CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    One or two swings and seeing changes in ball flight and distance is not enough to make a post claiming that it works. Do a thorough test, take good notes, and screen captures of the relevant data. Also check that the data is accurate. You should be able to tell us what all works. i.e LA, ball speed, ball path, spin, etc...
    You are right Z, a few swing are not enough to say if it is working and accurate. The first post was mainly to say that it does effect the ball flight in the Prem courses which has always been the question. Did it work as "launch angle" in Prem Courses. So yes it does do something but the next step will be how accurate. Tried to do some more quick tests with recording some numbers.

Again this is not a major test but here is one with the PW. My normal PW in real life goes about 120 yds and that I think is with about an 85 mph swing speed by using a radar.

The first set of numbers are just a swing without a ball and how Prem Course reads it.

Club used PW ............BALL SPEED......... LAUNCH ANGLE........... CARRY DIST
    Prem Course without Vector 95.4...................17.1....................... ....88 (way lower than it should be in real life)

Now with Vector Pro on Prem Courses
    Prem Course read.......... 111.0.................... 33.5......................... 106.55
    Vector Pro read................89....................... 32.1.......................... 128

Prem........................... 106.2...................... 30.4......................... 103.19
    Vector Pro...................... 88.......................... 29.4 .........................123

Prem ...........................104.8.................. ...... 33.8.......................... 102.51
    Vector Pro...................... 90............................ 32.7.......................... 124

So launch angle seems to be about +1 in the Prem Couse compared to Vector Pro and does use this in ball flight. Even the visual flight of the ball is much higher in the Prem Course.
    The ball speed is read higher and a bit all over the place but yet still won't give the end carry that the Vector shows but without the Vector info the carry was about 35 yds shorter than my so called real distance.

By using the slider in the P3Pro settings to the + side you can get the ball to carry about the right distance as this was the last thing I tried but for those swings I just used the P3Pro Driving range, but it did bring the carry distance to what the Vector Pro showed within a couple yards

So can I say for sure that it is using launch angle in calculations....YES
    Does it use ball speed... not actual ball speed but it does make the ball carry further but not sure why or what it is using to do that.
    Does it use the side spin or ball flight path... I don't think so as I tried setting my P3Pro pad crooked and leaving the Vector Pro normal and the vector showed a normal shot but the pad read and showed a hit way off line.

Next testing will be with the original launch cam on the two P3pro courses and see what it does to the carry distance with or without LA readings. Still try to compare to the Vector Pro readings but will not enable them into the P3pro.

So as of now I can't say how accurate it is or if it going to make the Prem Courses play better but at least I know it does at least send the launch angle info and it does do somthing that makes the ball fly a lot closer to real life distance.

I noticed that my elivation is closer to 2100 ft and I think I had it set at 1800 ft but that should not make much difference in the Vector Pro. Could doing test swings on certain courses in the Prem Courses change the ball carry? Do you think they use that in setting up the courses? My tests were on the Abu Dhabi. I don't use the end distance as the roll can change a lot but at least the carry should be similar.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Cool. So, it appears that LA is the only data that is used. Not ball speed or spin. I'm curious why the Premium course by itself would show a LA of 17 for a PW. If remember correctly, it just reported the club loft(46 or 48).

A LA of around 30 for a pw is about normal. The carry shouldn't be different on the prem courses unless you're hitting uphill or downhill.

Also, what happens if you try to hit a low punch shot? Can you posts some screen shots?

Cool. So, it appears that LA is the only data that is used. Not ball speed or spin. I'm curious why the Premium course by itself would show a LA of 17 for a PW. If remember correctly, it just reported the club loft(46 or 48). You are right, they call it club loft angle and is 48. Not sure if that translates to a 48 deg launch because the ball always seemed to not fly as high as I would think in the sim. Also if you read some tests I did a while back I said that in the prem courses I noticed when you changed your swing speed it changed the launch angle displayed ( slower swing went higher and faster swing went lower) rather than the actual club hitting the ball area with an upswing or down swing. This may account for the launch being displayed way off in the Prem Courses. They may have a calculation in the wrong spot.

Now with regards to why using the Vector Pro boosts the ball speed that is shown and also boosts the overall carry of the ball. Could just the 30 to 32 deg launch angle give you that much more carry with the same swing speed?

A LA of around 30 for a pw is about normal. The carry shouldn't be different on the prem courses unless you're hitting uphill or downhill.
    But the carry did change (the green was about 2 inches lower than hitting area) by using the Vector Pro. Without it I can't get the PW to go more than 90 yards with a normal swing but soon as I put a real ball down so the Vector Pro can read it, the Prem Course all of a sudden (using the vector info) makes my PW go about 105 yds. Still not as far as the vector pro is showing for carry (which is almost bang on my 125 to 130 PW yds) but it is boosted from something.

I think I heard that for every 1 mph you increase your swing speed you gain 3 yds. If that is close or right do you know how much a ball speed change makes to yardage?
    Does the Vector Pro reading of 88-90 ball speed translate to about 125 yds distance with about 30 deg launch?
    Last edited by SFR; 01-31-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Also, what happens if you try to hit a low punch shot? Can you posts some screen shots?
    I did try some punch shots and the launch was lower and I will try to get some screen shots but I have to admit I am having a screen shot problem. On windows 7 it easy but how the heck do I do this on my laptop with XP? Also I have never posted photos on this forum, do you have to have a holding site for the photos to link to or do you just down load to this site. Or I can send them to you and let you post them.

One thing that I did notice is that you do still need to tell the P3Pro what club you are using because when you hit a PW it may go 110 yds but tell P3Pro its a Driver and swing again and even though the launch is the same 30 deg (about) the ball goes 200 yds or about. No different than it would if you were just using it without a launch monitor. Where as the Vector Pro never needs to know what club you are hitting as it just reads the ball off the face of the club. So we know the P3Pro uses some calculations with its club settings as it did before.

I might try a ping pong ball with the Vector Pro and Prem Course and see if the Prem Course reads a slower ball speed. As long as the Vector reads it I would think the ball speed should be way lower and thus less yardage and if it translates to the Prem Courses with less ball speed then we will know it that is being read.
    Last edited by SFR; 01-30-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: all better now

On my GSA system, when I select a driver but swing a PW, the ball goes 120 yards. With the PW selected, it'll go 115 yards.

Whats with the red letters? You suggesting I'm not reading what you wrote?

On my GSA system, when I select a driver but swing a PW, the ball goes 120 yards. With the PW selected, it'll go 115 yards.

Whats with the red letters? You suggesting I'm not reading what you wrote?
    LOL Sorry but the first message I was answering inside your quote and Red would stand out from the rest of the quote. The second note I never changed the color back and it was getting late to fuss with. I will see if I can fix it... Your luckey I didn't make the text way bigger for the visually impaired I know that would actually help me.... I was a mess for 3 days after getting this Vector Pro and being haunched over the laptop (way too low) for a few hours getting thing set up. My legs were shot...

I know that P3pro needs to know the club to let them give simulated yardage due to the fact they don't read ball speed but just club speed but I wanted to try it with the Vector Pro attached just in case it did read the ball speed into it. I think that if it the test would have been close it may show it was using ball speed.

Still wondering what it would be using or doing to add that much more yardage to the clubs just by using the added Vector Pro launch info? I like that it is doing that as it makes the clubs, for me at least, a lot closer to real life yardage and the visual of the ball flight is much nicer going a lot higher. Now I can clear those fake trees and not feel as bad just going through them....

I do hope you do know how much I appreciate your feedback on these golf sims. And I know you just really want the truth to show about what a Sim can or can't do.

Well I tried the old launch angle camera, that only works on the P3pro courses, and it had a similar result to the shot distance. With the launch angle being used the shots go further just like I found with the Vector Pro was doing, so it has nothing to do with reading somthing else but rather just the fact that the higher launch angle is being used in the ball flight.

So this leads me to somthing that P3Pro may need to look into, regarding how the launch is being calculated when not using a launch cam or monitor. If my earlier testing that showed by slowing the swing speed down the launch numbers went up and by speeding up the swing they went down this may be the reason for low launch angles for clubs with a full swing. The launch monitors over ride those numbers and thus you get what I would call the propper looking shots and distance.

Thread Information