CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Martin updated today. He is concerned about the high speed shots (drivers @ a ball speed of 150 - 200mph). With his current bulbs he needs a 30 micro second shutter and the ball is blurring, so he is reworking with a xenon flash with IR filter. We will see how that goes.u
    Last edited by northgolf; 05-26-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: xenon replace xeon. factual correction

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    So basically nowhere near completion. It's a shame - the market could really, really use some competition!

8 Iron kwantfm is on a distinguished road
    I am enjoying reading the technical news on the GSA website. Latest update below sounds promising:

4th. June. 2012

LX development

Xenon flash circuit completed and fitted to the LX test unit.

First tests were dissapointing. The flash is very bright and it's spectrum contains plenty of IR light so we were expecting nice bright images at of the ball but the images were all dark.

We suspected the flash and the camera trigger were out of sync and it took some 5 hours to confirm this.

It turned out that the trigger line delay chip - even though set to zero delay - was still delaying the signal by one clock cycle.

Once this was resolved the images at 6 micro second shutter speed were excellent. And this was only using one of the low power flash circuits.

(We haven't tried going down to the camera's maximim of 2 micro second shutter speed yet)

So it would seem we won't be needing 4 flash units after all. In fact, the flash is so bright that even with a 720nm IR filter it is still visable to the eye.

As this might be distracting to the player we'll have to source a stronger IR filter. i.e. in the 800 to 900 nm range.

As all Xenon flash circuits run on high voltages (350v) we'll have to encapsulate the unit in epoxy resin to prevent dangerous shocks when the unit is being opened.

The other problem was that the flash charge circuit (< 2 seconds) causes big negative spikes on the 5 volt power supply.

We're seeing 3 volt drops on the 5v power line at a constant frequency so the power to the flash must be isolated from the 5 volt logic circuits in the LX.

We might be able to smooth these drops out with a suitablly large capacitor but if that doesn't do the trick then we'll have to use dual isolated power supplies and/or batteries.

Sand Wedge mjbcfc is on a distinguished road
    Yeah I read this yesterday although I must admit the electrical info goes straight over over my head however it is good to read that the Xenon flash circuit seems to be working extremely well, even better news is that the Xenon is so good that it won't require 4 flash units as previously thought (I was getting worried when Martin was mentioning adding external lighting as well as the 4 internal ones so its reassuring that the Xenon is performing well).

I've got my Ccam arriving tomorrow, got everything else setup so can't wait. Hopefully I can add the LX1 add-on once it's ready (I was going to purchase the complete LX package however I'd much prefer my Ccam to be affixed above me rather than on the floor at an angle as with the LX2). A good thing about the Ccam is that I'll have a product that I can build upon just in case the LX doesn't ever see production (I can add Hcam and Vcam if required, although I'm obviously really hoping the LX does get produced as it is a much better alternative than the aforementioned Hcam and Vcam and much easier to setup haha).

I expected the xenon to be more than adequate. I built a strobe light using a xenon flash tube in the 70's. The power circuits can be challenging - I went through several iterations before I stopped wearing out capacitors. My bet is he ends up with dual isolated power supplies. I hate to think of battery life.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I find it pretty nice of Martin to blog the progress the way he does.
    Hope he will have success and get the product out soon.
    That market needs a serious competitor that is not screwing it's customer with the software prices!

Another LX update, the images captured by the LX with the new Xenon flash look really clear and sharp. Martin has now said that the only obstacle in the way of production is that the flash are sometimes not going off at the correct time, he hopes that a higher quality flash unit from a different manufacturer will resolve this issue....fingers crossed.

8 Iron kwantfm is on a distinguished road
    Quite a few recent updates on the GSA site... sounds like they are excitingly close to solving the main problems prior to production.

Well, Martin is saying they've figured out the technical issues and this final revision of the circuit board will get them to production. All that is left is calibration after with the final board. Want to place a wager on how well the calibration goes (that is when we find out how precise the ball path will be using the ball size calculation)? How confident do you think he is about it? Do you think is is an accident the last revision of the LX board is being designed for an "optional" second camera which may be added in the future?

My money is it won't make production this month - maybe late July.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Here's to wishing him good luck with it. It would be good to see another market choice, and if I'm not mistaken, Martin does deliver quality, WHEN he actually delivers.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I wouldn't hold my breath with Martin. If he focuses on this it may happen.

Bubba,

I think Martin is focused this time. He has been updating his tech news with the development status of the LX system twice a week for the past month and he has been making consistent progress. The end goal is clearly in sight.

You may be right. Hope that is the case!

Dropped a note to Martin last night and he updated the website today. It looks like they are down to assembling a final proto-type and testing it at the range. I am beginning to believe we will see the LX1 before the end of summer.

I hope so North. It doesn't give one confidence when there are folks with issues with other GSA products such as the Ccam etc. I do hope he gets the LX done accurately or not at a all!

Well, Martin is now accepting pre-orders for the LX launch monitor with an introductory price of $1799. He is stating the system ships in August. Time for me to start debating.

n.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    go for it northgolf- we all need to know if it works........

I am seriously considering it.

The LX comes with two fiberbuilt panels for the camera trigger when run inside. If I go that route, then I'll need to get a fiberbuilt mat and build the stance support. I was leaning towards something like the IR Laser Gate camera trigger which would allow me to use the mat of my choice instead of a fiberbuilt mat - I've inquired on the time frame for that add on.

What is the sound a guinea pig makes?

I'd have gladly been the guinea pig for this little product however I can't justify it at the moment considering I've only just splashed out for the Ccam (and considering the initial snags I've had with the product).

Think I speak for everyone though in saying that we'd love to hear your thoughts on it Northgolf if/when you purchase it and give it a go!

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Absolutely - GSA would do well to get some of these out for review ASAP, even a prototype if functional. The LX seems like it might be the answer for many at a third the cost of a GC2. Could sell like (expensive but tasty) hotcakes if it works well but so many (non GSA) sims have not delivered what was promised.

Sand Wedge Claydog is on a distinguished road
    Mmmm...in the market/planning stage. Close to considering the CG2...then the LX news. If he had a money back satisfaction guarantee, I think I'd preorder. See any similarities in the LX to this ? Thought I recognized the design...... http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...G_7467_002.JPG

Claydog,

I don't expect the LX to look like it does in the picture. Martin went to the 4 flash design when he wasn't getting enough light from two ir LEDs. Since then he has changed to xenon flashes and does not need multiple flash units. Originally, it had two ir flashes at the bottom of the case.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    What sound does a guinea pig make when he is being flushed down a toilet?

Looking forward to your review Northgolf.

Just making an observation.....i wouldn't care what it looks like if it was a CG2killer at that price! I wish Martin had the LX out and tested already!! I would have probably pulled the trigger on the CG2 by now, but because of the ridiculous course prices I"ve been looking for alternatives. It is a huge purchase for me so wanting the option to play a lot of courses is making me hesitate on the CG2. I would love for the CG2 to lose a sale to another system that works as well but doesnt stick you in the * with courses...and if it happens I will let them know. I'm willing to pay a fair amount, but when there is basically the same courses/software out there at substantially lower prices.....it eats at my very core.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Claydog
    All courses are not the same. You tend to gravitate to a few as a result of better graphics and rendering.

Would get advice from gc2 users re which courses. It is a pitty they are not sold individually.

For mine Celtic Manor is good.

Thanks, I'll ask and check'em out. I was meaning same companies right?.....Red Chain & E6? Regardless, IMO, at $50 a course it would be high but fair. I look at the graphics of my son's computer games he plays and they blow the golf sim courses away @ $20-$60. Theirs for the most part are $100+ a course and that might be fair to them (ya think!). But it makes my "getting screwed" radar go off and has me looking for options. I know, I know, don't like it don't buy it. I'm not the first on here to say they think they are too high with the CG2. If they were superior to anything out there, then a premium may be warranted. Hell DD is cheap and looks pretty darn good. I know they would see a 'huge' spike in home unit sales if they sold the unit with the driving/fitting and 5-10 courses for the price of what the unit is now by itself. It's still high, but it would start to look like a value for the money. How many people here that bought Protee with add on's or GCS with add on's spending $4-5k+ or a Trugolf set up would of saved up a bit more and opted for the CG2 at $6.5k that came with all that? (heads are shaking 'yessss' lol) And no doubt they would have got some of the ones that spent more than 6.5K to get the accuracy they were looking for. IMO just for arguments sake, if they were selling 5 units a month to the home users before, my guess is they would go up to 10-20 a month if it came with my 'value pack' lol...just sayin. (please o' please let the LX be a CG2 killer...if i can wait that long! I'm screwed...and i know it)

All true Claydog. There eventually will b a competitor for the GC2. Their prices are high for their courses as we all know. I suppose it depend on whether you like playing courses or practicing. I personally like playing the courses.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Just a quick FYI Claydog - E6 & Red Chain are two different companies.

Also, be sure to note when you buy a system, you also need to consider the level of support that you will need as well as consider that with new products come bugs so are you willing to deal with bugs until they are fixed (if ever)?

I am not saying don't go with the LX, in fact I am considering being one of the first ones to buy it to test it side by side with the GC2 and other systems, and then possibly distributing the product if all checks out. However, from my (and my client's) experience with GSA, support can be hit or miss.

Hi Cory,

I know support can be hit or miss with GSA, so it is quite likely I'll fly down to FLA to visit Martin and see the system work before I buy it. I've already been burned once with the P3Proswing.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I'm certainly looking forward to the reviews, as I won't be making my purchase decision until this Fall and we should all have a good idea of how well this will meet expectations by then. My primary focus is practice, so the shear number of courses isn't THAT important, but the quality of the data I can get for game improvement are. As for support, I'll wait to buy one until Cory has it up on his website =|;0-)

Thread Information