100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Stay out of the sand traps, they'll be hot enough to fry an egg.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Yeah... I'm off on #10 as well. Tough to make a call on whether I'd rather tee off on #1 or finish up on #9. I think I'll take the relatively easy start on #10 though. Hopefully I'll be doing well enough in my round to play conservatively on 7/8/9. I basically play #7 as a bogey / option par hole anyway (if I was a spectator at this event, I'd be standing somewhere near the 7th green to watch the carnage). There really isn't much of a bail-out area on #8... it pretty much just requires a solid tee shot... even a little too far left and you're OB. As for #9, I'm just going to try and make sure that if I miss off the tee, it's into the left water so that there's still a chance to get somewhere close to the green in 3 shots.

I'm curious to see if they'll really be using the back tees on all of the holes as the tee sheet they provided says. I'm going to make a guess that they won't use the back tees on #7 or #13.

Anyone making guesses on what score will be required to make the cut? I'm thinking 80 or better to guarantee making it although a couple of shots higher might get it done.
    I would be surprised if 82 or better doesn't make the cut. Cut is typically 163 for 2 rounds. Equinelle at 7000yds, I think 82 will be good enough.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Equinelle is a "short" 7000 yards if that makes any sense.

Hard to say what the cut will be since it's only one round. A brain cramp on a single hole could kill your chances. Also, weather could be a factor given the heat in the afternoon.

I'm more concerned about bad weather that prevents the rounds from being completed. In that situation the committee will have to make some hard decisions that I'm sure will leave many people angry no matter what they choose.

Fingers crossed for no thunderstorms on Thursday.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    #7 I have had 160-170 in the last 2 times from the blue and I am not a long hitter. U think they should play it from the back
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    160-170 into a green that you can't miss anywhere but short is a pretty tough shot. Besides, getting closer than that requires taking on the fairway bunkers, so it's not an easy shot even if you're a bomber.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Right. Most of the guys out there are either longer hitters or better iron players so they should be inside of that and if not, have a mid iron in. The course doesn't have a lot of teeth, make them earn this par.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

The blues are a full 50 yards ahead of the blacks, so it is a much different hole. No matter how short it is though the approach is still a hard one.

That being said, if they move up the tees I will be disappointed.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Good luck tomorrow boys, played the course this morning and it's completely mint. One word of advice after playing a whole bunch of Equinelle #13 plays nowhere close to the posted yardage when it's playing even a little bit downwind. The tee blocks were on the 210 mark today and I hit 8 iron pin high slightly downwind. That's normally my 170-175 club to give you an idea of how much shorter it plays. Bring lots of water/gatorade and eat as well!!

Jordan, its probably not too late to sign up and play lol.

Played my final practice round yesterday and while there was no wind, the ball was carrying extra far in the hot air. Should be interesting tomorrow.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    The forecast for Round 2 just gets better and better. The Weather Network is now showing a high of 36 (feels like 47) with a chance of thundershowers AND 30km/h winds. Should be fun.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Good luck today boys...gonna be a doozie!

2 Iron joethepro66 is on a distinguished road joethepro66's Avatar
    I wish guys would play like they do on Saturday morning with their buddies, its just another round of golf. WAY TO SLOW!!!!! speed up please.

Hope we can get today's round complete, I wish I had the 1st time today...............

Good luck

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Just got a text from jvincent who tees off at 8:50. He says: "Tees are mostly blues, especially on the longer holes". I wonder if the organizers decided to soften things up to speed up play and increase the odds of completing play today even if there is an interruption due to thunderstorms. I also wonder if they've made the greens as fast as they were when I played there on Wednesday... they were significantly faster than in previous rounds I've played there this year.

As breezy as things look outside right now, I'd say the cut-line is moving up.

Good luck to all of the competitors.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joethepro66 View Post
    I wish guys would play like they do on Saturday morning with their buddies, its just another round of golf. WAY TO SLOW!!!!! speed up please.

Hope we can get today's round complete, I wish I had the 1st time today...............

Good luck
    LOL...good luck with getting guys to play that way. It's up to the rules officials to keep guys moving. When was the last time in any event (Quebec or local) that we have heard of someone being penalized for slow play?

One round shootout to make the cut, guys are going to "grind". It's going to be slow, I'm just gonna settle in and enjoy the heat (lol). Except for a few, most of us are not as good as you, as you can sleepwalk your way into a top 5...lol.

Good luck to all.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    LOL...good luck with getting guys to play that way. It's up to the rules officials to keep guys moving. When was the last time in any event (Quebec or local) that we have heard of someone being penalized for slow play?
    Under the current system it seems that it IS the responsibility of the RO's to maintain the pace of play. However, I hope we soon adopt the "group pace of play" system that is in effect in the GAO where the players have that responsibility. If you lose 5 minutes looking for a ball, YOU make up the time before the next checkpoint, or add a stroke to your score.

From my officiating and playing experience, the main problem is really bad play, not slow play, and add to that factors like courses that are too long (your handicapped amateurs, not pros), 11+ Stimp speeds on undulating greens and setups that are too difficult.

My earlier Tunis tournaments (late 60's early 70's) saw us often play the rounds in under 4 hours. This year's first round took some in the 5:30+ range, with no-group "out of position" and "on the clock."

With group pace of play, you move your butts or add shots. Simple.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Under the current system it seems that it IS the responsibility of the RO's to maintain the pace of play. However, I hope we soon adopt the "group pace of play" system that is in effect in the GAO where the players have that responsibility. If you lose 5 minutes looking for a ball, YOU make up the time before the next checkpoint, or add a stroke to your score.

From my officiating and playing experience, the main problem is really bad play, not slow play, and add to that factors like courses that are too long (your handicapped amateurs, not pros), 11+ Stimp speeds on undulating greens and setups that are too difficult.

My earlier Tunis tournaments (late 60's early 70's) saw us often play the rounds in under 4 hours. This year's first round took some in the 5:30+ range, with no-group "out of position" and "on the clock."

With group pace of play, you move your butts or add shots. Simple.
    i agree with most of your point except five minutes behind shouldnt equal a stroke that's crazy.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Go get 'em Dwight. Too bad about the pace, especially in this heat.
    Andrew

I teed off at 8:50 and we finished right at 4:30 for the round, so pace of play was not an issue. Quality of play, that's another story.

Here is my tale of woe. Let me start by saying I was awesome off the tee with driver today. Missed two tee shots and those weren't really that bad (one just off the fairway in the hazard and one in a fairway bunker). Irons were another story. I just could not judge the wind and carry conditions in the heat at all on the front nine. It was truly terrible. Throw an iffy putter, missed two really short ones, into the mix and the results are not good.

Here's the line and the hole by hole summary: 48 (back), 43 (front) = 91. 35 putts. 3 GIR. Yeah, that's pathetic.

#10: Good drive down the left side. Just in the left rough. Airmailed the green long and left to a back left pin. No shot. Pitched on but rolled off the green. Chipped on, two putts, double.
    #11: Blasted a drive down the middle. Hybrid just short right. Chipped to about 6 feet. Birdie, Yeah!
    #12: Leaked the tee shot just barely into the junk on the right. Hacked it out to 100 yards. Wedge to about 15 feet. Missed a 2-3 footer for bogey. Double.
    #13: Iron into the right side bunker. Decent blast. Two putts. Bogey.
    #14: Tee shot down the middle to 100 yards. Wedge to about 12 feet. Missed a 2 footer for par. Argh!
    #15: Tee shot to the middle of the fairway again. Approach into the greenside bunker. Missed the par putt. Bogey.
    #16: Completely misjudged the tee shot and airmailed the green into a terrible lie. Ball was in a little hollow. Took two to chop it out of there. Chipped on. Two putts. Triple.
    #17: Driver into the bunker on the corner. Good iron to the front fringe. Putted on from there. Missed another short one for par.
    #18: Smashed a driver. Had 240 or so to the front edge and tried to hit a 4W on. Topped it into the water. First really bad swing of the day. Hit hybrid to just short. Chipped to about 8 feet. Two putts. Double.
    #1: Tee shot to the middle of the fairway. Approach into left greenside bunker. Two putts for bogie.
    #2: Good tee shot. PW that missed left. Missed a short putt for par.
    #3: On the green short left, back right pin. Good first putt to 2-3 feet. Bad second putt. Tap in for bogie.
    #4: Smashed another tee shot. Hybrid to 100 yards. Wedge to the front fringe. Putted up and made a par. First par of the day!
    #5: Another tee shot in the fairway and long. Approach peel off left with the wind into the collection area. Good chip to a couple of feet. Par.
    #6: OK tee shot in the middle of the fairway. Hybrid to the front left of the green. So-so chip. Two putts for par.
    #7: Tees were up, great tee shot to 110 out. Hit a SW a little thin and it bounced on the green and rolled through and off. This is where it gets funny. My ball rolled into the hazard and since I wasn't protecting a score I tried to play it out of the water. All kinds of water and muck exploded out of the hazard with my swing, but the ball stayed in. Ended up with an 8 and covered in muck. It was funny though.
    #8: The people in the house behind the tee had a sign counting balls in the water. Pretty funny. I hit a good shot that the wind pushed off the green. Chipped to a foot, par.
    #9: Tee shot stopped just between the bunker and the water (got a break here). Approach to the front edge. Chipped to a foot or so. Par.

Like I said before judging the conditions was hard for me today. The combination of heat and wind made it tough. Shots that I thought would come up short into the wind were sailing long. Let's hope the weather stays good for the afternoon guys.
    Last edited by jvincent; 07-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jvincent;412094]I teed off at 8:50 and we finished right at 4:30 for the round, so pace of play was not an issue.

If I do the math, that is at least a 7 hour round, was there a break between 9's...maybe I am missing something...wouldn't be the first time or the last...lol

4 hours 30 minutes to play the round. Not bad in hot/windy tournament conditions.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    See, I knew I would screw it up...lol

Very good time for a day like today....

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Like I said before judging the conditions was hard for me today. The combination of heat and wind made it tough.
    I think it was a combination of you not taking a cart and thinking you're still 25 years old that got you today.

I shot 42 back, and 37 front for a 79. My driver was A+ but short game sucked. 10 fairways, 10 greens, 32 putts. I missed so many birdie putts from close range, but finally got one on the last hole. Wind was insane, greens super fast, pace of play better than at Outaouais, heat was tough.

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    Hit the ball really well, I just can't putt

84. With a second kid on the way, I think this may have been my last kick at the can for a few years. O well...

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I think it was a combination of you not taking a cart and thinking you're still 25 years old that got you today.
    The heat wasn't a physical problem, I just couldn't judge how far the ball was carrying.

Good round you big baby.

79, Nice shooting out there today Pablo!!

Thanks dudes. Leader was at 71 when I left, that's some great golf!

Speaking of the heat, I went through 4 large powerades and a bottle of water during my round. I can't imagine how hot it would have felt if there had been no wind.

Putter middave is on a distinguished road
    pace was a little slow- we waited from 7 on- not sure what hold up was
    did make any difference to me
    lost my strokes- 6 -3 putt greens
    and 4 to pen.
    could never get used to greens

Lad in our group was even for day- so was good golf out there

3 Wood Shortswing is on a distinguished road
    Any idea of the cut line ?

Thread Information