is different places on the GSA website.

You can probabaly get by with just 2. 1 for sensor mat. 1 for trigger array and ball.

Well there's pros/cons to both really. If you put it on the side wall you could hit it with a ball. The light would also hit the opposite wall and make the contrast difficult.

Overhead works well, but it can reflect off the turf a bit making contrast for the H camera difficult. You can combat this with an adjustable iris lens

Putter irealgolf is on a distinguished road
    Hi, Martin, Did LX release or not now?

Thread Information