100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Thanks rdh. I'll try to take some pictures of the Dubsdread course. This course is only 35 minutes from my house and cost $155 to play. Not bad compared to other PGA courses. I'll have to play it one of these days and compare it to the simulator.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    That's one of the courses I love playing on the simulator because it's a solid parkland-style course that's not super punishing. I never play courses like Pebble Beach where a pulled shot or a slice often means a 2-stroke penalty because you went off a cliff or out of bounds. I really like Cog Hill, Bro Balsta and Sunningdale (among others) as you can generally play out when you miss a shot left or right (you just end up in trees, but playable). Simulated golf is a lot more fun that way.

By the way, there should be a few more courses coming from Red Chain in the next while:

Congressional
    Aronimink
    Del Paso Country Club
    An updated version of Bro Balsta

Aronimink looks pretty cool from what I saw at http://www.24-hrnetwork.com/forums/t...-club-preview/

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Good on your improvment rdh. Guess it to some extend settles that yes you can improve your score by practicing on a simulator. Same goes for me!
    But I do also believe like you if I read your right that? If you had the option to put in the same amount a time on a real golf course the results would also have come.

For somebody like me that have just played for two years the feedback from the simulator has been great but some lessons from a good golf pro might have done the same.
    I do prefer to teach myself while my wife loves the social aspect of having classes and she would never go and start the simulator on her own.

Yes, I think being able to put in the same amount on time on the course along with a few lessons would get you to the same point...BUT, in Canada we're pretty much out of luck over the winter, which is where the simulator makes a big difference. I also believe a get more out of the simulator than time spent on the driving range due to the feedback. On the range, it's hard a lot of times to tell how far a ball goes, and with the questionable quality of range balls, the reliability of some of the ball flights is also questionable. I find much more value in using the simulator and getting detailed feedback on club/ball speed, and specifics around club path/angle in degrees, plus a consistent, reliable indication of distance the shot travelled. It really is fantastic from a game improvement standpoint.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Well put rdh. I have taken over 40 strokes off my game by using a simulator over the past 6 or so years. (Yes I used to be that big of a duffer LOL). I think that anything that gets you playing, practicing and enjoying golf more is a bonus and the simulators can give you the feedback like nothing else can!

birdyman
    Know my path, Free lunch on my friends dime!

I did not know my club path until I got my GSA Px2 sim. I know I am inside out on swing but did not know how much. GSA said I have 10* in to out path with 2* face open at my middle of stance setup. I did not have enough time to correct my swing and set up yesterday big round because my sim setup is still in process. I played a round with my usual free-lunching-on-me friends with my new open stance with aiming to few degrees to left at address and 2 inch ball forward position. My ball was dead center and near to targets and finished round with SAME ball. Even with my rotten putting and chipping, I still had Great Free lunch on them and expecting more free ones to come.

Good for you birdyman.

10* in/out is a lot. You normally get a lot of big draws or hooks? What is your normal driver swing speed?

birdyman
    I normally draw my shots. I am around ~90mph ( hitting 220~ 250max). I looking forward to improve this winter.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Due to work and other issues I have not been playing on my simulator since mid August. Since mid October I have been in Fort Lauderdale and have been out playing 1 -2 times a week. and another 1-2 evenings on the drive range/ practice putting green.
    Right now my game sucks!
    I played pretty well back in April - June, got under 80 strokes 3 times, now I can't get under 90!
    4 evenings in a row on a drive range did help some. And I am sure a visit to a golf pro would have help too.
    But I really miss the feedback from the simulator telling me whats going on with my swing.

So while this is not a direct testament to lowering the handicap with the help of a simulator.
    It does indicate that the practice time I spend on a simulator is much more effective than the practice time I spend on the drive range!

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Hard to say syhlif32. Sounds like your in a small slump. Getting the sim up and going hopefully will help.

Pitching Wedge thenootz is on a distinguished road
    "Is it true or am I dreaming..."

A happy new year to everybody! I'm a long time reader ( more than 18 months, daily ) of this wonderful forum and let me start by saying Thank You All. I really much appreciate the activity and excellent contribution of such experienced members in topic areas of golf sim subjects. Of course I have the general felling that I already know most of you guys (Zmax, bubba22, psace, RDH, Cory, syhlif, only to mention few... ) so, consequently, great place, priceless information, amazing people...

On subject: I've bought my optishot (first golf sim cuz PS3 and Wii doesn't count ) mid February last year when I had my HCP around 33. Since then I played and practice allot ( average of 1-2 rounds per day plus DR for at least 3-4 days weekly) and in mid September, at my last official local tournament, I had my HCP decreased to 26 and I can say that on my sim usually I had results between 15-20 shots over. Excellent, you may say, and thats my opinion too...but, what happened in the last 2 months it intrigues me the most. Long story short: I had a break from practicing for one month but bought a book and DVD's about Stack and Tilt and gathered allot of info about this swing method. After switching to this and play for the last 2 months (only on sim, never got the chance to try on real course or DR), NOW I have results between 5 and 10 over per round! I even got my first 1 under five days ago and I'm really amazed...but also puzzeled...is this possible and how will translate to real course!? Any thoughts from your experience guys? I guess won't know till spring
    Last edited by thenootz; 01-04-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I found when playing Optishot that I scored about 10 strokes lower than my real on course game. I would venture to say that you will see a decrease in score in the spring but probably not what you are currently seeing with optishot. There are too many variables on the real course to compensate for. Your work and determination will eventually pay you dividends, for sure.

Remember that the DD does not measure the ball in any way. Those shots that you didn't hit square on the club face didn't go as far or as straight as they did on the DD.

You're short game is probably quickest way to lower your handicap. You can only do so much on simulators and the DD is not best for short game practice.

IMO, you might have lowered your handicap to 18-19, from 26.

Thanks guys for your opinions, I'll be happy to play now +18 on a real course

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    Comment re stack&tilt, not hc improvement - I switched to the stack + tilt a couple of years ago and found it to be a pretty reliable swing. Probably took me down a few strokes on average while using it (maybe 9-10 hc to 7-8 hc at the time). Took right side of course out of play. Ball tended to flight a little too low but not terrible, almost always with a draw. Ony bad period I had with it was when my swing plane changed too much and the shanks came out with a fury and I couldn't figure it out during a weekend outing. Ugly. Did eventually figure that out. Ended up stopping using it because it seemed to place too much stress on my left knee. I could really feel it after a few days of consecutive play. Concluded knee stress wasn't worth the strokes. I might not have been doing it right or it could be specific to me, but something to watch it for if you play a lot. As an aside, I had a hard time switching back.

All of a sudden, had exactly the same problem Libbing... Last week started to shank allot, then fired up cam and spotted the back swing plane problem Cleared after few swings in front of mirror, hope will last About the left knee, I wouldn't say so...more of a sore back after 2-3 rounds...

Lob Wedge golfnuts is on a distinguished road
    this is what I have learned in my "Lab" with my GC2 in the past 7 months. Improve handicap? not a fair question. as noted before, the short game of 100 yards and in is the key (see Dave Pelz). putting is excluded. also, the mat is a variable. and when playing the courses, there is NO rough. sand shots play like fairway shots...... WHAT THE SIMULATOR CAN DO: 1. give you accurate readings for carry for each club. and with half and full wedges. and help you hone the dreaded 30-50-70 yard shots. then outside you need to factor the wind, slope, lie, etc. so having reliable yardage numbers for each club should help you hit more greens - which would help handicaps. 2. can improve ball striking. (I would recommend taking a lesson in your "lab".) it is very helpful to know that your 9 iron, for example, ranges from 129-135 yards. as you hit shots (I love the club fitting mode, on a course) if your numbers are low, it is YOU, your swing. not the ball, club, turf, wind, etc. 3. practice like you play. warm up and then hit driver, iron...play your favorite course from tee to green. IMHO, the KEY: practice with a purpose.......

off topic: last night, I had a lesson in the "lab". driver started out a disappointing 220 yard carry vs usual 235. long story short, 30 balls later, I was hitting lots of 250+. I fussed with my position at the top. it was intoxicating - frankly. cannot wait to see if I still "have it" today! nonetheless, I have a new carry number as a goal. (note: I then hit driver and a 6 iron....hooked the heck out of the first several 6-irons. what a game!! see #3 above-LOL).

and to the question of accuracy of the numbers. 1. had a golf pro text me from Orlando golf show that the trackman folks said the GC2 was the most comparable to their numbers. 2. in the big picture, IMHO, it is kind of irrelevant. what matters is that the numbers are consistent. period. IF they are off 5 yards, so what? IMHO, you should be striving for solid ball striking or consistency in carry distances. any of these simulators should give you that very helpful information. which, should help your handicap.....

another subject: I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 cameras to capture my swing? any recommendations? (Bubba- I could not find a previous thread on this subject.)

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    I'd like to add my experience yesterday - haven't hit a ball off grass in four months, have been hitting on the sim every couple of weeks in the garage, really working on getting better - went to Florida, rented truly atrocious clubs with dents in the heads that were 10-15 yards shorter than my clubs and still played 9 holes five under my usual score. I'm convinced simulator work translates to the golf course.

Thread Information