100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    (1) It is presumptuous to think that any of the OVGA Board of Directors would frequent a public forum to read the complaints from golfers who are not members of the organization. Complaining publicly is a very poor way of trying to solve something that is perceived as a problem. If the few PP's here who feel they are being short changed by the current policy and who want to effect change, they should do as Marc suggested above and contact the OVGA President and state their case in a positive way.

(2)How well do you think you would be received if a committee of public players, however small, went to the OVGA and started a discussion by saying said, "We would like to be part of and contribute to your organization?"

Marc. Pass the duct tape.
    (1) Perhaps. I don't see it as presumptuous, only as wishful thinking. This is the biggest general golfing forum in Ottawa, after all. I would think at least some people from OVGA would be interested in the overall golfing scene in Ottawa, not just what's happening in the member clubs. I do, however, see your remark as condescending.

(2) About as well as RM and EG were received by GQ.

From OVGA.org:
    The OVGA has two mandates; one: "...to advance amateur recreation and recreational activities through the playing of the game of golf, including the standards of play and competition", and two"...to act as the representatives of Golf Québec in the Ottawa Valley"
    In my humble opinion, the first mandate implies trying to get more people involved, not waiting for those people to start knocking on your door and then think about weather they should be allowed in. GAO seems to get it, GQ and/or OVGA does not.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    What he said.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    (1) Perhaps. I don't see it as presumptuous, only as wishful thinking. This is the biggest general golfing forum in Ottawa, after all. I would think at least some people from OVGA would be interested in the overall golfing scene in Ottawa, not just what's happening in the member clubs. I do, however, see your remark as condescending.

(1) The forum covers virtually anything to do with golf and if you click any time on "New Posts," what posts would be of interest to the Board members of the OVGA? "Dancing Dog Only," "Left hand Fakes," "Countdown to Golf Season," or "The Bored Thread,"? This portion of the thread was started by trying to give reasonable answers/explanations to Goochy's reasonable questions, but has once again deteriorated into another "the Rules are stupid," name calling type discussion from which I take leave.

(2) Classic example of prejudice. Until you have prepared something and discussed it with the current OVGA President, you don't know if your ideas are going to be considered.

FWIW: I would wager that Public Payers in the Golf Quebec will soon be permitted to play in regional golf tournaments. Whether it's the "right" thing to do is a matter of opinion, and that can only be determined when ALL the implications and facts are laid out for all to see. It may just be the politically correct thing to do. Personally, if public players contribute to the local OVGA member golf clubs through their green fees, I would welcome them into OVGA tournaments.

Like Marc, it's time to go away and read a book or two.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    (1) The forum covers virtually anything to do with golf and if you click any time on "New Posts," what posts would be of interest to the Board members of the OVGA? "Dancing Dog Only," "Left hand Fakes," "Countdown to Golf Season," or "The Bored Thread,"? This portion of the thread was started by trying to give reasonable answers/explanations to Goochy's reasonable questions, but has once again deteriorated into another "the Rules are stupid," name calling type discussion from which I take leave.

(2) Classic example of prejudice. Until you have prepared something and discussed it with the current OVGA President, you don't know if your ideas are going to be considered.

FWIW: I would wager that Public Payers in the Golf Quebec will soon be permitted to play in regional golf tournaments. Whether it's the "right" thing to do is a matter of opinion, and that can only be determined when ALL the implications and facts are laid out for all to see. It may just be the politically correct thing to do. Personally, if public players contribute to the local OVGA member golf clubs through their green fees, I would welcome them into OVGA tournaments.

Like Marc, it's time to go away and read a book or two.
    It was, and can still be, a civilized discussion of the pros and cons of letting PPs play in OVGA tournaments. The only "name calling" I could see was Marc's reply to Goochy's post. For some reason Marc and yourself seem to take any criticism of OVGA/GQ policies as a personal attack on the volunteers running OVGA. That, of course, is not the case.

But, fair enough, I agree it's time to end this thread. We've all stated and re-stated out positions and, as usual, will just have to agree to disagree. Again as usual, I'm left with a feeling that we're arguing the same point from different angles, but I guess that's how's it's destined to be.

Thanks for bringing a little excitement into the dull wait for the courses to open

Cheers,
    Alex.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I certainly never felt insulted in any way and I really sincerely hope I didn't insult anyone else during this discussion.

What I do know is that thanks to Marcf's and BC Mist's input I know a whole lot more about the OVGA than I did a week ago and while sometimes people can appear to be "defensive" that is often the case when they are discussing things they are involved in and feel deeply about....I totally get that.

To summarise my thoughts...I was a member of a private club but due to changed circumstances I am now a public player....maybe temporarily. I'm not sure I'm anywhere good enough for tournament golf personally but I was struck by how much tournament golf was available to PP through the GAO. I was unsure as to the reasoning behind OVGAs exclusion of PP from local tournaments.

However, to quote someone much smarter than me "you must be the change you wish to see" and I can appreciate that one must be proactive in seeking to change anything....the onus to change is usually on those who wish to see change, in this case the public players. As to the volunteers of the OVGA...well as some of you may know, I am heavily involved in amateur sport (not golf lol) and have nothing but respect and admiration for anyone who gives up their time and expertise to help others in any way. As Ruskie said, I was questioning OVGA policy...never the personnel of the OVGA.

As I mentioned earlier to BC Mist...I like debate, I enjoy it...it makes me think and question myself...never bad things. Disagreement is not always a bad thing.

cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by goochy; 03-28-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    I just got this email response from the GAO to my email asking when GAO membership packages would be sent out in the mail:
    member benefit cards will be mailed towards the end of March.

I just emailed GAO again this morning and they said they will try and send out membership cards in the next 2 weeks.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Thread Information