100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    70's

reduced handicap from sim play

how many of you have reduced your handicap index and contributed it to simulator play? What was your handicap before your simulator and what was it after weekly practice. I am looking to go sim for a while instead of the real thing and I want to know if anyone of you has seen a significant improvement do to more practice at your own home?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    We have discussed this before http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=58166. There is also some info buried within the dd original thread. For me no my handicap has not improved one bit with the sim. I hover around the 3-4 mark and really need short game practice to get to scratch.

blackfire
    I don't know yet but I feel more constant so should have drop.

70's
    Thanks bubba I searched for threads about handicap reductions with a sim and nothing came up but I just checked post and your thread came up. With the original thread that you sent I really agree about automatic line up. I struggle lining up correctly with this 2 times a round. Sorry for creating this thread. I will ask again after everyone gets some rounds in to see improvements.

Don't be sorry. There is a lot of info here one these threads and the problem is trying to search for the info.

Sand Wedge SodaBoy is on a distinguished road
    i wanted to comment that sim play probably helps higher handicap players more (like myself 18h) because you can get some indication about your swing - getting your timing right, your clubface, etc.

for lower handicap players (like bubba) i think the necessary improvement is more about "feel" so i think real practice is more effective.

for me personally - my sim play got me to realise how often i slice and to get the clubface more square at impact... in that regard it did help somewhat...

blackfire
    agree with you sodaboy higher handicap will benefit more but still good to practice the swing during the winter to keep the swing

70's
    I guess the real question to ask in a month is did you guys see improvement in some critical areas, did GIR go up and did you hit more fairways with your driver. Most of you guys in snow will be able to get some rounds in and then I ask the question again, so try to remember how many you normally hit before you stopped playing

Wow 70's that is one small font .

blackfire
    In my case, I'n not sure I'll be able to directly relate cause I'm entering in my third season and I'm also taking lessons so all together will probably drop a few point but whon't be able to say if the SIM.

All that said the SIM's will give you the option of practicing shots during bad wheater/winter, and keep your swing in shape but the real game is on the course and specialy in the short game.

If you look at PGA pro's they're not they're GIR stats are not that good the best are around 70-75% and average is more like 60-65% but the short game and putting makes the difference.

70's
    i do not know how that font came out like that. Those stats tell how I played for the day. if I do not hit fairways, I do not set myself up for good iron shots. I play for center green always and that increases my chances for GIR and then two putt for par. That is my game.

Your just like me. I like the GIR stat probably because I need to improve my chipping and wedge play. If I can hit a green in regulation, I rarely 3 put. But If I need to get up and down for par, my stats of making par drop. Just need more chipping/pitching practice.

70's
    That is why GIR is a key stat for me because if you can improve iron play you take all the pressure off chipping. If you miss on the correct side you leave room to chip and it helps getting up and down. It is when you miss your irons on the wrong side you decrease your chances of getting up and down. I always play to maximize the margin of error. And i am going to ask if anyone felt the sims helped hit more greens in a month.

For me the answer is no. That is with the dd and p3pro for the last 2 plus yrs. It has kept me sharp in th winter and obviously has been fun but I have not felt that my handicap nor GIR has improved wih the sims at all.

Putter golferjoe is on a distinguished road
    I used my sim setup for about 3 months hardcare and didn't notice an improvement. I am just now trying to get it all setup again. Hoping for a little more consistency. I think it's gotta help a high handicapper such as myself with enough practice.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    An accurate simulator should help you hit more fairways and greens, and even improve your putting stroke. Of course, if your a low handicap or scratch, the simulator will be mostly entertainment and keep you loose over the winter.

The type of hitting mat is also important. I think that if you a spend lot of time hitting of the DD or P3pro rubber top, you might be scared to take a divot.

Hopefully a few more weeks left around here before I hit the real courses.

That is a good point Z about the mat. I hated the dd and p3pro mat. The Protee mat like the GSA is a Fiberbuilt which is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    That is a good point Z about the mat. I hated the dd and p3pro mat. The Protee mat like the GSA is a Fiberbuilt which is really nice.
    Yup, it allows you to hit down and through, which is what you're suppose to do with irons. As you know bubba22, the feel is amazing.

blackfire
    I think that the GC2 would be more accurate to practice GIR and fairway it measures all needed data from the ball including the back and side spin witch is realy important if you whant an extremely accurate ball flight. But again like bubba and Z said, the Protee and GGS with ball speed, launch angle and ball direction combined with club path and face angle will give a good estimation and will be very close enough to practice accurately.

If your a low or scratch player and whant to improve even more then the C2 is the way to go.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 70's View Post
    That is why GIR is a key stat for me because if you can improve iron play you take all the pressure off chipping. If you miss on the correct side you leave room to chip and it helps getting up and down. It is when you miss your irons on the wrong side you decrease your chances of getting up and down. I always play to maximize the margin of error. And i am going to ask if anyone felt the sims helped hit more greens in a month.
    The reverse is true as well - if your chipping is good it allows you to relax on your approach shots and go for pins that you would bail out on otherwise. I hit between 11 and 13 greens a round but I know I'd have more birdie opportunities if I felt I had a better chance of getting up and down with a slight miss (I'm about 40% on getting up and down from a missed green, thus my 5.1 hcpi).

70's
    I agree there is more than one way to play golf well. I think how you play golf shows what kind of person you are. I am a person that is not a big risk taker but you and I play different style of golf but we would be neck and neck at the end.

9 Iron SDL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    An accurate simulator should help you hit more fairways and greens, and even improve your putting stroke. Of course, if your a low handicap or scratch, the simulator will be mostly entertainment and keep you loose over the winter.

The type of hitting mat is also important. I think that if you a spend lot of time hitting of the DD or P3pro rubber top, you might be scared to take a divot.

Hopefully a few more weeks left around here before I hit the real courses.
    I can confirm what ZMax suggested about potential problems that may develop from hitting off the P3Pro rubber top. Although the P3Pro grass top is pretty firm, it is much better than the rubber top. When I used to practice over the winter on the rubber surface, I was afraid to take a normal swing because I wanted to avoid hitting the rubber too hard. When I re-started playing outside in the spring, I found myself hitting every shot thin and it took me a while to re-learn to hit down on the ball.

I was pleased to see that ZMax also mentioned the possibility that a sim can improve your putting stroke as well as your full swing. This was a pleasant surprise for me since I don't really like putting on sims. What I found, though, is that the swing path data from the P3Pro is great for training me to make a consistent putting stroke. I find it very hard to get the speed right on the sim, but grooving a solid path for the putter head is very helpful for improving directional consistency on the course. I have a friend who "slices" all his putts, and he wasn't able to make a decent putt on the sim because of his exaggerated swing path.

SDL

70's
    Thank you to all who replied to this thread. I have received all the answers to the string of questions I had. Good luck to all that have been affected by the snow, I hope everyone gets to see improvement in their game from the very first round of the year

Gap Wedge Steveh is on a distinguished road
    I am a fairly new golfer and purchased a p3proswing this winter. I have played and practiced on it a lot throughout the winter. I am a 20 handicap and when I first got my sim setup I was shooting 90-100 after getting used to swinging indoors. I find I am missing a lot fewer shots on the sim and new years day I shot an 84 and tonight I shot 79. When I practice on the sim range I am a lot more consistent than I was a few months ago. Whether any improvement will transfer to the course I won't know till the snow melts. I also have my first golf lesson, since my initial introductory lesson 2 seasons ago(I didn't even know how to grip, let alone swing) lined up at golftown tomorrow, so should have a little better feedback and a few things to work on after that.

I am sure it has helped you Steveh. As a general rule I think a higher handicapped player will gain more from the sim/practice than a lower handicapped player. I use mine for swing maintanace in the winter and most importantly fun. I do however want accurate fun.

70's
    Bubba how much longer do you think it will be before you will be able to play again? Since I have been ready posts from 09, you have upgraded a couple of times getting better and better sims. Now with the protee with the putting sensor I would like for you to report what you shot on your first round back, if you do not mind. If you could pm me or put it on this thread that would be great. Let us know how you felt, if you had control over the different shots, and if you felt like your driving and iron play where better the same or rusty. ZMAX if you could do the same that would be great too.

As I will be playing a few rounds next week in Florida I will let you know. I am sure my short game will be rusty. I have never been a big fan of hitting off the mats on the range. In fact I hate it compared to real grass. With the sim there is really no choice for indoor play.

Quote Originally Posted by 70's View Post
    ZMAX if you could do the same that would be great too.
    I'm hoping to play tomorrow. It's going to be 45 but sunny. We'll see how it goes.

70's
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    I'm hoping to play tomorrow. It's going to be 45 but sunny. We'll see how it goes.
    Wow in Chicago already. That's great Z.

Thread Information