100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    i agree somewhat, very harsh, yet I never see anyone have the nuts to enforce that specific rule, from my tournament experience.
    No you haven't as the group pace of play is not in effect locally in any OVGA or Golf Quebec sponsored tournaments.

Why do you feel speeding up play by this means is "very harsh?" Most players would agree that a faster pace usually results in little or no waiting and better scores. As reported above, an early round yesterday was 4:30 but a lot slower later on. Sadly, this is being accepted as the norm. With roughly 60 players scoring in the 70's/60's on Thursday, the course setup was obviously not the problem with pin positions not causing slow play, as they do in some other tournaments. So why are players so slow? (A topic for another thread)

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    So why are players so slow? (A topic for another thread)
    I think most of the slowness comes on the greens. Too much analyzing going on from what I've seen.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

BTW, in the the RCGA system, do I select blue tees or black for the Equinelle round?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    They usually publish a combined rating, but without that I would say blue. They used very few black tees yesterday.

I can use that as an excuse. Practice rounds were mostly from the black.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    By my calculations, there were 9 black and 9 blue tees yesterday.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    65 and -7 for a round...Holy Crap...that is some good golf!!!

I may have to try this next year, shot 80 last week at equinelle with a triple on #7.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    79 for me.....with 37 putts. Only 14 back, LOL. Now if I can have 18 putts Monday, I'll have a chance.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I heard in the afternoon draw the guys that started at 2:30pm finished at 6:45pm on one side and 6:50pm on the other side so that's a great pace for competitive golf. The heat probably kept them wanting to move a bit quicker and they didn't want to stand around forever on the greens. Kanata will surely separate the field as it's not an easy track.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I also understand that Dwight beat the old course record by 4 strokes. Well done Dwight!!!!!!

Kanata's rating and slope are way too low. 72 and 127 from gold? Pffff that's predator's rating!

Bad practice round?

According to the scorecard info on the Clublink page (http://en.clublink.ca/golf/golfcours...COURSE_ID=1510), the course rating is 72.5... and remember it's only a par 70. I would agree that the slope rating is a bit low though.

Oh yeah, par 70. Still needs to be higher slope.

Practice round tomorrow around 5pm.

I should be just walking off 18 around then.

What do you think the next cut will be at? I'm thinking I've gotta shoot in the 70s to have any shot... no small feat for me on that course.

Pitching Wedge klep0005 is on a distinguished road klep0005's Avatar
    Could someone please tell me how you can join?

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    What do you think the next cut will be at?
    Hard to say, it might rain so be prepared for some thick juicy rough

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Kanata's rating and slope are way too low. 72 and 127 from gold? Pffff that's predator's rating!
    Predator is 7009 yards while Kanata is 6714. Since 90% of a course rating is based in distance, that explains why it's rating is comparable to Kanata's, with a few points taken off for its openness. (72.4/72.5)

The slope is a measure of "difficulty" for the bogey golfer (Bogey rating - RCGA rating X 5.381) and relatively meaningless for the caliber of player playing in the tournament.

It would be interesting to compare scores of players playing from the tips of both.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Since 90% of a course rating is based in distance, that explains why it's rating is comparable to Kanata's, with a few points taken off for its openness. (72.4/72.5)

not sure this makes sense. just because a course is long doesn't make it difficult. If you take two courses, both 7000 yds and one is tight with tree lined fairways and the other is wide open, a bogey golfer is going to have a much harder time on the tight course. This only leaves 10% of the slope rating to things like this (not including other factors).

also, I would like to see a comparison of rounds between the 3 courses, equinelle, Kanata and EC. People say equinelle is easy and Dwight shot the lights out from the blues but by the scores from the blues (mostly), it didn't appear easy. Yes weather was a factor it seems but I'd imagine the tees would have been moved to the tips if the weather was better.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Rain / thundershowers forecast tomorrow. Definately not the best year weather wise. Good luck to all.

Played a practice round at Kanata Lakes today. I was surprised at how receptive and (relatively) slow the greens were. I seem to recall that KL's greens are generally hard as a rock and very fast but my short irons were pretty much one hop and stopping today.

Anyway, I played really well today so I'm likely doomed for tomorrow.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    You're right, I played 9 today and they were in good condition in terms of receptiveness, which I guess makes them slower too.

I agree greens were kinda slow, but there are so many crazy breaks on those greens. Gonna be tough day of putting if irons are not accurate.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Remember, don't leave that first putt short like I did today
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I agree greens were kinda slow, but there are so many crazy breaks on those greens. Gonna be tough day of putting if irons are not accurate.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    No you haven't as the group pace of play is not in effect locally in any OVGA or Golf Quebec sponsored tournaments.

Why do you feel speeding up play by this means is "very harsh?" Most players would agree that a faster pace usually results in little or no waiting and better scores. As reported above, an early round yesterday was 4:30 but a lot slower later on. Sadly, this is being accepted as the norm. With roughly 60 players scoring in the 70's/60's on Thursday, the course setup was obviously not the problem with pin positions not causing slow play, as they do in some other tournaments. So why are players so slow? (A topic for another thread)
    The problem with the "group pace of play" policy is that it can, and will, penalize players that have nothing to do with slow play. As a faster player, all I can do is be ready to play when it's my turn, and gently encourage my FCs to keep pace. Failing that, what else can be done? If a player is not at fault, there is absolutely no way that he should be penalized. Frankly, it sounds like an unwillingness by ROs to tell the slower players to hurry up or else....and then enforce their threats once in a while (this may have something to do with the lack of ROs, I understand that. Can't be everywhere at once). Also, it might be a good idea to start making field sizes smaller.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar

I really dont have a problem with it, but the problem is its gonna fall into a grey area for ruling, and as we know there are no grey areas with the amount of rules, how can you penalize 1 guy when 2 guys are slowing up play, or penalize 2 guys cause 1 guy is slowing play, doesnt make sense.

Crap. Looks like those fast running fairways from yesterday at Kanata Lakes won't be there today.

At least it looks like the heavier stuff will be done before the afternoon...

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Good luck today guys, play well. I think i'm going to come out and watch some of the action tomorrow at Eagle. Will the mens tee times be in the afternoon or morning?

I would guess that all of the tee times will be in the afternoon.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I would guess that all of the tee times will be in the afternoon.
    IIRC believe that they do a single crossover in the morning no?

Well... there's generally a dinner/banquet after the round is complete which has been around 6 or 7pm if I recall correctly. Working backwards from that, I guess some of the tee times might be in the late morning but I suspect the majority of them will be in the afternoon.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Good point, I forgot about that...

Thread Information