CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Lesson

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar

Lightbulb First Lesson

Hi,

I am going for my first ever lesson tomorrow. Since Gregg Foley was highly recommended by most people on here I decided to book with him.

Question: May be a stupid question but, do I bring all of my clubs or do we use training aids and golf towns clubs?

Also has anyone on here gone to Gregg Foley for a slice issue? lol I am hoping he can cure me of my slice

Cheers.
    Just another lefty....

Nvm. Just found out I'll only need a 7 iron.
    Just another lefty....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Lessons usually start with looking at your fundamentals. The slice and other inconstancies will go away once they are fixed so it's all good.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

That's perfect. I would like to start from the ground up. Most of all, my grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Lessons usually start with looking at your fundamentals. The slice and other inconstancies will go away once they are fixed so it's all good.
    Just another lefty....

Just don't expect instant results. It takes dedication. Once you resolve one issue you move on to the next. Don't make the mistake of doing a whack of lessons all at once. Take the next lesson after several practice sessions and playing a few rounds while focusing on the last lesson. How often you practice and play will dictate how long between lessons. Keep up the cycle and you will definately improve over time.

Good luck and report back!

Thanks Kilroy. Will do! And I am realistic, don`t expect to fix everything right away' just want a few things to work on.

Cheers
    Just another lefty....

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I did lessons with Greg and we worked on a fixing a couple of my fundamentals (posture and swing plane). I found that practice sessions are much more important than getting out on the course during this first phase. I suggest hitting a bucket (big one if you're in good shape) a couple times per week during lessons, with your focus on improving on the areas covered in the lesson.
    Even I've never heard of me

Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely hit some balls in between and work on the areas we discuss.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    I did lessons with Greg and we worked on a fixing a couple of my fundamentals (posture and swing plane). I found that practice sessions are much more important than getting out on the course during this first phase. I suggest hitting a bucket (big one if you're in good shape) a couple times per week during lessons, with your focus on improving on the areas covered in the lesson.
    Just another lefty....

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I am currently working with Greg on my swing. As mentioned above if you stay dedicated you will see results...but its imperative that you practice between lessons. Because they are just that lessons, not practice time. If you plan on taking more than one, the following lessons will be of no use if you don't try and implement the previous ones.

Just got back from my first lesson...ever.

Incredible! Gregg showed me that my grip needed a bit of improving, I am swaying my hips, that my shoulders were open, and that I am opening the clubface on my downswing. Showed me how to work on it and even hitting a few balls felt better! It's incredible for me because I have never had any direction, just had my own make shift swing. I pretty much just copied my slapshot Gregg also informed me that my irons should be stiff steel rather than reg. composite..

Anyway, just wanted to post that Gregg is awesome! Very easy going and positive. I will be taking more lessons after I get out to the range a few times.
    Just another lefty....

Can I post a link or the video itself of Gregg analyzing my swing? Is that allowed? I would love to share my video now, and then after a few lessons and such the improvement.

Cheers
    Just another lefty....

You can't upload video to our server but you can link to it if it's hosted elsewhere.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 03-02-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Where does Greg Foley work?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Here is the video link. Hope it works, and don't laugh! I'm a beginner
    http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/incl...swingid=533895

Cheers.

At Golf Town and Kevin Haimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Where does Greg Foley work?
    Just another lefty....

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Which golftown?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Kanata.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Which golftown?
    Just another lefty....

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Forgive me if this appears to be a little on the highjacking side of things but I to am also officially taking my first real in depth instruction.

Sparing the details, I am with Joe Dubinski, out at Tee to Green, Daniel Nadon's turf.

I can't say enough about his passion for teaching, his people skills and ability to listen to what you are trying to say and not what your saying as for the problem in your game.

I have a series of 3 lessons with him. The first one was used to show me on video what the actual problems were after I had described them.

There were 3 problems affecting my consistency, the first one was adressed and by the end of the lesson, I had grasped the concept quite sucsessfully. A couple of trips to the dome and back to Joe.

After watching me bang a few and then showing me the video of before and after, he was more excited about the results than I was! I was ready for the 2nd hurdle.

Obviously I connected with Joe. I say this because if I had not felt comfortable with him from the start, I probably would have not been as pumped to do the drills.

I had read a little about him on the forum over the years and decided that he was the fit for me.

Instead of going on and on let me just say that my experience as been just as delightful.

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    Looks like you're starting with some good instincts for golf. Keep your drills specific and follow your instructor, and you will be well on your way to improved scores and more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by wagolfpro View Post
    Looks like you're starting with some good instincts for golf. Keep your drills specific and follow your instructor, and you will be well on your way to improved scores and more fun!
    Thanks
    Just another lefty....

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    FYI, I took lessons for 2 years in the past but could not really practice and my game improved a bit. I have been taking lessons the last 2 seasons with Marc Levac and been able to practice what he has modified in my swing and my index has dropped 4 points so practice is key. I would also suggest to keep a couple of lessons going in the season
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    That was excellent! Having never taken a lesson before, I think I learned more from that video than I have over the last 5 years from reading G/Digest and instructional books. I will have to look into some lessons for myself.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    There is nothing like video feedback to see your errors rather than just being told about them. It helps as well to see the videos once you have improved to see the difference in your swing.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thanks Luc, I will definitely practice in between my lessons and I plan on taking refresher lessons maybe once or twice a season in the future to keep me swinging properly.

jstaylor: Well worth it!!!!

Cheers,
    Just another lefty....

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Just came back from my First lesson with Marc Levac. He was highly recommended from other members on the site and I'm glad I went with him. I explained the problems I've been having since taking up golf and just from the first lesson I wish I would have done it sooner. I now know what releasing the club means...lol. Can't wait for the next lesson!!!
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Marc is very knowledgable but more importantly he is able to teach. He makes you understand what you are doing and why. He then shows you how to get there. I have taken 3 lessons so far this year and I am booking 2 more. He will get you where you want to go for sure.
    Lefty Lucas

My sentiments exactly!! I have booked a three lesson package with him. In the first lesson, I explained my misses and how the driver this year was a 150yd duck hook. In the lesson he showed me how I should be releasing the club and adjusted my address position to hitting the ball. These were the only things he wanted to work on at the moment. I now have a better ball flight and gaining more confidence in hitting the driver. I went out today and although the score did not show it...my driver and ball striking was much better and I was within my target area. The only thing I really noticed was a loss in distance. Not sure if it was due to the light rain or the new address?

Scott, the key to these lessons is to be patient. I am sure your new address position is not as closed as before so no doubt you will see loss of distance (your 5 iron is not hooded to be a 2 iron). With time it will all be good. I saw a 2 club drop after my first few lessons and now I am 1 club longer than ever.
    Lefty Lucas

That's what he told me....lose at first and then probably gain. I would say I lost a club in distance. But there were a couple shots where I hit it pure and Wow!!! At least now I know through the set up where my ball is going and if I miss left ....it's because I didn't release the club. I'm happy that my driver is getting up in the air now and I have some control over it. Rather be playing from the fairway or rough then out of the trees or hitting three off the tee. It will take some time to adapt but I will be going to the range every day and practice.

That was exactly my problem, not releasing the club and yes once you start hitting it flush you will know it and you will be saying Wow a lot.
    Lefty Lucas

Thanks once again for mentioning him to me!!

Thread Information