100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Gap Wedge Steveh is on a distinguished road
    After spending the winter on my p3proswing I finally got to hit off real grass on a range. My constant fade to slice is now a draw. I think that is probably going to help me. I am also mis-hitting a lot less shots so far so I will get a little more time in and see how I adjust to my new shots once I finally get to play in another week or so. I also find my shot trajectory is higher so I will have to work on that a little as well as I think it is costing a little distance.

70jr
    that sounds possitive good luck this year steveh

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    The weather warmed up and the rain stopped. I was able to golf twice this week. My ball striking has improved. My short game is getting better each time I play. Putting was awesome today. I was on pace to shoot in the low 80's today unit I got to the 13th hole, number 1 handicap. The wind picked up and being an idiot, I swung faster. Ended up with a snowman. It was all down hill from there.

Any way, I need to give some credit to my simulator. I've been hitting my irons a little fat or a bit low. After watching some youtube instructions and trying them out on the simulator, I was able to fix my problem. I'm now making better contact on the simulator and on the course. Both LA and distance have improved. I still have a lot of work to do. The other day I tried to hit a 15 yard slice, but all I got was a 3 yard fade.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Keep working it Z. I played on Wed and shot a 79. I think he sim has helped my practice. I have not been to the range this yr yet but do need to go chip and put for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Keep working it Z. I played on Wed and shot a 79. I think he sim has helped my practice. I have not been to the range this yr yet but do need to go chip and put for sure.
    My goal this year is to break 80. It was a brick wall for me last year. My distance and short game is good enough to do that but, I really need to work on fades and slices.

6 Iron Daddyfats is on a distinguished road
    Howdy all,

I haven't visited much lately. I finally read most of this thread and have a couple of general comments and opinions.

IMO, 99% of what a simulator has to offer when it comes to improvement is in the category of ball striking. I think any simulator with the quality of DD and higher can help improve ball striking.
    The feedback given by the DD is probably closer to the minimum required for this task than the higher priced sims, but it's accuracy tolerances are good enough to trust for making changes as long as you know what you're doing and use a little common sense.
    I have yet to have a guest use the DD without it showing his usual tendencies. Guys who slice or fade do it on the DD also. Personally, my real ball flight varies from slight fade to draw and this is what I get on the DD. I never hit a big slice in real life, and I never hit a big slice on the DD. I do hit the occassional hook in real life and I also snap one off on the DD now and then. By the way, I only use irons on the DD, and of course, this is one of downsides to not having ball readings.
    The amount you can lower your scores by practicing on a simulator is probably directly proportional to the quality of your ball striking now, and your knowledge of how to make adjustments if necessary. The simulator can tell you that you aren't squaring the clubface, but it can't tell you why or how to fix it. That's up to you or your instructor if you have one. That said, I think a 20+ handicapper could shave 5 strokes by using a simulator properly, and a 5 handicapper might shave 1, and I think this is possible with anything DD or better.
    For the rest of the strokes, you need to spend time on the range, the practice greens, and the course. JMO

I tend to agree Daddyfats. Once one knows the limitations of the sims then you can use the knowledge to improve one ore more aspects of your game. What you say about the dd is right. Because there is so many aspects to the game it would be interesting to see if anyone has actually significantly reduced their handical with any sim at that matter. I suspect it is possible but probably not the norm. The only aspect of ball striking that may not be improved (do to the turf) is the angle of attack - divots/fat/thin etc shots. Perhaps the divot action mat may help the dd in that matter. For sure the Fiberbuilt mat is much better than the dd mat but it in itself is like any mat, not perfect. Our golf club has new mats that are similair to the Fiberbuilt and most players prefer hitting of a real grass surface vs any fake mats. I do however think that the Fiberbuilt is as good as it gets however like I said the divot action looks like a good option and I certainly would like to have some feedback from anybody that has one.

blackfire
    I had a p3pro as well and a bit split in opigion. As Z and Bubba said, the robber top and grass top is aaaaaaaaaaaa well I don't have words to describe. the club path was for me completely off always to much outside in but don't forget that the accuracy of the P3Pro is plus or minus 6 degrees. I founded that the club speed was pretty good. and club face angle as well. I had in my and a test made by Golftek that does the pro7 that tested the club face angle accurate within 0,5 degree because of the tapping. All that been said I was'nt verry satisfied but I can say that It helped me with my timing because of the 0,5 degree club face accuracy. If you have a low budget and you whant to practice your driver then your ok concentrate on the club face angle result and forget the rest. that is my opigion.

Oupss I think I'm a bit late with this comment

70jr
    well have to report bad news, this is the first weekend that I played after using the sim for a week and I was hitting the driver really good. I hit 60% of the fairways that were really tight; anywhere else that number would have been high 60’s. The thing that killed me was on my approach shots I was hitting the ball on the shaft for the first 5 holes. Not good they came and went but the damage was already done on the scorecard. Shot an 85 from the Gold’s 7190. I hit the first 4 fairways and then hit 4 balls OB on the very next shot. After hole 5 I did not do that for the rest of the round. Very strange?

Was it the difference between the turf on the simulator and the real grass?

70jr
    No just had a case of the shanks for a bit. Do not know where they came from

That sucks. Still early so just go back to the basics with the GC2. It will work out.

70jr
    will do.

blackfire
    I have to say that I'm a lot more in the fairway that I ever been in the past. I'm 14 handicap and before I was everywere maybe 25% of the shots in the fairway. Up now and it's been 9 games I'm at least 60% to 70% of the time and I know what I do wrong when I'm not. The putting is difficult because they picked them so speed and direction are not regular. I'm verry satisfied with my protee and feel that having that home with a kid makes me practice almost every day and does the difference in the constence of the timing.

70jr
    good to hear blackfire. I wish i could be in the fairway 60-70%. i average 47% fairways hit.

Awesome blackfire. I agree. The launch program will only make it better. Dennis has 11 new courses as well that will be available.

I average about 60% fairways but would like to get that number to 80% consistently.

70jr
    that is really good bubba. i am working on it.

70jr
    i would like to see what both our numbers look like in 2 months bubba. i have been doing a great job of tracking everything but i only just started keeping track a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I average about 60% fairways but would like to get that number to 80% consistently.
    I'll take 60%.

I struck the ball well today. This course had a few holes that demanded a fade off the tee. I nail 2 out of three. The one I missed was with a 3 wood and it faded a little too far into the rough.

I had a nice stretch where I hit 4 of 5 fairways. My short game failed me today. My own fault because I haven't been practicing my chipping. Get to the course and go right to the first tee.

70jr
    if i averaged 60% i would think about trying to make that my full time job.

It really is just 8 fairways out of 14 per round. I would like to be above 10 fairways peround.

70jr
    you are right bubba, i do power and some rounds are harder than others to hit the short stuff.

True be that.

blackfire
    I must say that my 60-70% is an ease course width open but still I was almost never in the fayrway even in play was difficult for me so I'm optimistic for this year.

cool to know that more courses are comming

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Keep in mind the top pros are in the 75% range for fairways hit most weeks. That is on a tight PGA-calibre course mind you.

70jr
    well i just took a look at my numbers and i have only been keeping track of my stats for the last month and a half and i have only played new courses and a lot of the holes i have played have been dog legs. I am not going anywhere for at least a month so i should finally be playing courses i have played before so i should start to see an increase in fairways hit. Also not all the fairways the pros play are really tight rdh. Some of the courses played on tour the fairways are smaller than my hallway closet and some of them are not that tight at all. but i agree that on average the tour course have to be tighter than what i play normally but last weekend some of the fairways were 15, 20 yards wide at the most.

Fairways hit is a geat stat to keep. Played 9 today and it 5 of 7 fairways to card a 37. For me if hitting fairways or at least being in the first cut/light ruff is important to getting higher GIR's. For me, the goal is to hit 70-80% of fairways.

70jr
    great day bubba, good for you. my goal is 60% in 2 months.

Very doable for you 70's. Keep practicing wit the GC2.

Thread Information