+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road

Simulator Computers

There is so much information in this forum regarding simulators, sensors, screens and projectors I thought it was about time to start a thread on the computers needed to run everything. Everybody knows that a fast processor, lots of memory and a fast graphics card are important to a good user experience. A better question is: What are the minimum requirements for a computer to get an acceptable user experience? Those of you with working systems please let us know what kind of computer hardware you are using and tell us your opinion of it.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I7 quad core, 1 gig ATI Radion video card with 6 gigs ram.

Love it!!!

70's
    bubba that is the top of the line

Yah. I originally had laptop but the graphics card was only 256. It was ok but with the new desktop it really runs smooth.

70's
    i bet with that power

blackfire
    I have a AMD 940 quad core 3 Ghz with NVIDIA 250GTX 1Gb and 6 Gb RAM

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    stevnkrn,

It really depends on what simulator you're going to use the computer for.

i.e.

These are my minimums:

P3pro base with Dunes/Highlands
    just about any old single core computer will do.

P3pro/Red Chain, DD/3DD, GGS/GSA, or ProTee 2.0
    Low/medium graphics detail: Dual core, 2 GB ram, 512MB gaming video card.
    Full detail: Triple or quad core with 3-4GB ram, 1 GB good gaming video(ATI 5770)

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Asus gaming laptop.
    i5 cpu 4 gig ram
    Nvidia 360M 1 gig video card.
    Runs DD with graphics on highest quality and can even run programs in the back ground.
    So the video card is the difference any cpu will do.

Getting the minimum requirements is a must. My advice is get the best you can for the money especially if you have any (and I mean any) thoughts of upgrading as you may require more from your computer if you do upgrade.

Sand Wedge SodaBoy is on a distinguished road
    i would say an acceptable performance can be generated by a dual core processor with 2GB of ram and at least 512Mb Video card (dedicated not integrated).

i used this configuration successfully for two years on medium settings... truth is that very little noticable difference can be seen regarding graphic detail when projecting onto an impact screen... therefore medium settings are absolutely enough.

if one is looking to upgrade i would look at the components to be upgraded in this order of importance:
    1. graphics card - check this article for good options http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...6990,2879.html
    2. processor - if your motherboard allows it, moving up to quad core gives a big performance boost.
    3. ram - bigger is better but 4gb is absolutely enough and anything above this gives negligable improvement... ram is not important for gaming - it is important for heavily computational tasks like compiling graphic images or work with cad/autodesk/adobe products.

i have a dual core E8600 with 2gb of ram and a 1gb ASUS ATI EAH6850 - running most of my games (including custom courses from p3p) on full detail and 1920x1060 resolution.

blackfire
    should try what you have and see if it enough then you decide to upgrade or not.

I had nothing so decided to go with something that would be good and upgradable so I can change the quad core for a six core and bla bla bla

It also depends on the course. At full detail, if you have Red Chain courses, Saxe Gotha stuttered like crazy on my dual core 2GB 512 MB computer. On my quad, it played fine.

blackfire
    on the red chain it was also working verry great and will do on the protee as it's the same as the ProX from Martin but with different updates

Also desktop will be more easily upgradable than laptop.

blackfire
    also when you choose your SIM ask the minimum and recommanded requirement

Gap Wedge jrdann11 is on a distinguished road

HELP, Graphics card issue!!!

I have an HP slimline model s5310t and wanted to add a graphics card that had an HDMI output to connect to my projector. Ordered what I thought would fit in a slimline graphics card off newegg.com but it is still too big. Didn't anticipate having to upgrade my computer and I cant find ANYTHING on the web for graphics cards that guarantee compatibility, any suggestions?
    Attached Images

Picture is too small.

Gap Wedge Qnub is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdann11 View Post
    I have an HP slimline model s5310t and wanted to add a graphics card that had an HDMI output to connect to my projector. Ordered what I thought would fit in a slimline graphics card off newegg.com but it is still too big. Didn't anticipate having to upgrade my computer and I cant find ANYTHING on the web for graphics cards that guarantee compatibility, any suggestions?
    Yeah, the picture is hard to see....does the card fit if you leave the case off on the other side? Thats the only thing I think you may be able to do....you would obviously need to keep the case off all the time.....but first option should be to see if you can return this for something that will fit.... I'm not up to date on video cards but I'm sure someone here can help

Gap Wedge jrdann11 is on a distinguished road
    found this http://partsurfer.hp.com/ShowPhoto.a...ber=576698-ZH1

posted on the HP forum. Sucks that it cost 144 bux...Thats what I get for buying a slimline PC.

I like the slimline computers but be aware that the power supply is pretty small and also they overheat very easy due to the limited air space in the box.

Putter compypaul is on a distinguished road
    How well would the Optishot 3DD software run on something like this:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16856173006

I'm tired of carting my intel Mac Mini out to the garage; the integrated intel 950 works but it's a pain and seems like a foolish use of a great HTPC. I'd rather mount a small dedicated box in the garage, pack it with a small hard drive and 2 Gigs of Ram and simply leave it out there all the time. Any thoughts from Optishot owners?

Quote Originally Posted by compypaul View Post
    How well would the Optishot 3DD software run on something like this:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16856173006

I'm tired of carting my intel Mac Mini out to the garage; the integrated intel 950 works but it's a pain and seems like a foolish use of a great HTPC. I'd rather mount a small dedicated box in the garage, pack it with a small hard drive and 2 Gigs of Ram and simply leave it out there all the time. Any thoughts from Optishot owners?

Onboard video card so I would be careful. It may not run that great. ATI is a good video chip especially among onboard chips but I would personally get a system with a dedicated video card.

blackfire
    I can't tell specific for DD but I would think that they're pretty much all similar and like bubba said it may work but I would suggest a dedicatec card.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire View Post
    I can't tell specific for DD but I would think that they're pretty much all similar and like bubba said it may work but I would suggest a dedicatec card.
    I just fear that the graphics card will be an issue.

If you go for it let us know how it works. Might depend on the resolution of your projector if it would work. 1024 X 768 or even 800 X 600 is a lot easier for the computer than running full HD.
    Also DD is easier on the requirements than the other golf simulators so if you might upgrade down the line then that small computer is for sure not the right one.

Projector is XGA, 1024X768, and the Mac Mini with an integrated card handles it well enough. You're right though, if I upgrade to 720 or 1080p someday, the Zotac or equivalent might not be enough. Still, the lure of a small mountable system strikes me as a step up in some ways (maybe with a touchscreen monitor to boot).

I am using a labtop.
    But if/when I change computer it will also be a small footprint desktop.
    Good to save power and I also dislike the fan noise from more powerful computers.

Maybe you can find a web page that compare this GPU with one that DD list can run program.

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    I am using a labtop.
    But if/when I change computer it will also be a small footprint desktop.
    Good to save power and I also dislike the fan noise from more powerful computers.

Maybe you can find a web page that compare this GPU with one that DD list can run program.
    The only issue with the smaller slimline computers is the upgadability. I have a standard tower computer that works like a charm and can be easily upgraded. You can always tuck the desktop away so it is not in sight. There are plenty of fans that are very silent and really that is a non issue in my computer.

Finally decided on the Mini Tower route; assembled it last night and tried it out tonight. Here's the build:

- Zotac Geforce 6100 Mobo $25 after MIR at Newegg (Free Shipping)
    - Mini Tower Case with 350 watt Power Supply, $25 at Amazon (Free Shipping)
    - AMD Sempron single core processor, 2.7 GHz, $33 at Direct Canada
    - Corsair 2GB stick of 1333 DDR3 RAM, $21 at Direct Canada
    - Asus 8400GS 512MB Video Card, $21 after MIR at Direct Canada (free shipping for the three items)
    - 16o GB Maxtor HDD I had lying around the basement

$130 total -pre-tax and if I actually get the the MIRs- for a solid if not flashy machine. Real selling point is that it's easily upgradable and can reside permanently in the garage. 3DD Software runs smoothly and it drives the XGA Epson Projector with no problems. Tried it with a 1080p monitor and still flawless. Seems that Optishot software doesn't demand much from the processor as long as the video card meets minimum requirements.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Always nice to hear when somebody manage to setup a unit affordable.
    Good information, thanks.

Thread Information